Archinect
anchor

PHILADELPHIA!!

Hasselhoff

SUPER HOAGIE! Do you guys know of whom I speak? That guy that delivers the sandwiches with the giantass helmet and the big mustache.

May 17, 06 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
AP
Or else she has always been everywhere, I'm not sure which.

^I'll go with that one...

May 17, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

no man whos super hoagie? Hasselhoff dont you guys at penn have a guy who delivers fresh baked cookies and ben and jerrys ice cream to your door? i remember reading it in the CP once and got immensly jealous.

May 17, 06 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

And the original Lee's Hoagie House is just down the street from the mother lode of Trumbauer Palace Architecture. I mean, why would anyone every leave that?!?

Seriously though, I have to get ready and do some stuff today. First I have to go to PNC, the quondam Olney Federal Savings whose early 1960s rebuilding is a remarkable reenactment of an early Mies van dar Rohe unbuilt Berlin(?) villa. Virtually know one else but me sees this, but I'll bet you anything that's what the architect(s) looked at. And then I'm off to check things out after all the rain at the quondan Swedish fort--gosh, now I'm wondering how many 17th century Swedes were every buried there.

May 17, 06 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
brand avenue

Hasselhoff, do you mean the guy on the bike? Around Penn?

May 17, 06 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Yeah. That guy is a disaster. I saw him trying to hand over some sandwiches, take the money and hold his bike up at the same time. It was awesome.

Quix: I would like the meet said cookie person. Maybe that's one of those things where your parents can send gift baskets or something. We usually just scavenge the left overs from reviews.

May 17, 06 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Hasselhoff, your welcome.

Insomnia Cookies.

May 17, 06 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Weird, they are only open over night haha.

May 17, 06 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

Instead of our more usual postprandial drive, Otto and I took a postprandial walk in Pennypack Park, the fist time this year. We've kind of routinely taken the same walk during the warmer months since 2001. All the geese were out of the creek and resting under the trees, some mallards just sitting there too, and lots of little geeslings. And then a brother and sister sitting on a rock where the creek babbles a bit. And then, as we approached the two-year-old 'no mow zone' thoughts of old Swedes entered my mind. I stopped and looked around and yes this was always my favorite view during our walks--favorite as in "subtle pleasant sensation."

We didn't walk all the way to "the point" this time because Otto didn't want to; I wanted to though. So we went straight to the bridge, though Otto decided to sit on the bench just before the bridge, and I went on to look for tiny, tiny fish. Then a horseback rider came along and it was amazing to feel the weight of the horse on the bridge as it strode barely four feet behind me. It was around 5:40pm--was that before or after Barbaro fractured his leg?

Since not going to "the point" made our walk a little too short, I suggested we walk back the way we came along the creek instead of taking the main trail straight back to the car. Otto was fine with that, and then again the thought of old Swedes entered my mind at my favorite view--it's that vantage of the far western sky that I like most.

Now it's neat to realize that old Swedes took walks in Pennypack Park too, even before there was a Philadelphia or a Pennsylvania.

May 21, 06 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

quixotica - Interestingly enough, I've heard through the grapevine that the PECO building is looking into "upgrading" their scrolling message sign.

May 25, 06 9:42 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

Oh yeah? HDsignage in the works?

I don't know how I feel about that. I mean yeah the sign is old and outdated, but I mean, its so quintasential philadelphia.

May 25, 06 10:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: