Archinect
anchor

Graphic Designing without use of design software.

soulikeit

I've been toying around with the idea of graphic design without computer aid but using art materials instead.

pt is i do not know how to go about doing this. anyone knows anything about this, like the materials i should get and the method.

THANKS A MILLION>

May 9, 06 4:26 am
Nevermore

paper and pencil.

May 9, 06 4:38 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

paper and pencil,sweetie.

May 9, 06 4:38 am  · 
 · 
soulikeit

nevermore, i see u are always online eh?

on a more serious note, like okay paper and pencil. wat about the colours?

May 9, 06 4:40 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

soul..i see you have a lot to learn , eh ?

Learn to sketch sketch sketch ( using your hands ) before you start to click click click.

( pencils, charcoal, colours whatever )

It may not be the final tool but it can never be replaced TOTALLY, There's NO substitute for that.
:)

May 9, 06 4:48 am  · 
 · 
soulikeit

I KNOW THAT C"MON> I"M A FINE ART ARTISTS MAN.

what i meant is that can u do graphic design using stencils or something?

May 9, 06 4:54 am  · 
 · 
Israel Kandarian

look at the work of karel martens and paul elliman - namely "counterprint" and "bit fonts," respectively.

May 9, 06 5:44 am  · 
 · 
soulikeit

i appreciate the help you guys have given but questions still remain unsolved...............

i think u guys don't get wat i'm trynna ask......

my problem is i do not have a photoshop, illustrator pc software and was just wondering if old school traditional design work on paper and using paint to do the graphics would work. but i don't know what art materials i should get for that though.

May 9, 06 7:22 am  · 
 · 
soulikeit

like is there another alternative to computer softwares?

May 9, 06 7:22 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

screenprinting

May 9, 06 7:29 am  · 
 · 
bigness

soul, why don't you go to a library and have a look at graphic design history books?
graphic design was born a lot before computers, how do you think they did it?
look at early 20th century advertisement, 1960's bluenote album covers, constructivist posters...go to your local library, you will learn a lot more that by posting questions on archinect.

May 9, 06 7:31 am  · 
 · 
soulikeit

dude, this is a basic quesiton that would not be answered in some random college level book man.

is there a way u can do graphic design other than high tech means

May 9, 06 7:40 am  · 
 · 
bigness

dude, that is a basic question that you can probaly work out yourself, just like all the other questons you've asked so far.

how about look at the book, figure out how they did it?

grafic design=drawing

what you are asking is: how do i make a drawing without a computer.

isn't that a dumb question?

May 9, 06 7:57 am  · 
 · 
trace™

very vague and random question. You need to define exactly what you are looking for.

What's wrong with paper and pencil? That can't be graphic design?

Ink on Mylar? Collage? Spray paint? Spray mount?

It's an endless question. If you can't figure it out from these suggestions or on your own, I highly doubt you'll be able to make that graphic design.

May 9, 06 8:28 am  · 
 · 
soulikeit

wat i'm saying is that graphic design on computer looks more professional looking as it often combines realistics elements like photographs and high tech vector art.

handdrawn posters are not gonna look professional and will look rather sketchy

May 9, 06 8:35 am  · 
 · 
D7mY

i think that u maybe wondering if u can use manual tactics to give u a computer one......like for example the transperency that u get in photoshop.....

u need to color it then u can make a little faded....u have to pick the material....like tracing paper.....and then color it....like u can dip it in a color.....

what i c that u dont have options like what the computer gives u....but u made be a little more creative with ur selections and how u can get the effect that u need to get....

did u watch any of those shows on kids T.V. channels??....the use diffrent materials any thing could come in handy....

May 9, 06 8:40 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

old school graphic design tools:
screenprinting, linoleum block, wood block, metal press
letterblocks
found materials
pantone
rapidograph pens
exacto knife
glue
stencils
letterpress transfers
blender marker transfers (from photocopies)

May 9, 06 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Try Google
May 9, 06 10:46 am  · 
 · 

soulikeit- Look at the posters of Alphonse Mucha. Not 'sketchy' at all. Brilliant, smooth, clean, professional. Something that people might try to do on computers today, but would probably never achieve. Many graphic design still choose to commission hand illustrations for some of their projects, so I don't get why you think this is such a hard question. It's STILL BEING DONE. Just do it already.

May 9, 06 11:01 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I went to school for graphic design from 1990 - 92

used lots of

letraset
xactos
stat camera
wax machines
tacky glu (you do not want it to stick, in case you need to move said item)
rapidograph pens
prismacolor pens and pencils
india ink and brushes
for transparency use clear film as an overlay.

I also have been screenprinting since 1988 - but I am not sure you are trying to screenprint a project....though, I have done it...and professors love it.

May 9, 06 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Look at the command list of Photoshop. All of those filters etc are named after hand techniques. They looks good if you are skilled (not saying I am). Look at some of those old montages of Mies et al. They still look pretty cool. My friend actually uses Photoshop to make stuff look grungy and hand done. A lot of his work (especially his old website) started out all manual.

digitally branded

Apparently he's very well known in Korea haha.

If you want SUPER crisp clean stuff, you might need to use a computer. If you are going for techniques that are computer based, yeah, you need a computer. You have to know the limits of the mediums. Can you overlay a translucent copy of a magazine photo on a rock texture using glue and paper? Probably really really hard. But can you get a cool gritty stuff that you could never get in the PC without spending 97234324 hours. Use a triangles and rulers and a Mayline. It's all possible.

Also, if you are as concerned as you seem to be...get Adobe CS and stopping whining. Frickin' bite the bullet.

May 9, 06 11:38 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

"Can you overlay a translucent copy of a magazine photo on a rock texture using glue and paper? "

stat camera and spot color fills....that is how it used to be done.

May 9, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

photoshops channels are very similar to films in the analog world while the layers are representative of color fills.

Hasselhoff is correct, photoshop was designed to be everything the graphic design world was in analog, digital. Knowing classical graphic design helps knowing photoshop emmensely.

May 9, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

And, soulkit asked about colours.

Almost all classicallly made graphic design was done as black and white only. All color is defined as fills to the printer, but the design itself was done as black and white for production purposes.

Printer makes filmes and uses them to lay down the color information defined by the graphic designer...service bureaus are not around in near the numbers they used to be.

May 9, 06 11:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: