Archinect
anchor

For an upcoming job interview, should I... ?

g.thomas.z

So I have a question about an upcoming interview.

I'm a recent M.Arch grad living in Denver and I applied for an out-of-state intern position.  They have already contacted my references and want me to come out and interview in the next couple weeks.  The problem is they have not offered to pay for the flight or anything.  Is this something firms will typically pay for?  As a poor college grad, I am just wary of paying for a short-notice round trip flight, only to be rejected.  Is it bad etiquette to ask them to pay for my travel expenses?  Are there 15 other people that they also asked to fly out?

It sounds like a great opportunity, so I have no problem paying for the flight if that's what it come down to.  I'm just wondering if it's worth asking them to pay for some expenses?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Feb 16, 12 2:27 am
citizen

Good question, and not a common one.

Honestly, though, it's hard to imagine that interview travel expenses would be reimbursed for an entry-level position.

Feb 16, 12 11:28 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

I wouldnt ask, it might come across the wrong way.  To be honest, I dont know how you could really expect an architectural firm to fly you out for an interview, it just doesnt seem feasible.

Now perhaps if it was a higher level position, or if its a really large firm, and your 2nd or 3rd interview, maybe.  But for an entry level position, I wouldnt expect it at all. 

I think you are also overestimating how many people they are interviewing who need to fly in.

When i graduated, I knew i would be relocating about 3 hours away from where i was living at school, due to where my wife was living at the time.  It never even crossed my mind that for an entry level position, I would be able to get my trip paid for, and that would have just been a cheap train ticket, not a flight.

I would say that given that they know you are flying in, that is a good sign that its not a long shot of landing the job.  One would hope the firm would be a little respectful of you in that they wouldnt just blindly say come fly out to Denver and be one of 50 people applying for the job.  It seems reasonable that they have narrowed it down a bit.

I would suggest setting up several meetings for that trip, because flying out for one interview and then just turning around to fly home seems like a waste.  Meet with several firms while you are in town to make it worth it

Feb 16, 12 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
alec1313

Also, keep in mind (and receipts) that at the end of the year, i believe you should be able to take that off your taxes as a business expense. Make sure of that one first, though. :)

Feb 16, 12 12:34 pm  · 
 · 

For an intern position? Go for it....ask for lodging, limo and a new suit of clothes too....You've been reading the news, Architects have tons of cash.

Feb 16, 12 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

The fact that they are entertaining the idea of hiring "outside talent" is reason to be thankful for the opportunity. When several firms see an out-of-state address on your resume they put it on the bottom of the pile. 

Here's a handy list of things that are deducible when searching for a job. Unfortunately, this appears to be your first entry-level job so this may not entirely apply to you. I'd still keep receipts and get them out during tax time.  

Deductible Job Search Expenses

The following are allowable job search deductible expenses, summarized from IRS Publication 529:

Employment and Outplacement Agency Fees
You can deduct employment and outplacement agency fees you pay in looking for a new job in your present occupation. However, if, in a later year, your employer pays you back for employment agency fees, you must include the amount you receive in your gross income up to the amount of your tax benefit in the earlier year. Also, If your employer pays the fees directly to the employment agency and you are not responsible for them, you do not include them in your gross income.

Resume
You can deduct amounts you spend for typing, printing, and mailing copies of a resume to prospective employers if you are looking for a new job in your present occupation.

Travel and Transportation Expenses
If you travel to an area and, while there, you look for a new job in your present occupation, you may be able to deduct travel expenses to and from the area. You can deduct the travel expenses if the trip is primarily to look for a new job. Even if you cannot deduct the travel expenses to and from an area, you can deduct the expenses of looking for a new job in your present occupation while in the area.

Phone Calls
Local and long distance phone calls to prospective employers are also deductible.

What You Can't Deduct

You can deduct certain expenses you have in looking for a new job in your present occupation, even if you do not get a new job. You cannot deduct these expenses if:

You are looking for a job in a new occupation
There was a substantial break between the ending of your last job and your looking for a new one
You are looking for a job for the first time

Feb 16, 12 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

"Let's fly in some people to interview for that intern slot."

Yeah, right.

Feb 16, 12 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
mdvandenakker

While searching for my first job I drove 600 miles round trip on about 3 occasions to different firms. I never told them before hand that I had traveled so far, but it generally came up in the interview. Once, the man interviewing me was unaware and then told me to submit my mileage to him once I returned and sent me a check for $.50 on the mile (the IRS rate of reinbursement for company travel using your own auto). That seemed really rare, and I appreciated it greatly.

I did not ask for that consideration, but you may think to ask your potential employer for a phone interview first, explaining you wanted to be prudient with your time and money since traveling to Colorado could be too expensive if the interview is not of a serious nature, offering that if they were still interested in you after the phone interview you would be more than willing to fly out there. That's what I would do.

Feb 16, 12 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
mdvandenakker

Also, good luck man! Let us know how it turns out.

Feb 16, 12 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Larger firms usually reimburse you IF you get hired, but hell no will anybody in their right mind pay for a trip to meet somebody that potentially could work our for them!

But then again, maybe you are worth it!

Feb 16, 12 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

Can you suggest a teleconference?  gotomeeting.com perhaps? explain that you are out-of-state and the expense is great and you would rather do phone or teleconference first and then if that goes well plan a trip to meet them as a final thing.  I would think they would understand.  You could mail them a copy of your portfolio and walk through it over the phone with them.  Seems to make much more sense than flying, getting a hotel, renting a car, etc.

Feb 16, 12 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
cajunarch

Reimburse for an potential intern - nope.  Way too much young local talent unfortunately begging for jobs for ANY firm these days to do that.

Reimburse for expereinced/specialized architects to fly in for a follow up interview (after a telephone interview) - yes, did that three times last year (and hired one). 

Feb 16, 12 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
g.thomas.z

Thanks for all the helpful input!  Looks like I'll be booking the flight, and luckily I was able to find one for about $200.  If anything, it should demonstrate my commitment and enthusiasm toward the job.

I am also concerned about what kind of wage / salary I should ask for.  I interned for a summer prior to graduate school, but my boss was cheap and only paid me $9/hr.  I don't have much experience under my belt, so I am not sure what to expect.  Is it reasonable to ask for a little more since I would be relocating on short-notice?  Is the $17-$20/hr range too much to ask?

Not sure if it makes a difference, but these are my portfolios:

www.issuu.com/zamell/docs/portfolio2

www.gregoryzamell.com

Feb 16, 12 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

No, the fact that you would be relocating on short notice is your problem, not theirs.

Feb 16, 12 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

i was gonna suggest a skype call in lieu of a trip, but for $200.00 perhaps is not so bad an investment.

guitar is cool.  how does it sound?

Feb 16, 12 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
g.thomas.z

Thanks Will.  The guitar is a beast.  I spent a fair amount on the hardware and parts, didn't do the greatest job with the wiring, but it sounds fantastic and was a really fun project.

Feb 16, 12 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
Dani Zoe

Sounds weird that they wouldn't just offer a phone or Skype interview, that was how several firms handled it when i was applying for jobs last year. Are you sure they know you're from out of town?

Feb 17, 12 12:08 am  · 
 · 
timothysadler®

Nice looking Strat!!  Where you flying to?

Feb 17, 12 1:47 am  · 
 · 
dustin.brugmann

"you have to spend money to make money"

-one who understands the rules of the universe

Feb 17, 12 9:57 am  · 
 · 

Good luck. 

its good that you are willing to fly out to do a job interview. While studying in London, I flew out to New York for 5 or 6 interviews and took a train out to Philly for one too. Was offered a few positions but ultimately turned them all down and stayed in London to accept an offer. Overall the flight, train and time was all a waste, but I do not regret that I took that initiative. A few years later I flew from London to the Stuttgart area twice for interviews and eventually took a position. A year later (a few month ago... I get restless) I was traveling all over Germany for interviews before taking up a position in Munich. You cant be afraid to take the leap and commitment to travel for an interview. I think most of the time they will understand your seriousness with your effort. Dont be discouraged if some of your colleagues, or friends discourage you for the expense required for the reward. People have different priorities. If you want this, go all out. If you dont, people like me will, and we will be the ones with the jobs you wish you had.

Feb 17, 12 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
peace77

with that portfolio, you should not be interning. you should have a salary.

it does help to move to the city where you want to live first. couch surf for a month with a friend and land the job....

Feb 17, 12 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Wendell

In late 2008 a firm flew me out for an interview, got me a rental car, and paid for a couple of nights at a hotel.  In the end, I was not offered the job.   

By early 2009 I was couch surfing, and would put local addresses on my resume and then fly out next day when contacted for an interview.  Luckily, I only had to buy two plane tickets before I landed a job.  This was a horribly irresponsible gamble that somehow happened to work out.  

Feb 18, 12 8:08 pm  · 
 · 

Ooh, there's been a lot of good input and things to consider in this topic. It's not a question I had thought of until recently when I flew to Shanghai for an internship. I did end up paying for my flight, but that was after I was guaranteed the spot over a few skype interviews and discussions.

I would think that architecture firms would be a little more with-the-times and conduct many more interviews on skype, if they are really wishing to seek non-local talent. I have had several skype interviews and I must admit, you are not as detracted from the conversation as I first thought I would be.

If I am in a hiring situation, I would interview via skype as a second choice after meeting face-to-face, and would not put the pressure of such expenses on a graduate when there are inexpensive alternatives available.

Feb 20, 12 2:31 am  · 
 · 
g.thomas.z

So here is the update:

After all of this, I won't even be flying to the interview.  Shortly after booking my flight, I interviewed with a firm here in Denver who ended up offering me an intern position.  It sounds like a great fit for me and the perfect place to start me career-- one block from Coors Field!  Unfortunately the hotel I booked for my other interview is non-refundable, and the insurance I purchased for my flight doesn't allow we to get reimbursed. F**k.

My question now is, should I try to negotiate my salary offer?  I have one summer of professional experience.  They sounded very impressed with my portfolio and offered me a salary of $36,200 + benefits ($17.50/hr).  Is this a reasonable offer?

Feb 23, 12 2:40 am  · 
 · 
alec1313

I would say, as long as everything is booked (depending on when the Denver firm wants a response by), go take the other interview just because. It would give you more interview experience, they might give you a counter offer that would tell you more about what other firms would be hiring for as well. If they don't offer it to you, then atleast you'll get out of town for a night...no sense in throwing money away. thats me, personally.

Feb 23, 12 10:43 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

I agree, since you will lose the money if you dont go, might as well go and have a night away.  And who knows, they might offer you more money or it might seem like a better fit

And heck, if they offer you a position while out there, then you can bring up the other offer and might get a nice bump in salary or something

I think it would be a waste to not go

I am on the east coast, so i am unfamiliar with where salary levels are out in Denver

Feb 23, 12 11:26 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Yep, go.

Feb 23, 12 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
g.thomas.z

I honestly have no reason to go.  The other job is outside of Atlanta and its with a smaller firm in a rather undesirable area.  I highly doubt they can match the security and salary of the other offer, and even if they could, it would have to be a much better offer for me to relocate.  The job offer in Denver is with one of the top firms in the city, their portfolio is outstanding, and they seemed very enthusiastic about adding me.

I realize it is in my best interest to go, but the Atlanta interview isn't for another week, and I can't string along this other firm for that long while their offer is on the table.  If they withdrew the offer, I would be running the risk of having nothing.  

Feb 23, 12 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Archrichard

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush! Salary and benefits sound like a reasonable level at which to start  your career. Your book is quite nice.

Feb 23, 12 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

As far as your offer from the Denver firm goes, I'd say it sounds a bit low for someone with an MArch, but not wildly unreasonable. The absolute best way to find out if the salary you've been offered is high or low for your area and level of experience is to talk to people you know working in the profession locally and see what they think.

To clarify, are they offering you a salaried position or an hourly wage? Will you be a full employee (W-2 tax status) or a contract employee (1099 tax status, illegal but widely abused)? If you are paid hourly, you may be able to make more money (and be paid for all the hours you work), but if you are considered an independent contractor you will pay higher 'self-employment' taxes.

You should evaluate how the salary you've been offered breaks down in terms of your own expenses. Take your base salary of $36,200 and subtract 30% for federal and state income tax - your take-home pay will be $25,340/yr, or about $2100 per month. Now add up all your anticipated monthly expenses - rent, utilities, student loans, credit card debt, car/gas/insurance, internet, cell phone, groceries, netflix, dog food, box wine, whatever - and see what's left of your monthly take-home pay. If it's a lot, great! You'll be able to go out to eat sometimes, see movies, maybe even save a little for a house or a pony. If it's not even close to covering your expenses, or it's really tight, you're either going to have to give up some 'optional' expenses or find a way to make more money. You'll also have a hard time preparing for life's inevitable unexpected financial burdens like repairs to a car or taking a sick cat to the vet.

Personally, I think you should always ask for more after a first offer. Employers are expected to negotiate, so the first offer is generally a bit lower than what they're really willing to pay you, and a few rounds of negotiation can raise your base salary (and/or benefits) by thousands of dollars in a matter of hours. Use the expenses you've calculated to come up with a number for yourself that's the lowest you can comfortably accept, but don't feel you need to sell yourself short just because you don't have a lot of experience yet. A common rule of thumb in negotiations is to ask for 20% more than you've been offered - it's enough to make a big difference, but not such a huge jump that they'll be turned off and revoke the offer entirely.

Feb 23, 12 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

If the flight and hotel are non-refundable, i think you should go for just the experience. Sign with the Denver firm. But maybe you learn something about yourself in Atlanta. You never know. But you have an opportunity to find out. 

Feb 24, 12 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
mbcube

Like you, I had a firm schedule a meeting and it was 3 states away. Being unemployed for 5 months made this a double wammy - Yes I was willing to move for the position, but I really could not afford the cost of the initial meeting.

I contacted them and asked how long they estimated they would need me there as I had to schedule a flight. They hadn't realized I was 950 miles away!! They offered a phone interview instead (didn't get it).

I did do a Skype interview & have to say it was the worst - like a bad cell call - Not the best impression of either of you.

Try to see if they have a local office (or somewhat closer) and do a video conference (I've done a lot of those).

Feb 25, 12 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Peter Normand

Get on the face book or whatever you use and find friends in the area to stay with, it is really hit or miss if they will reimburse you for expenses but let them know you are flying in and that you would like a number to call if you are late or delayed by snow or something.  That way if you are late you have a pass in their eyes and you are not flaking out on them, they realize that you value their time and if they are one of the sharper tools in the shed they might think oh this person is spending money to see us, maybe we can compensate their trip.  I had this happen twice, did not get the job but got a decent reimbursement for the travel.  I suggest you print out duplicate ticket receipts, and ask for double copies at he car rental taxi and hotel, keep one set in a folder and be prepared to hand it to the HR person when you are at the interview, the larger firms use the HR folks to screen candidates before spending the valuable time of the architects and managers on interviews.  So the HR rep who is coordinating your interview may have a check for you when you get there.  Just make sure they know you are out of town by asking for a number to call if you are late or need directions since you are coming in from Denver.

Feb 27, 12 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
w. architect

Cancel the appointment!  If you can not afford a cheap ticket there, and a motel...you will not be hired!

You ask for a job from me, and then want me to pay for your trip!...You are not living in my world, as we at the interview desk like to say, "NEXT".

May 28, 12 10:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: