Archinect
anchor

IDP Supplementary Education-anyone?

tinydancer

Has anyone completed IDP hours through the Supplementary Education-for core and elective hours?  I am specifically looking at the EPC activities and volunteering activities. 

I have less than 600 hours to complete IDP and all hours are in category areas A&B.  But I may be taking a job with a company that does consulting-Owner's Rep, and they don't have a licensed architect on board...so trying to find a way to get the rest of my hours in Category's A and B when not working under a licensed architect. Have tried to get a job with an architecture firm-but not having any luck thus far...and need to get back to work!

Any advice is appreciated!  Thanks!

Feb 13, 12 12:34 pm
Wilma Buttfit

I did the activities back when it was the Supplementary Eduation Handbook. It is now called the Emerging Professionals Companion. It got credit for them, but I had to have it signed off by my supervisor along with regular IDP. I can't recall how it as recorded in IDP, whether it was Cat A or Cat B, etc. It can be time consuming, but a good way to get some of the hours out of the way and learn about many things that you can't get exposure to in other ways, like litigation.

Feb 13, 12 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

Thank you-yes it is called EPC now.  I don't have many hours left and want to try to fulfill everything outside of an architecture firm.  I have a mentor that will approve my hours for me...just need to confirm I can get the remaining hours this way.  Calling NCARB tomorrow.

Feb 13, 12 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Peter Normand

I am doing this right now, the CSI exams for CDT and other CSI certifications can chip away 40 hours in the general elective and Specifications categories.  I also am working for a non for profit group designing a community garden and activities center, it is under the supervision of a licensed architect and we all have to get at least 15 hours in each week but that is another route.  Our local AIA sponsors a lunch and learn with product reps. Basically any AIA continuing education credits can be used on IDP just have your mentor sign off, and you are limited to 40 hours in each core category. 

It is very frustrating to think that you are 15-16 weeks at full time employment away from finishing your internship I am in the same boat.

I suggest making a plan or a schedule with deadlines to try and finish 30 – 40 hours each month but this can be intense and feel like you have a second job.

Good luck.

Feb 13, 12 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
MixmasterFestus

This sounds like an incredibly frustrating way to finish IDP.  You'd have to treat it as a second job, and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing a substantial number of IDP hours in this way.  I've been attempting to work this way with my adviser, but there are limits to the number of hours you can sign off on this way (mostly in regards to category minimums).

I've been at the 'four hundred hours left' mark for a few years now as I've gone off and done other things, and figure I will have to work under an architect for at least a little while longer at some point in my career.  Whether that winds up being part-time work or full-time work will depend on the situation.

Feb 14, 12 3:46 am  · 
 · 
tinydancer

Thanks for the advice PJN26.  And yes, to all, it is frustrating to have to finish this way when I am SO close.  I do know a non-profit architect here in town so think I will definitely be contacting him to get some hours completed-I have worked with him before so it should work out.  At this point, after the interviews I have gone on with firms, I am SO over architecture firms-that could be a whole other discussion.  So looking for an alternate way to complete my license and say good bye to architecture firms forever!  Just want my license-I have worked so hard for so long-I want that final goal reached!

Thanks!!

Feb 14, 12 11:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: