Archinect
anchor

in our time

waxwings

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/inourtime/}inourtime[/url]

the Great Exhibition program is interesting.
i hadn't known the fate of the crystal palace.

anyone listen to this program regularly?
i'm curious if it's popular in the UK?
does bragg sound as snippy to british ears as he does to my american or is my experience just another example of two countries separated by a common language?

Apr 30, 06 4:09 pm
waxwings
inourtime
Apr 30, 06 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

In our time, and its presenter Melvyn Bragg are enormous favourites of mine. It was the first radio programme that BBC R4 made into a podcast exactly becasue of the broad appeal Bragg brings to the popularising of complex subjects, whether historical, scientific, psychological etc.

I have many (most) of the shows that have been podcast, though have listened to it for years.

He also did a show called the Routes of English, which was a joyful romp through the influences on modern english. His latest exploit (apart from the long running South Bank Show, another great) is a slightly lame romp called 12 Books That Changed the World.

His accent retains hints of Cumbria, and is slightly clipped to Oxford and the old Empire, now matured through years of radio and TV.

Another good R4 programme (particularly the latest episode on sustainable cities) is Costing The Earth.

May 1, 06 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: