Archinect
anchor

Graduate School: MArch 1 vs. MArch 2

I think it is important for applicants to know the differences between the various programs at each school (MArch 1 vs MArch 2). Sorry if this is redundant, but I think which PROGRAM you choose is equally important and varied as which SCHOOL you choose. (alumni from GSD did 3 years w/BS Arch while another alumni from Penn did 2 years with no Arch degree). Did they get the same caliber ARCHITECTURE education? Is there a significant difference at your school? Is there more overlap at some schools than others? How does the overlap, or lack thereof reflect on the quality of work? I will exclude post-pro degrees bc they generally do their own thing.

To avoid another "my school is better than your school debate", one rule: you may only comment on the schools that you are attending or have attended. Some leniency will be given to those who visited a school and talked to the students.

Case study #1, Sci-Arc MArch 2. was given a tour and March 2 student brought up the significant difference between the two. This was supported by my assessment of the final reviews. MArch 1, 2nd year stuff...blah. March 2, 1st year stuff...wow. March 2 is rigidly geared towards advanced digital design, which I think is good for someone who went through a rigorous 4 years of hand-drawing and making. Maya in the hands of someone new to architecture ...perhaps just glorified graphic design? In this case, M Arch 1 is completely different than M Arch 2 and they don't overlap until the final year.

Non-architecture majors: fresh perspectives or amateurs? I know there are exceptional students in both cases, but let's discuss overall.

Apr 25, 06 10:50 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: