Archinect
anchor

DESIGN COMPETITION PROPOSAL

myownpath

In honor of Jane Jacobs, I am proposing a design competition.

Designers are asked to create a wearable insignia to promote the healthier and more humane treatment of architects, interns and students in both professional and academic environments. The goal of the project is to induce a strong, “grassroots” campaign with a critical mass great enough to effect change for the better.

Design parameters:

1). Please limit design ideas to something any given architect/intern/student can afford to purchase or reproduce on their own. For example: the red ribbon worn on a lapel to increase AIDS/HIV awareness.

2). Please include a proposed “mission” statement to which the wearing of the insignia implies a commitment. (Ideally, the design of the insignia would reflect the intention of this proposal.)

Design ideas and comments should be posted to this thread. The winner will be determined on June 21st by the general consensus of Archinect peers as reflected in their posts.

Award? TBD

Apr 27, 06 9:03 am
myownpath

Addendum:

3). Please, no black turtlenecks.

4). Please, no ball and chain.

Apr 27, 06 9:11 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

I like the idea.

I'd suggest a ring made of yellow metal designed in an entwined manner.. like a DNA helix.

The DNA helix pattern could be a symbolism of the
1) Separateness as well as unity of the various facets of the architecture design process. creativity, practicality, dialogue..etc which every designer goes through
Also
2) the shape entwirled signifier of the universal connectivity of all architects ( the common issues of all architects--from creative issues to fees issues )

The colour chosen could be yellow/gold or a shade of earth
---symbolic of the main canvas of architects--the Earth/ land.

Ring cos its the only jewellery /symbol that can be worn and be visually seen on the 'hand' which is the main tool of the architect/artist/craftsman.

P.S myownpath , is this your idea?

Apr 27, 06 9:36 am  · 
 · 
myownpath

nevermore-

Thanks for your (and Urban_Bunker’s) willingness to submit ideas; I especially like the idea of wearing something on the hand.

The proposal was influenced by: things about architecture that bug me; the recent passing of Jane Jacobs (for obvious reasons); and also the responses to the thread “Online Crit Blog” started by mrfochs. Given the frequency of yellow wrist bands and pink and red ribbons, the basis of the proposal is far from unique. (In truth, it is also a personal experiment for reasons that remain my own.)

I appreciate your take on the proposal, as it graciously tempered those things about architecture that bug me:

I am befuddled that some architects/interns/students concern themselves with sustainability when many create immediate environments that tend to be “toxic” in nature. I am alarmed by the number of a/i/s who tolerate inhumane behavior in the discipline as a typical matter of course.

I am concerned that some a/i/s have, in my opinion, limited ideas of “community”, though this is a commonly used word in both professional practice and academia. How many times can some a/i/s refer to “the other” while simultaneously disregarding its intrinsic value and purposefully working toward its exclusion?

Why do some a/i/s give power to power-tripping a/i/s when most would agree power-trips reflect grave insecurity? A/i/s are concerned with structural integrity, right? Why then are we ever more willing to build upon inherently weak members?

If this thread dies out, so be it – that will, in and of itself, indicate that my concerns are not universal and I can spend time doing other things. We can continue with the threads about how much we hate our jobs, IDP is a racket, should I hedge my M.Arch degree with an MBA and JD, etc…………………………………

:-)

Apr 27, 06 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
surface

urban_bunker, does it count if I already have a tattoo of that?

Because I do!!

Apr 27, 06 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

myownpath,

Why do some a/i/s give power to power-tripping a/i/s when most would agree power-trips reflect grave insecurity? A/i/s are concerned with structural integrity, right? Why then are we ever more willing to build upon inherently weak members?
If this thread dies out, so be it – that will, in and of itself, indicate that my concerns are not universal and I can spend time doing other things. We can continue with the threads about how much we hate our jobs, IDP is a racket, should I hedge my M.Arch degree with an MBA and JD, etc

Innumerable are the small and pitiable ones; and of many a proud
structure, rain-drops and weeds have been the ruin.

Indignant becometh the flame when they put their damp hearts to
the fire; the spirit itself bubbleth and smoketh when the rabble
approach the fire.

--Friedrich Nietzsche-Thus Spake Zarathustra

; )

Apr 28, 06 3:09 am  · 
 · 

i'm intrigued by your idea, myownpath, and i'll have to keep thinking about how i would respond more seriously.

but my first instinct is that the armature for this insignia would have to be black framed glasses. not sure whether this would mean circular or horizontal elongated rectangles; the latter seem to be giving the former a run these days as the shape of choice.

second thought is that the examples you're using suggest some level of victim-hood. we'd have to make sure that this was somehow more positive an expression than those offered by the ribbons. (whenever i see those ribbons i think of them as overly sentimental, probably conservative, and damaging to the car's paint finish besides.)

so now that i've got my two initial thoughts out > sounds like an interesting challenge. and a very hard one. you're tackling one of the essential problems of any presentation of who architects are: technician/artist. logical and rational/emotive and intuitive. obviously, as evidenced by a couple of decades of attempts by the aia, architecture as a pursuit is hard to 'brand' with any single identity. this challenge could be equivalent to rem's problem of identifying all of europe under a single logo: and we know how well that went over.

cool idea.

Apr 28, 06 7:25 am  · 
 · 
BLK

Isn't is a little bit to gayish idea this competition.
I mean DO ARCHITECTS NEED TO BECOME SOME KIND OF LABELED CULTURAL GROUP OR SOMETHING,
like the rainbow? ...

Apr 28, 06 8:35 am  · 
 · 
myownpath

thank you for the additional responses.

nevermore, great quote - one that i will keep close...evermore. ;-)

steven ward, valuable input...i look forward to hearing more of your ideas. thank you for bringing to light the level of victim-hood. i, personally, had a very difficult introduction to architecture where i was a victim. this project is partly a personal experiment for me to learn to be proactive (aka "the make lemonade principle"); however, it's good to know when it's going in the direction of counter-productive. i agree a more positive expression would be better.

Apr 28, 06 8:44 am  · 
 · 
myownpath

BLK - Maybe you should go by just B.K., for Buzz.Kill. (Thank you, just the same, for pretty much proving my point.)

Perhaps the competition does have a bit of, as you say, a "gayish" tint to it. Why does that bother you? Does it make you feel uneasy? Vulnerable? Does everything have to be aggressive and macho?

ARCHITECTS DO NOT NEED TO BECOME SOME KIND OF LABELED CULTURAL GROUP OR SOMETHING, at least not anymore than they already are given the nature of formal training; informal indoctrination; professional examination, licensure and registry.

The intention of the competition is to promote a better - healthier, productive, creative - environment for a/i/s in professional practice and academia, or at the very least, a dialogue about them. It is something that I am invested in personally and professionally. I'm sorry if it offends you.

Apr 28, 06 9:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: