Archinect
anchor

1936 "after the thin man" - why do i thread about film on an architect site?

randy1

nick and nora charles were a couple and the envy of all good sleuths including the police. the films produced in their time were both funny and portrayed an upscale lifestyle of a couple who solved crimes of the day - dialog was king, action was limited, and special effects did not really play a part. depicted in these films are upscale locations, apartments furnished with the latest, and staged like it would be on a stage. human interaction made the movies of that time entertaining.

boring? not relevant?

what works for me and how i relate it to architecture is: how closely people worked together to solve a problem (crime). in todays fragmented society connected by the internet, social media, and cel phone texting how do you find yourself solving the problem?

film buffs welcome to reply to this - ok? 

Feb 25, 12 12:13 pm
citizen

I watched these on TV when I was a pup, and am a big fan of razor-sharp wit.   Powell's and Loy's performances were lighter than air, and the dialogue was achingly funny.  (Brad and Angelina can suck it in my opinion, but I digress.)

In terms of architecture, I'll go with the sets of films like these: I was always fascinated to see on-screen renditions of big, rambling Manhattan apartment interiors.  I always assumed that these were fanciful visions for theatrical purposes.  But if you look at drawings of some of the grand apartment castles built in NYC in the 1920s, you'll see amazing floor plans for one-of-a-kind, 2 and even 3 story apartments that go on forever.

Fun!

Feb 25, 12 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
randy1

"mr. & mrs. smith" was a feeble attempt....eh? the fountainhead set - particularly roark's studio was my dream space at one time - and i don't think  i'm alone here - the apartments, office scenes, backdrop AND dialog kept me glued to the screen the first time i saw the movie. "Hugo" this year evoked the same feeling in 2D - i can only imagine how intense it would be in 3D - dialog included. but - do we work together more closely and better today via our social media cel phone text internet world without personal interaction or was it a closer, a more personal and direct collaboration between client, architect, lending institution, marketing agent, and builder "back in the day"?

Feb 28, 12 7:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: