Archinect
anchor

limbo, or the post grad life

konkreet

I recently finished my undergrad this past December earning a B.S in Architectural Studies and little did I know that my degree would mean little in the real world. I hesitated this past application season to apply for graduate school but I am applying this coming Fall. So here I am, about 1.5yrs before beginning graduate school, if accepted, stuck in what I like to call limbo. 

Working in a firm seems almost impossible and accepting a non-paid internship is not quite possible as the grace period for my loans will soon come to a close. I've been applying to drafter positions, design associate positions, and even trying my luck at town planner positions (complete optimism). It has only been two months since I graduated and I've read stories about 6-month, 1yr, and longer individual droughts, but i'm beginning to accept the fact that I will have to take some kind of job that does not have anything to do with architecture much less design. 

My question is: what are similar experiences out there? How have people dealt with living in limbo not just after graduation but between jobs and possible career changes? And what do people suggest for someone to keep sharp who will be applying to graduate school next Fall that will not have any kind of architectural training between now and then?

Feb 14, 12 9:10 pm

I wonder if you know much about the day to day life or architectural practice right now - do you know anyone at all who can get you into a firm for a few days, not to work but to hang out as a sort of a shadower?  I advise you to make absolutely sure that getting a degree in this field is something you want to do, not based on ideas of what architecture is, but on what the reality of practice is for the foreseeable future.  A grad degree is a big investment - do it wisely.

If you're certain, then think about an alternate job for a few years that can be a networking opportunity.  Something in construction, perhaps, or in sales with an architectural supplier, or in marketing for a firm in an architecture-related field.  Surely you have graphic skills that you could put to use in marketing, yes?  If you end up at Home Depot, then make the most of it and LEARN about materials and methods.  If you become a bartender, work somewhere you'll meet local people and be able to hear about their livelihood and connections.

I don't have a lot of optimism to offer, as I think things are going to get worse before they get better, which is another reason I question grad school.  But if you truly want to become a practicing architect, then ANY job can help you learn more about it if you focus and stay open to learning.  Good luck.

Feb 15, 12 9:41 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

I talked to a senior at a liberal arts college yesterday who was graduating into a similar situation. Her background was more related to policy and development than architecture, but her interests were in urban/community planning. I advised her that she really doesn't have enough experience yet to find work in a traditional planning office, but there are many unconventional options out there, particularly within the realm of community development. I think I'd offer you the same advice (however the economy really is starting to open up and there may be more opportunity for you to find intern-type work in an architecture office). In any case, I would widen your employment options well beyond straight architecture. Look at the next couple years as an opportunity to gain experiences that can inform your future work in architecture, but don't necessarily have to be so specifically tied to the practice of architecture.

Truth is the profession is changing. The demand for those that only know and understand the design of buildings is shrinking, while demand for creative problem-solvers with a wide array of real world experiences is growing. Not finding a job as a CAD monkey may be the best thng that could happen to you in the next couple years.

Feb 15, 12 9:55 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

recently finished my undergrad this past December earning a B.S in Architectural Studies and little did I know that my degree would mean little in the real world

Unfortunatly a Masters degree will mean little in the real world too.

Feb 15, 12 11:03 am  · 
 · 
zonker

or an M.arch + 18 months at a major firm + 15 months unemployment = 0 experience

1 step forward 1 step back - I had to start all over again working form free before I got a 1099 job at entry level pay - My only goal is to survive - this isn't 2007 anymore - welcome to the real world of truncated careers.

Feb 15, 12 11:52 am  · 
 · 
Peter Normand

First don’t despair jobs come along at the weirdest times.

Think of what it is you might want to design restaurants, schools, or retail spaces and find jobs in those places.

Do design competitions

Volunteer, work with habitat for humanity, or build stuff. Try building Shelves, chicken coups, or other things that can add to your portfolio and your skill set.

Do set goals and deadlines so that you don’t lose your momentum.

Stay involved with your local design community

Feb 15, 12 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
konkreet

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I've been trying to keep in contact with fellow architecture graduates and interestingly enough most of my fellow colleagues have moved on to different fields including photography, designing products, and construction management. From the one person that I found still working in architecture, I have met with and talked to them for support/guidance.

I have been looking at design competitions and things to design around my house (bookshelves, tables, etc) as ways to build my portfolio. I am also planning to apply to summer arch programs but the cost for a 4-6 week course is keeping me on the edge. There is a Habitat for Humanity in my community but it seems stagnant at this moment It is tough out there but I suppose the best thing to do is to keep on rolling through with optimism.

Feb 17, 12 10:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: