Archinect
anchor

Rhino/AutoCad/Maya Summer Classes?

earendil

I am looking for short summer classes on the above computer programs, preferably in the Boston/ Amherst, MA area during the summer before I start grad school. Does anyone know anything about them?
Price range, whether they are good, etc.

May 15, 06 5:02 pm
squaresquared

It's a trek from Boston (and really far from Amherst), but RISD usually has Continuing Ed/Summer programs in Digital Media... Might be worth checking, but generally pretty expensive.

May 16, 06 9:39 am  · 
 · 
allcaps

Check the BAC. Expensive, but the evening 3d studio max class I took has ended up being very worthwhile.

May 16, 06 9:41 am  · 
 · 
earendil

Allcaps, what's the BAC?

I was thinking of going to some nearby community college, and take a week's introduction to AutoCad, or Rhino–but i haven't seen any that offered courses yet.

I am familiar with Vectorworks, but I don't know how similar it is to Autocad. Does anyone know?

May 17, 06 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

BAC = Boston Architectural Center. Arch school.

May 17, 06 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
okay

If you learn Rhino First, you will not have to take Auto CAD classes. AutoCAD =Rhino minus the Z axis. Trust me.

May 17, 06 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Wow. Maya first. What a world we live in.

May 18, 06 1:07 am  · 
 · 
allcaps
http://www2.the-bac.edu/schedule/index.cfm?req=Summer

Look under computing. They have Rhino, Autocad, Form Z and 3d Studio Max.

A nice thing about the BAC is that their classes are geared towards architects and visualizing architecture. Sometimes at community colleges, there is some bleed over from other disciplines.

I've taken continuing ed classes a bunch of places, and the BAC has some of the best. Hell, take a studio while you are there. Crazy place. The only thing I've found that beats it is the Art Center in Pasadena:

http://www.artcenter.edu/atnight/

How about topping off your class in Solidworks with an intermediate transportation design studio? Introduction to inteplanetary spaceflight taught by the head engineer of the Cassini project at JPL? Double crazy.

I'm back on topic: take Rhino.

May 18, 06 1:19 am  · 
 · 
tman

hey i'm looking for a class too, but in la area...preferably night class and CHEAP!

May 18, 06 3:03 am  · 
 · 
tman

la = los angeles

May 18, 06 3:04 am  · 
 · 
tman

nobody's heard of anything?

May 19, 06 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

in california try community colleges, dirt cheap and laid back but practical, for working people who just want to learn it and get home to their kids. I took a good CAD course in Oakland for like $25, no kidding.

Do AutoCAD first.

May 19, 06 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
tman

ya cause i just graduated college and i dont want to pay 1,300 dollars for 6 sessions of art center.

May 20, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: