Archinect
anchor

entry to Architectural Association harder than Cooper?

soulikeit

what do u think?

May 16, 06 5:39 pm
Aluminate

Admission to Cooper is much more competetive than to the AA.

May 16, 06 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

You know what I haven't had in a while? Big League Chew.

May 16, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
orEqual

Push or pull: you have a 50% chance of success during normal operating hours.

May 16, 06 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

actually, at the aa you can just walk in.the rich-muji-clad-asian students are enough of a crime deterrant, i guess.

May 16, 06 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
alexan

the security gaurds at copper are dicks. Guys seriously ask for my id after they see me step out for a cup of coffee.
of course there is a rich patina of bums coating astor place

May 18, 06 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

depends i know that if you are applying for diploma school at the AA they usually ask some students to repeat third year. Not sure about Cooper Union although i'd imagine it would be difficult to get in since it's such a good school

May 18, 06 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
soulikeit

wat about first year?

May 18, 06 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
soulikeit

wat about first year?

May 18, 06 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

The Cooper Union states that their acceptance rates for the architecture and engineering schools range from about 10% to 12%. That's the rate for people entering as freshmen. Cooper is somewhat more selective with transfer students, and also has a reputation for putting most transfers into a class that is behind where they would have been if they stayed at their original school - for example putting people who are transferring after their 3rd or 4th year into 2nd or 3rd year studios at Cooper.

The AA does NOT publish their current acceptance rates. It seems from your other thread that they have even told you this directly.
Therefore there is no way for anybody here to tell you how hard it is to get accepted - whether into foundation or first year.

Think about it: the only thing that people who have applied know is whether or not they were accepted. All they could possibly tell you is "I got in" or "my friend got in" or "everyone I know got rejected" or whatever.
The only way you could possibly find out the actual acceptance rate would be to poll a significantly large pool of people and chart their results.
But even then, people who get rejected may not want to tell you about it, and/or they may no longer be hanging around architecture discussion sites. And people who got accepted are pretty busy.

Why don't you just apply and see what happens? And if you get rejected then try what lots of us did to get where we wanted to go: apply two or three times until you get in.

May 18, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

soulikeit... soulikeit... soulikeit !!!

May 19, 06 10:28 am  · 
 · 
spiderdad

americans school are easier to get into than british schools - but the good british school are very difficult to get out of. (ie. they will fail your ass, again and again - if you don't make the grade).

May 19, 06 11:38 am  · 
 · 
dlb

beyond all the different reasons why one school is harder/easier to get into than another (admissions criteria, system of reviews, current fashionability and interest, size of intake) it should always be kept in mind that there is one primary difference between cooper union undergraduate and the AA undergraduate: cooper is FREE. to be accepted to cooper union is to be given the incredible privilege of a 5 year B.Arch degree for almost no cost (other than housing, supplies, some student fees).
the AA on the other hand manages to exist almost exclusively by charging fairly high fees - for the full 5 years.
therefore, the cooper union has the luxury of selecting students, of whom there are very large numbers of applicants for such few positions (about 25 - 30 new first year students each year), partly because the school has a very well-earned reputation, but also because where else do you get to study in the centre of manhattan for free.
the AA hopes to choose the best possible students from all those that apply and can AFFORD to come to the school. in times of financial pressure, the AA will opt for "potential" students if they show they can pay. this system has worked for the AA as evidenced by a long history of very talented and creative graduates - much like cooper.

May 19, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
PROPHET OF DOOM
May 19, 06 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

forget the cooper union, soul. the AA's the place to be. now go over to the other thread and piss the hell out of everybody again.

May 20, 06 8:36 am  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

entry to the bartlett was at about a little under 5% this year...

May 20, 06 11:05 am  · 
 · 
d-t

Profile with Cooper indicates in 2004, receives 543 applications with 19 admitted into first year, equates to 4%.

May 21, 06 3:21 am  · 
 · 
spiderdad

Lateral, are you sure about that...?

i didnt realise the bartlett was so picky...

is that for BA or Diploma...?

May 22, 06 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: