Archinect
anchor

Juan O'Gorman who?

Did you ever come accross the architect Juan O'Gorman in any of your architectural history classes? If so, where and when (school and decade)?

Just trying to get an idea about whether he's vaguely known, or completely unheard of....or both, depending on where and when you went to school.

Apr 26, 06 12:49 am
Alan Loomis

He was a fairly famous Mexican modernist, who designed Diego Riveria and Frida Kahlo's joint residence/studio in Mexico City. Very cool (utlizing a hedge-row of catci for a security fence). It was on the itierary of a SCIArc studio trip to Mexico City in the late 90's.

Apr 26, 06 2:12 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

as a footnote in our "history of modern architecture" - not in lectures but in the reading material. (HUT, Finland)

Apr 26, 06 3:57 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

of course. the murals of unam

Apr 26, 06 5:09 am  · 
 · 
db

sure, in grad school at WashU in the early 90s

Apr 26, 06 7:24 am  · 
 · 
ochona

he was neither vaguely known nor unheard of at UT...the moment i saw the movie "frida" i could tell my wife exactly who designed that house.

the professor who taught the history course where we explored late 19th/20th c. architecture (it wasn't the 21st century yet back in 1999) was adamant about turning those footnotes about non-western-european modernists into something more. we learned not only about o'gorman and of course barragan but also gonzales leon, zabludovsky, candela (well, he was spanish but) and not only mexicans...eladio dieste (personal hero), the cuban national art schools of the early 1960s, and mendes da rocha pre-pritzker

not all architecture history courses are just recaps of theory fads since archigram

Apr 26, 06 11:52 am  · 
 · 
Medit

eladio dieste's brick hyperboloids and paraboloids are amazing.. a kind of austere, uruguayan Gaudí

Apr 26, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Camelia

Yep, I love Eladio's work and philosophies. I worry about its preservation....when I was in Uruguay in the 90's some of it looked a little rough around the edges.

Apr 26, 06 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: