Archinect
anchor

portfolio paper size...

IADR

is there a specific paper size which MArch schools want work to be printed on.

When looking at at the website of institutions they arent very precise. some say they want it mounted on card, labled with a date and title, want three projects etc but none state the size of the sheets in the portfolio. OR maybe its not important.

anyway, can someone enlighten me in this matter.

cheers.

May 18, 06 7:02 pm
squaresquared

Usually 8.5"x11" (A4) works best. An architect I worked for pointed out that since a file folder is that size, it's best to work within the constraint of standard sizes. Even if they don't specify the format/dimensions, a standard letter-size portfolio is less apt to be lost or forgotten, which is definitely something you don't want to happen.

May 18, 06 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

while I agree with squares, the conservationist/cheapass in me likes 1/2 letter, so you can get two pages out of a single sheet. I also find that A4 sized portfolios from students tend to feel a little sparse. a smaller page forces a more readable density of information, and also forces you to be judicious in what you include.

of course, depending on the work, what I just said could be complete hogwash.

May 18, 06 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

i printed double-sided 11x17 on a laserjet printer, used some nice matte paper as a cover, stapled down the center, and had a nice 8.5x11 book at the end. cranked out four of them. total cost = $0

oh yeah, i had to sneak into my office at 5am one day to do it but was worth it because i think kinko's quoted me something like $30 a pop.

can't go wrong with 8.5x11. could go cute and small, but could be interpreted as trying to hide something in the small format. don't be shy.

May 18, 06 8:12 pm  · 
 · 

I like an 8x8, so that you can use the great variety of papers that only come in 8.5x11, but trim so you can have full bleed. Plus I think 8.5x11 proportions look like term papers...

May 18, 06 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
parallel38

Usually 8X11 works best anywhere. The content on the sheet is far more important than the actual print size

At Yale though, paperclip your RAMSA pay stub to the front of your portfolio, and you're in! ;-)

May 18, 06 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

it isn't time yet, children.

May 18, 06 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I made mine as a 6"x9", so two page spreads became 12"x9". I agree with ^ that 8.5x11 feels too much like a term paper. I liked the idea of it feeling more like a novel and less like a coffee table book. Plus smaller pages are easier to digest, esp. with a full bleed graphic and lots of text.

May 19, 06 10:40 am  · 
 · 
ksArcher

Heres a question: Has anyone tried or would recommend or not recommend having a 'foldout' portion of the portfolio- say for a project with extensive content which needs to "fold-out" to be three pages wide simultaneously... is this simple, yet specific technique dangerous to build into the layout of the booklet? Or is it worth laying it out that way?

Jul 11, 06 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

From what I gather, keep it simple, no major tricks. They blast through them. But, you also want to stand out. It's a balance I guess. Mine was pretty ugly and I got in.

Jul 11, 06 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

how did you guys bind yours? i hate the metal and plastic coils... i was thinking of getting mine printed on lulu either saddle stitched or perfect bound. or should i try to be more "creative" and do something myself?

Jul 12, 06 9:17 am  · 
 · 
xray

hasselhoff is right.
go only for A4 (8.5x11) and no funny tricks.
simple is best. it allows to focus on the content rather than on the format. when they discuss the different applicants, do you want to be refered to as the one "with this and that project" or the one "with the brown leather bound oversized booklet"??
you are applying to arch grad school, not a book binding course.
same goes for job applications. bullshit is not appreciated.

Jul 12, 06 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

rationalist . . . I also did an 8x8 portfolio . . . inspired by Daylight photo magazine

Jul 12, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 
tempdrive

think about how you want the reviewer to look at it...the size of the portfolio will determine the physical actions required by the reviewer...large pages mean a deliberate turn of each page, small pages can be thumbed or fanned through...how do you want your work to be displayed?...etc.

Some schools have specific size requests...some schools keep all the applications and portfolios in an oversize box so size doesn't matter...

remember to spend more time on your work and how the work looks in the portfolio than on the construction of the portfolio itself...(binding/cover type/ paper type, etc...important, but not as important as the work

Jul 12, 06 11:12 am  · 
 · 
e

while i agree to keep it simple and place the focus on your work [not the graphics], i don't think you have to limit yourself to 8.5x11. that said i would not choose something too small or too big, and find a proportion for the sheet that is well suited for both vertical and horizontal work.

Jul 12, 06 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I had an interviewer actually thank me for doing a larger size portfolio(8.5x11) His opinion was that he was older (mid 40's-50's) and it was hard for him to read the smaller sized portfoilios that were all the rage at the time.

I know a fellow graduate who made a 5x5 portfolio. Nice but didn't tell a complete story.

Jul 12, 06 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah, 5x5 might be a teaser you'd send in the mail to get you an interview, but you'd be a fool to walk in with something that small for an interview.

Jul 12, 06 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
AP

along the lines of e's earlier comment:

choose a format / orientation that suits your work.

I've just begun my portfolio for to apply to grad school this December/January. Due to the nature of my design process and the resultant documents, I have decided to go with an orientation that will allow wide spreads. This could be accomplished with a square book (8x8, with 16" spreads) or with a rectangular book (8.5x11, but with landscape orientation - this would give you super wide 22" width; or something more like 8x10 - still wide spreads, but not as obnoxiously large...)

Jul 12, 06 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
sparch

thanx for ideas.
i am going to be in my 4th year, and i need to make a portfolio soon. i was "planning" to work on my portfolio during summer, but i am not working on it. =(

if you have simple 8x11, wouldn't your professors, or reviewers from grad school think you are not creative?

i think 8x8 ideas are great. i am going to steal it =)

Jul 13, 06 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
jwo

why not go wild with landscape format?

Jul 14, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
mwolmosp

mine was 8x10L to allow for a full bleed on 8.5 x 11. It was inspired by RISD Spirals.

Jul 14, 06 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
mwolmosp

Oh yah, I also bound it hardcover at "book1one" in NY. Highly recommended.

Jul 14, 06 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: