Archinect
anchor

Asking someone with just a few years of experience to lecture at our university?

Larchinect

Someone last week proposed th eidea of having a junior level designer come for our lecture series next month. They have excellent design and graphic skills, but only maybe 3-5  years of experience in the field.

We've proposed that this person speak on their graphic techniques a bit, but we thought it might be a good idea to have the lecturer speak about marketability for new graduates and the state of the profession from the perspective of someone not long out of school.

Is this appropriate?

Typically, we've only had partners in large firms and nationally recognized professionals lecture. Should we consider this new idea in addition to the typical lecturers?

Feb 17, 12 7:03 pm
jpugarte1

I think it is a great idea. However, I'd look for a Design/Architecture entrepeneur rather than on an regularly employed architect/designer (If he/she have been both, even better).

Feb 17, 12 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

This person is an independent consultant for two firms and has started their own, mainly residential practice just in the past 6 months. So, I'd say they qualify as entrepreneurial and capable designer. This is a little different than what we've done in the past, but some of us are getting more excited just to get a 'dose of reality' from someone in the trenches so to speak.

thanks for the feedback.

Feb 17, 12 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

Well, I work in what could be called an innnovative-architecture-entrepeneurship. And I think that the most interesting - and also important - part of being a recently graduated architect, is your ability to integrate work teams, to develop several tasks at a given moment and your social abilities to work with clients/customers. All of this, from the perspective in which a specific architectural firm deals with their design process (from its early conceptual design stages to their representation and constructive development).

So, in my opinion, a useful and interesting subject for a lecture could be how an architectural firm actually works, and what roles does a young architect plays in there. And I think that because, in my experience with Chilean architecture education, young recently graduated architects doesn't have the tiniest clue about how the dynamics in an architectural firm are, and how does a newbie architect fits within them. 

Feb 17, 12 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

A recent grad, young architect type is an excellent idea for a lecturer.  In my ProPrac class we invited architects at different points int heir careers to come speak - the students learned a lot about the future by hearing from grads close to their age who are finding a way to work in this economy!

Feb 17, 12 8:47 pm  · 
 · 

way back during my undergrad studies my school had a lecture event called something like "5 after 5," which featured five recent graduates who had been out in the profession for approximately 5 years... their experiences ranged from someone working at a large firm, to someone with their own design-build firm, to someone who had left architecture and was doing something like marketing... it was really interesting and informative and really opened my young eyes to a range of opportunities that the profession has to offer...

Feb 17, 12 10:28 pm  · 
 · 

I think its really a fantastic idea! While I was studying we only heard from people who had long graduated. I think it would greatly benefit students to hear from people who are recently graduated so that the students can get the best understanding of what their life could be like in just a few years time. It could also give the students better insight of transitioning from academia to the professional more smoothly. I am actually working at creating such lectures and support networks for my undergraduate university.

Feb 18, 12 4:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: