Archinect
anchor

San Francisco Architecture

ming87

I'm an RA living and working in New York and considering a move to the west coast, part of it is work related the other is kids. Anyone have some feedback on the architecture scene in this area, good firms, who to avoid...etc....

Thanks for any help.

Apr 25, 06 9:44 pm
squaresquared

I've worked at a number of firms in San Francisco, both big and small. EHDD is big and corporate. I'm not sure what their current projects are like, but they do high quality, if somewhat boring work. John Randolph and Chris Deam are independent Architects/Furniture Designers, and their respective work is representative of the independent side of the city's architecture practice. I also really respect Fernau & Hartman, but I'm not familiar with the office dynamic, so I can't comment on that. Best of luck!

Apr 25, 06 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
harame83

here are some firms I like in the bay area,

Kuth + Ranieri, Fougeron Architecture, Bohlin Cywinski Jackon, Mark Cavagnero, Envelope A+D (they're in Oakland), Stanley Saitowitz, Ogrydziak/Prillinger

I had a chance to get to know most of them as studio critic, reviews, and lecture series during my undergraduate years at berkeley and they do good, interesting architecture. Saitowitz likes to hire his students so I dont' know if you would have a chance there. Anne Fougeron's one scary critic. I am SO thankful that she never reviewed my project. Nevertheless, she's a brilliant person/architect and I like her work a lot.

and of course, if you're going for corporates, they're all in the city. Gensler only works till noon on Fridays and start drinking wine/beer.(that's what I hear) and I also heard HOK's a scary place to work but I liked my visit to the office. NBBJ gets every other friday off. SOM, you get work 60+ hrs/wk yay. but nice view of downtown from its 24th floor office

new de young museum, academy of science at golden gate park and the federal building in downtown might be another reason to be in SF but it's just a beautiful city. good luck.

Apr 26, 06 12:48 am  · 
 · 
harame83

here are some firms I like in the bay area,

Kuth + Ranieri, Fougeron Architecture, Bohlin Cywinski Jackon, Mark Cavagnero, Envelope A+D (they're in Oakland), Stanley Saitowitz, Ogrydziak/Prillinger

I had a chance to get to know most of them as studio critic, reviews, and lecture series during my undergraduate years at berkeley and they do good, interesting architecture. Saitowitz likes to hire his students so I dont' know if you would have a chance there. Anne Fougeron's one scary critic. I am SO thankful that she never reviewed my project. Nevertheless, she's a brilliant person/architect and I like her work a lot.

and of course, if you're going for corporates, they're all in the city. Gensler only works till noon on Fridays and start drinking wine/beer.(that's what I hear) and I also heard HOK's a scary place to work but I liked my visit to the office. NBBJ gets every other friday off. SOM, you get work 60+ hrs/wk yay. but nice view of downtown from its 24th floor office

new de young museum, academy of science at golden gate park and the federal building in downtown might be another reason to be in SF but it's just a beautiful city. good luck.

Apr 26, 06 1:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: