Archinect
anchor

what is the technical term for this type of structure?

Davidbeede

And does anyone know where it is located?

Feb 18, 12 9:38 pm
Janosh

The form is that of an apse, though they are not usually free-standing.

Feb 18, 12 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

it's also a wedding ceremony

Feb 18, 12 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

Are you asking constructively (I mean in a constructive terminology)?

If the answer is yes, in spanish that kind of structure are called "semi-cupula", I don't know what would be the english term (maybe semi-spherical dome or something like that). Basically, it is an arc rotated at its geometric center around the z-axis. 

Feb 18, 12 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

A similar type of structure (open-air, open-faced pavilion for public "performances") is the bandshell.

Feb 19, 12 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

Vaulted half-dome.

Feb 19, 12 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
pale shelter

check out Hadrian's Villa ... much sweeter

Feb 21, 12 12:35 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

It's called a grotto.

The one in the picture seems to be constructed through corbelling - basically stacking rocks with a little bit of an an overlap. The earliest domes in the world were built this way. Otherwise Miles nailed this grotto for being a vaulted masonry half-dome. 

Feb 22, 12 4:47 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Actually I'm working on a project which has one of these Grotto's on site.  Very similar in scale and look.  It is on the grounds of a Maronite Catholic Church Site.  The plan is to remove the Church and save the Grotto.   Then build a new Church on the site.

Feb 25, 12 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: