Archinect
anchor

charging for web design

mad+dash

I am designing my first website for a client and I don't know how much to charge. I believe it will come out to about 10 or so web pages. I think I will spend a week to a week and a half on the project, logging in long hours. Most of that is being spent on how this new program works and messing with the all the functions and parts of the program...how much should a beginning web designer charge?

May 5, 06 9:02 pm
mespellrong

do two things: first look up what the lowest salary someone with web experine in your area will take based on the technology you will be using (e.g. all dreamweaver might be $8 an hour, handcoded html might be $16 and php with a DB interface might start at $32). Tell your potential employer that that is your hourly rate -- because some portion of your time will be refining your knowledge of the end to end process. Then second, bill them for every hour you work.

May 5, 06 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
pencebor

usually it is $20-40 per page for html, and something like $800-1000 for full flash site. make sure if they need regular maintenance, because this can be very time consuming. maintenance is usually $10-15/hr or something like $30-60/month. but i again, i don't know what kind of website you are making and what is your current skill level. try this website, it is website specific: http://www.billybussey.com/forum

May 6, 06 12:06 am  · 
 · 
trace™

pencebor - I am guessing you aren't in the US? Those prices are absurdly low!!

I would look at your salaries/prices in your area and go from there. Don't worry too much about the pages unless it's a simple html site and each page is similar. There are too many variables to account for i nthe design for this method to work well.

May 6, 06 10:13 am  · 
 · 
pencebor

I am in US, I just think that beginners should not be charging as much as pros

May 6, 06 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Those numbers are ridiculous at any experience level. You might as be doing it for free.

May 6, 06 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Which is not to say that you must charge more for your services, just that it is well below industry standard.

May 6, 06 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

Thanks everyone...I think I will charge him 20/hour...that seems fair to me.

May 6, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I'd go for a flat fee and tell him you are giving him a reduced rate for experience, but it will take a little longer. If you don't know that much, you will spend time learning and shouldn't be charging for that time. A flat fee and everyone is happy.

May 6, 06 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Sorry, but it's pretty rare for a software project to not include some learning curve. Under the best circumstances you know exactly what you need to learn and exactly how long it will take, but most of the time there is some time lost hunting down the answer to how you get a specific command to work in the antiquated version of php the client's host is using, or how to get that slick button action to work the same in all browsers.

May 6, 06 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
pencebor

I remember when i was a beginner, I spent very long time trying to learn flash, and I didn't feel like the client should pay for my education. Those were the fees are charged, its maybe be lower than standard, but at least it didnt make the client too demanding. So what I am trying to say is, my first website for a client was kind of like an experiment if I could really accomplish what I told the client I could. It would be embarrisng if you charge the client with a standard rate and at the end fail to meet the client's need. Money is important, but overcharging for something you are not even sure you can do is redicilus.

May 7, 06 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
pencebor

on the other hand, it really sucks being underpaid, so i understand you point.

May 7, 06 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I actually think the flat fee ensures there will be neither. You know exactly how much you are getting and he knows exactly how much he's paying. If you charge hourly, he has no idea and you don't either, opening the door for problems down the line. You could have a 'not to exceed' clause, but I don't see why you'd bother (just more confusing for everyone with no benefits).

I'd just emphasize that you are giving a deal, so expect it to take a little longer. Just make sure you have in writing what you are doing - for both of your records.

May 7, 06 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
anti

I second trace on the lump sum contract - its always my first choice of contract structure. If you need to be focused - the quicker you work the more you make per hour. If you want to explore, you can take all the time and effort you want and the client wont balk at extra charges. That said, I royally underbid my first handful of lump sum bids.....

May 7, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

Very Helpful. Thank you everyone, I will take your collective advice to heart.

May 7, 06 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
vinatieri

$3000/manweek. 2 meetings. Don't undersell your talents, if the client balks, walk.

May 7, 06 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: