Archinect
anchor

Internship after gradschool?!

batdinger

Hello Archinect,

How common is it for grad school graduates to get internships instead of jobs at offices? I can see two reasons for this...first, we want to test the waters (firm and city). Second, they aren't hiring full-timers-we'll take what they give. I'm only asking because it feels odd to be doing internships when we have professional degrees.

Feb 14, 12 11:19 am
marmkid

i think it all depends on who is hiring and what their needs are

do you have any previous experience?  or is this your first job?

Feb 14, 12 11:22 am  · 
 · 
batdinger

Previous experience check!

Feb 14, 12 11:24 am  · 
 · 
tinydancer

It's sad that our profession sees this as appropriate.  How many MBA's or JD's have to get an internship after they graduate?  One more reason architecture is failing.

Feb 14, 12 11:27 am  · 
 · 
batdinger

word

Feb 14, 12 11:32 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

I think the idea that you would have to take an internship after you graduate though is completely false.  I am not sure what you are really basing that on

you dont have to get an internship after you graduate.  I didnt.  I got a job full time after my 4 year degree, and then got a full time job after getting my masters

But if thats all thats out there, go ahead and take a stand against it based on principle.  This isnt a normal economy, so there just might not be a job waiting for you.  It's not because architecture is failing, its because there is no job available in this economy.

how much previous experience are we talking about, and what kind was it?

Feb 14, 12 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: