Archinect
anchor

re-applying to graduate schools

celina77

I was accepted to 0-5 schools I applied to this year. I don't have a design background or know much about architecture and was wondering if it is common for people to re-apply and get accepted.

Apr 25, 06 6:32 pm
MArch n' unemployed

i went 0-4, then 0-4 again, this year i went 3-3. persistence.

Apr 25, 06 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

now ask MArch what he got into, and proceed to drool.

Apr 25, 06 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

i don't know about drool...im no q+ ;)

Apr 25, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

...but thank you nonetheless.

what's your status addictionbomb...i know we've chatted, but i can't keep anything in my brain these days

Apr 25, 06 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
celina77

ok i feel better now. what do you think you did to make your application stronger? did you re-apply and get accepted to the schools you applied to previously?

Apr 25, 06 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

i did some additional work, meaning different projects, but really it was more about presentation. be clear and let the work speak for itself. i think i tried to graphic-ize it too much before. simple, clear, clean.
got into UCLA, berkeley and wash u. i had previously applied to UCLA and berkeley.

good luck.

Apr 25, 06 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

celina77. do some competitions. http://www.thearchitectureroom.com/

Apr 25, 06 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

You might also want to consider summer architecture studios. Harvard and Columbia both offer great programs, and they're a great way to beef up your portfolio and cv.

Apr 25, 06 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
tenex

The first time around, I was 2/4, second time 4/5 (but I can't really say that I'm suprised about the rejection my second go-round since I made a major boo-boo in my application, lol)...and I applied to tougher/better schools the second time. I know that my work experience helped my application....I do not work for an architect, but in a field very closely related to architecture (lighting design). I was able to use this experience in my essay to say how I want to expand upon my lighting knowledge by studing architecture and lighting together (as opposed to going to a design school and getting just a lighting degree) I think its all about finding some way to make yourself stand out. I don't think I'll continue with in depth lighting studies since there are other areas which interest me more, but it did make for a good essay. I do not have an arch background other than 2 summer studios (otherwise my portfolio was so-so)

Apr 26, 06 2:52 am  · 
 · 
brujitadulce

i agree that a summer program might help, if you have the time and money to go. SCI-Arc has one, as does UTexas - Austin. i did the UT one and found it immensely helpful in figuring out how to apply to school and getting portfolio advice. i also have NO arch background and i ended up getting in to 5 schools, waitlisted at another and rejected from 3. and i got into schools that i didn't expect to get in to.

good luck!

Apr 26, 06 10:39 am  · 
 · 
vman

I went 0/9 last year and 2/5 this year (still waiting on a waitlist too).

I did not know what they were looking for last year and I spent a lot of time figuring this out after my pile of rejects. I attended ucla's jumpstart last summer which was a huge help. Try to look at some portfolios, if possible, to get a feel for what they are looking for. This is the most important component of your application. I re-applied to 5 of the 9 this year so don't think you should not apply to any that rejected you. If you didn't this year, spend a good amount of time researching/visiting the schools you want to apply to and demonstrate in your statement why the school is a good fit for you.
good luck!

Apr 26, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
celina77

wow thanks for all the stories and advice. i will look into a summer design studio. thank you so much.

Apr 26, 06 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
sinister_cubism

I highly recommend career discovery at the GSD. You get to beef up your portfolio, make some cool friends, and experience architecture (just to make sure this is what you want to do). If you stand out (in a good way), it won't go unnoticed.

Keep your portfolio simple, clean, and honest. Good Luck!

Apr 26, 06 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
Jazz

Also highly recommend GSD's summer program (even despite the lame-o program title "career discovery"). I had a non-arch background & while the program wasn't cheap, I got alot of material for my portfolio & got to check out GSD student portfolios as well as pick brains of GSD students teaching in the program. Was lucky to get an excellent teacher who wrote some of my recommendations. I went 7-8. I heard that people out of career discovery tend to get into GSD & people out of the Columbia summer program get into Columbia. Good luck!

Apr 27, 06 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: