Archinect
anchor

Old bmw's?

re-evolve

Is an old bmw the new hipster accessory?

What's up with all these people buying an old 3 series (circa 1990). I see them everywhere in LA.

They just appear like magic.

May 4, 06 8:17 pm
MayaMonkey

I seen a guy in hollywood today with a white one...man must have been his first time driving a stick shift. Looked alot like an architect........Hope he models better than he drives. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!

May 4, 06 9:37 pm  · 
 · 

a friend of ours recently got a 2002 hatchback. i'd never seen one before. very cool.

May 4, 06 10:17 pm  · 
 · 

Oddly older bmw's have a certain class to them. Many architects/designers he world have found them to be a bridge between prestige and idiosyncrasy. Especially the bmw 2002s from the 70s, the 3 series of the 80s - they have a persona and agelessness of their own that not many other cars of that era do (maybe perhaps saabs and audis)

May 4, 06 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

I don't know, I think these are pretty slick.

What really gets a laugh out of me are these!
They look like a truck with a bad case of the mumps.

May 4, 06 10:34 pm  · 
 · 

Back in the early 1960s Mom used to say if she ever buys her own car it's going to be a BMW (very rare in the US back then). Since Dad already had a Mercedes, I then naturally came to the conclusion that BMWs are ladies cars. Nowadays, I see all over the place that everybody wants to be a lady.

After Mom's triumphal proclamations she'd always say, "It's Bavarian, you know."

Yeah, there's no doubt I've pretty much known a concentrated camp queen since the day I was born.

"Not only can you eat Pears Helene, but soon you can read Pears Helene too."

May 5, 06 11:00 am  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

those late 80s early 90s grilles, with the round headlights, 2 chrome nostrils, and all the black plasticy-looking grillwork are just wonderful to me.

May 5, 06 11:15 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

Interesting observation. Actually, my first car that my Dad bought for me when I was 17 was a two door 1985 BMW 325e. It had a manual transmission and I loved it. It got awesome gas mileage and back then, I could fill it up for 12 bucks usually.

Later, I sold it and bought a '89 525i because I wanted more storage space and room for other people. Anyhow, when I got my first BMW I knew I wanted to be an architect, but I never related it to my desire to be an architect. I remember a lot of my friends thought it was odd that I wanted it. Then, my reasonings for wanting it was because I knew it was built and engineered well, it had a timeless style, and it was in the price range my dad was willing to pay for his son's first car. Since then, I have never driven anything else. I love the 525 I have now, and I hoppefully will never have to give this one up- at least for a long time.
So, possibly, it makes sense that architects/designer are drawn to these cars for very specific reasons as mentioned earlier. Even though in high school I didn't relate my liking older BMW's to the architect in me, I suppose it makes good sense that someone who has strengths in architecture(at least I hope I do) would even be drawn to things built and designed well - so even in high school, those tendencies were already strong within me- at least a recognition of what is good design and what is bad.
Also, I am not going to lie. Regardless who you are or what you do, people notice those who drive older BMW's. it doesn't mean one's rich or wealthy, but I think it begins to tell a story- it makes one wonder why that individual has chosen to drive that car-specifically that year model, and also, why they keep it looking as good and driving as well as it does. Long live the 80s Bemmer, Bimmer, or however people are choosing to spell it.
Also, if anyone has any questions about taking care of older BMW's from the 80s or early 90s email me. I have acquired a vast amount of resources and contacts supplying good parts at great prices. My Dad is a mechanic as a hobby and knows how to do everything on them. We've both done a ton of work to get them running perfectly. So, if you have any questions, just let me know. I think my email is on my profile.

May 5, 06 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

87', 535i, manual ofcourse, 6cyl bulldog. it just keeps me broke and hip. his name is bam. given to me by a good friend. i live 2 miles from mah work. am/fm stereo w/cd player never used, i really have to focus when driving.
(picture taken from my desk)

May 5, 06 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

OA-
you have the california sunset license plate!!!

that's my favorite one. been trying to figure out a way to get it on my car through some kind of transfer but haven't had any success.

May 5, 06 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

When I was 17 my father gave me my first car too, his first 1963 Mercedes, when he bought a second 1972 Mecedes for himself. What an early 1970s high school babe magnet that was. Won't you know it though, my first collision experience was with a Lincoln Continental Mark II in the high school parking lot--pure circus maximus. I still wonder how there was no damage to my car.

And then the 1963 remains became a beloved 1980s fashion statement.

And then in 1999 van Berkel and Bos write, "The architect is going to be the fashion designer of the future." Gosh, it really took them a long time to figure out what I could have told them about the future a long time ago.

Who owns Jeep these days?

May 5, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

i really want myself one of these....the first of the new generation of bmws circa '94

May 5, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

sunset indeed. i want a treat him nice with respect...
changed the metric wheels, just put a salvaged motor, clutch has some cronic problems, loses pressure master or slave cylinder problem. could be a hose or tubing bleeding (?). currently i have to change the ignition set. wheel locks up, 'shorty' from aamco is gonna fix it tomorrow as a moonlight.
my first licence plate in cali was blue with yellow letters. but i agree sunset is the best, representing a certain genre...

May 5, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
bakema

i have a 95 525i.
I'll give it to you for $4,000
b.

May 5, 06 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

Ive actually wanted one of these in puke green for the longest time; strange that it had anything to do with architects/designers.

For now I have my 94 bosten green 318is - its okay; not sure why sameolddoctor would really want it? I would trade for a 94 5 series.

I wouldn't mind one of these either

May 5, 06 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

in 1985 my old man bought one of these:

it was a 1981 and i can still remember using the rear cigarette lighter to burn a swirly mark on my finger because it was such a novelty. i sure did love that car. i remember i could always tell when my dad got home because you could hear the gurgle of the engine in the driveway. he treated that car like the daughter he never had: it was truly daddy's little girl.

then in 1989 he bought one of these:

that mother could haul. too bad the transmission fell out in an NCNB parking lot.

one day...one day i shall own my own BMW. i love the 80s 3- and 5-series, they're classic. they lost their way in the 90s but i think the late 90s and early 00s 3-series are likewise very nice. hate them now, the bangle butt sucks.

May 6, 06 12:05 am  · 
 · 
That's Chicago

How many of you are from California or some other dry warm environment? I love these old B-mers, but in Chicago most of them are rust buckets now! I like the 2000-04 model years as well, but don't like the yuppie feeling associated with them.... Maybe I'll get over that some day...

May 6, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
JerkStoreCalling

I have an '87 325is. I love it, runs great (190K miles), still fast as anything, and it is dark gray with the 'is' package chin spoiler, so it sort of has this Ronin look to it.

It is funny, b/c i found out that one of my prof's who is a partner at a big downtown firm had the same car until last year.

I think they're good cars for people who put a lot of effort into getting something high-quality and then keeping it, which seems to be an architect-y thing to do. It amazes me how reliable my car is after 19 years and 190K miles. It was truly well-made and engineered back in '86. And it looks good. If you buy it new, it'll run forever, and they're relatively cheap to pick up used. It doesn't surprise me that architects are into them.

May 6, 06 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
thedrizzle

ha, modern cars... they all look like electric razors!

May 6, 06 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
re-evolve

so old bmw's are the new Ipod? Everyone has to have one.

May 6, 06 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Does anyone else see the irony of a group of people who are constantly complaining about how poor they are fetishizing over expensive cars?

May 6, 06 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

my ironic fetish don't fail me now...

May 6, 06 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

it was a beautiful day and i bought a couch. i was at home posting on archinect and answering my scores of emailz from the fanz...well, may he rest in peace, a squirrel somehow got himself electricuted and the power went out. so i cleaned my car and took a little spin up to yuppy town and looked at a honda s2000 which is an orgasmic machine and popped in to a used dealer full of preowned luxury rides. saw a beauty of a 330 convertible. but to me nothin is sexier than an infiniti g35 coupe...

that is within reach of regular humanz that is...

May 6, 06 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

tina's fetish in the mean time.
i must tell you is really good fetish. 93' 560 SEL .
this car is super elegante, large, and has got more class than its current nuvo rich models. needs new tires, smog check, and some interior hard wood fix ups, but runs smooth and drinks super octane. we can't replace her. i hate it when they steal the hub caps. trying to fit in parking stalls. if we go to eat burgers we eat in the car...

May 6, 06 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
thedrizzle

hahahaha
cars for grads!!!

go to slide 11, what every recent arch grad wants...

May 6, 06 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

funny!

I'd happily forgoe my Audi RS4 for the "epitome of rugged construction, towing and hauling performance, and interior cabin space."

May 6, 06 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
thedrizzle

construction engineer / architect

same dif right?

May 6, 06 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

dodge ram 2500 as shown is 35k...a 93 corolla is more a new arch grad ride...

May 6, 06 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Yeah, I would pretty much drive any of those other cars over the Ram anyday. After my summer in Japan, those Scions really grew on me. I thought they looked goofy before I went, but since every car over there looks like that, they became so second nature, that I kind of like them now.

My first car was a 1984 Cutlass Ciera. Wosrt car ever.

May 7, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

ah yes, another early-80s GM alum

mine was a 1981 cadillac seville with the angled trunk and the world's first onboard computer...which was broken

the cool thing was, before my dad bought it (after the 633 dropped its transmission) the previous owner had been...mr. kay kimbell, who had put all of 4,000 miles on it in 10 years. my dad's relationship with his favorite used-car dealer was like most people's relationships with their tailors or hairstylists. except that jerry mckinney fine motors of fort worth got a much bigger check

May 7, 06 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
French

Man, I didn't know it was so stereotypical to own a 90's bmw when you were an architect. At least I know it's not in Paris. All my friends make fun of me :(

May 8, 06 8:44 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

BMW ... why not?

May 8, 06 9:08 am  · 
 · 
jsml

sporadic!! nice addition..
are bimmers coming with that new hood ornament these days?
funny. they didn't tell me about those when i got mine.

hope all is well in london

Apr 10, 07 9:19 am  · 
 · 

Yea I hate when a bird drops on my car (bird droppings?) lol

Apr 10, 07 10:22 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

LOL architechnophilia......that's brilliant!

Apr 10, 07 10:34 am  · 
 · 
jsml

certainly.. lets just hope it didn't leave too much of a mark. hah

Apr 10, 07 10:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: