Archinect
anchor

Jane Jacobs has died at 89

Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
from the Toronto Stat

Apr 25, 06 1:07 pm
Cameron

posted on the news. Are there any great design writers left?

Apr 25, 06 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Thank you Jane. I always hated master planned communities and suburbs. You helped me see why.

Apr 25, 06 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

oh shit...i was going to marry her

Apr 25, 06 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

she fought the good fight

Apr 25, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Requiem in Pace, Jane.

Apr 25, 06 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

She wrote MY Bible.................RIP

Apr 25, 06 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

She must have been at my rezoning hearing last night and died after the council started to try and cut back on the mixed-use commercial in the neighborhood.

Apr 25, 06 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
TED

did anyone read 'dark age ahead"??????

Apr 25, 06 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

she did indeed fight the good fight, death and life... completely changed the way i saw cities, and enhanced my love of them... this is a great quote

“Eschewing jargon and received wisdom, she possessed an extraordinary clarity of mind that enabled her to reveal truths so obvious they were in visible to the rest of the world.”

Apr 25, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
some person

A quote from my husband who recently read Death and Life for his Political Economy of Cities course: "Eyes on the street... WE GET IT."

Anyways... when I started college, my mother gave me her original paperback copy of Death and Life, which she read in graduate school in the 60's.

I didn't know until recently that she also published books on economics - a little known fact among architects, I suppose.

Apr 25, 06 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

She was a force to be reckoned with, and she will be missed.....I need to reread that book. I think I'll appreciate it a lot more now.

Apr 25, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Jacobs vs. Moses? Jacobs won in a landslide! A true savior of New York City.

Apr 25, 06 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
brookmeier

I just picked up Dark Age Ahead at the library this morning. Returned home to the sad news. I was actually just thinking, before I saw the news, that I should buy Death and Life for every City Planner in India... the mistakes they're making would make Jane cry.

Apr 25, 06 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'd recommend reading all of her books. i only need to read the "nature of economies" and then i'll have completed the set.

Apr 26, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

Outgrowing Jane Jacobs and Her New York

in the NYTimes

May 2, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
asauer

The Walking City, brilliant! Thanks jane

May 2, 06 10:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: