Archinect
anchor

New York Jobs

Northeaster

Has anyone been able to find a job in NYC without first having to move there?

May 17, 06 10:02 am
Barrett

yes. Why does it seem that NYC is the only place that people believe it necessary to move to before applying for jobs? I never really got that impression during the interviewing process. I'd say to have a realistic and well planned time frame for moving to New York, so that when a potential employer asks when you can move to NYC by, you have more to answer with than "Uh, soon i guess". That's going to be the first question they ask you right after they ask if you live in NYC already. Keep in mind the absurdity of apartment hunting in NYC when figuring your schedule...I'm thinking this is probably why most people choose to move first then job hunt.

May 17, 06 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Northeaster

Barrett, do you mind saying a bit more about your own job hunt experience?

May 17, 06 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
Christopher Connock

yes. i found multiple jobs in NYC out of the cosmopolitan home base of Richmond, Va.

most firms in NYC, when given a firm plan/time table (as previously mentioned), are open to out of staters. i actually found cities out west to be more hesitant - probably because of the cross coast commute.

research neighborhoods, set a budget, talk to landlords or brokers (shudder) - then - if the employer asks/grills you on your plans - you seem informed and on a mission.

in my case, my current employer set me up with his landlord.

that said - there are a few that screen based on location, but thats mostly because of hiring time frames (quick) and nothing against your specific geographic region.

May 17, 06 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

I'd turn it around an say it's not really discrimination, it's just one more card you're able to play when trying to be a good candidate.

May 17, 06 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

NY sucks. All these rich people and Europeans. God I hate Europeans...

May 18, 06 10:54 am  · 
 · 
too many lines!

you can bet that they hate you too

May 18, 06 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

I was joking CLOWN.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

May 18, 06 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

On a serious [cereal] note:

I moved here two years ago from North Cakalaaaak and honestly, I never ran into any problems during interviews regarding my, then current, living situation. I explained that I was moving to NYC in a week and would be able to start then.

I think it is just another card you can play up as theNewOld said.

May 18, 06 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
Barrett

same experience here, just made sure that every interviewer knew I was intent on moving to NYC so they didn't feel like I might be wasting their time. All were pretty flexible in allowing for my schedule, especially b/c I was a week away from finishing grad school so they knew I would need a little time to wrap things up before moving.

May 18, 06 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: