Archinect
anchor

when builders go for the green

tworings

this is an article about a zero-energy house in oklahoma that was built for under $200,000. sounds good, right? that is what i thought until i read the article and looked at the pictures. i guess it is a step in the right direction...maybe a really small step.

http://www.housingzone.com/article/CA6332828.html

also, the best quote in the article has to be: "Every time they do a demonstration site, they run out and they hire some brilliant architect and they go off and they build this one-off amazing house that sticks out of the neighborhood like a prairie chicken, and it costs a million dollars."

now i'll get back to pursuing a career as a "brilliant architect" specializing in designing "prarie chicken houses".

May 15, 06 4:53 pm
tworings

*"prairie chicken houses"

May 15, 06 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
nosnarb

Ideal homes is one of those builders that builds 50+ of the same house in a single neighborhood<see photos in article, take the photovoltaics off of the roof and it looks like any other Ideal home in OKC>. Cheaply / poorly constructed. For some reason Oklahoma <specifically Oklahoma City, Moore and the majority of Norman> tends to be fearful of anything progressive.

I guess what i'm saying is that yes, its a step in the right direction but it may be the wrong person doing the walking

Also notice all of the windows on the south side of the house <under the photovoltaics> with no shading devices. Hooray for geothermal and solar panels.. I bet if you looked only at the summer months the house is nowhere near "net zero"

May 16, 06 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: