Archinect
anchor

University of Cincinnati Lecture: Bernard Tschumi + Mark Wigley

bathysphere

This Friday (April 28th) there will be a lecture/discussion with Bernard Tschumi and Mark Wigley beginning at 2pm. Mr. Tschumi will present seven projects followed by a discussion on contemporary architecture. It will be in the main lecture hall at DAAP. All are welcome and admission is free.

Apr 25, 06 11:37 am
vado retro

bring your own pillow!

Apr 25, 06 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
switters

and your Ipod-Squiggly Wigley will be the first to tell you that architecture is more about listening than talking, so I sure he won't mind. But he is always entertaining. As for Tschumi!-bless you-well you have seen his concrete turd over by the Shoe, so get ready for a yawnfest/egofest here folks. good luck. All are welcome, except for the working set-what's with the 2pm start time, do they have a flight to catch or something? That is probably all you need to know about contemporary architecture from these guys.

Apr 25, 06 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

im sure Jerry Larson will tell the student body what the SAID ranking is

Apr 25, 06 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
bathysphere

Admittedly, the 2pm start time is by no means ideal for professionals – but who hasn’t ever taken a Friday afternoon off? I have been trying to get cooperation through the professional organizations over the past couple weeks in the city to get word out ahead of time, but just found out today that they have been too busy to post anything due to career fairs and power brunches. Regrettably, this is what prompted the post. I say regrettably not because of the focus of any professional organization, but due to the fantastic feedback received by the humble responses so far. The lecture has nothing to do with Jerry, or rankings, but is a non-exclusive attempt led by students to improve the culture of the school. I will be the first to admit that SAID is far from perfect or belongs atop any list.

Apr 25, 06 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
bathysphere

Admittedly, the 2pm start time is by no means ideal for professionals – but who hasn’t ever taken a Friday afternoon off? I have been trying to get cooperation through the professional organizations over the past couple weeks in the city to get word out ahead of time, but just found out today that they have been too busy to post anything due to career fairs and power brunches. Regrettably, this is what prompted the post. I say regrettably not because of the focus of any professional organization, but due to the fantastic feedback received by the humble responses so far. The lecture has nothing to do with Jerry, or rankings, but is a non-exclusive attempt led by students to improve the culture of the school. I will be the first to admit that SAID is far from perfect or belongs atop any list.

Apr 25, 06 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
word!

b.y.o.b.

Apr 25, 06 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
bathysphere

sorry for the double post - thought my wi-fi connection went down

Apr 25, 06 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. I picked a great week to take a Friday off!!

bathysphere, are you in APX or something?

Apr 25, 06 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
bathysphere

No, this is put on by the graduating M-Arch class. Hopefully it will be a thing that the class puts on every year like the blast, bridge break, bowling, softball and hopefully graduation.

Apr 25, 06 9:53 pm  · 
 · 

work really does get in the way sometimes. drive from louisville to cincinnati after lunch on a friday? maybe next year.

Apr 25, 06 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow, good for you guys. Are you still calling yourselves a "student organization" so you can get University money? That was a great idea by the way. Or is this what you guys are doing with the money that you didn't spend on Disneyworld?!? Sorry. You should go anyway.

Apr 25, 06 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

friday lectures no friday beer yes...

Apr 25, 06 10:07 pm  · 
 · 

yes friday beer. actually, tuesday beer. and wednesday beer too.

[robin ella, martin sexton, duncan sheik free in louisville on the waterfront (hargreaves' park) tomorrow, ya'll.]

Apr 25, 06 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven can we have a meeting in Lousiville to discuss our class this weekend? My mother in law is coming to town.

Apr 25, 06 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
bathysphere

The "student organization" still exists, and yes, some of the funding is coming from it.

Apr 25, 06 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i wanna go to louis ville

Apr 26, 06 7:02 am  · 
 · 

we could indeed, if you want to come in...in addition to course planning, i think that this weekend is the derby parade, the marathon, and the balloon race (balloon glow night before). not sure who is playing around town this weekend, but you'd probably have to be on the road back anyway.

my only conflicts are that we're looking at houses saturday morning. and i've got some drywall work to do. too bad the tschumi lecture's not on saturday; i'd like to get out of that drywall work...

Apr 26, 06 7:11 am  · 
 · 
switters

wow, what else are you doing this weekend? please, please, please, please continue your conversation for us. your life seems fascinating-GWB work, house hunting in the midwest and all. gosh....

Apr 26, 06 7:23 am  · 
 · 

riveting, switters. i suppose you're still a 24 hr party person?

so i'm old.

Apr 26, 06 7:29 am  · 
 · 

since i sensed some snarkiness re: the midwest in switters swipe, i'll suggest an old thread: here, in which i big up louisville, natch.

i know this is a hijack, but i think this thread'll be treading water until we hear back from those lucky enough to hear misters tschumi and wigley on friday anyway.

Apr 26, 06 8:11 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Speaking of 24 hour partying, the only reason I can't zip off on Friday to see a lecture in nearby Cincy is I have to be back in Naptown at 6 for the opening of the Show House project I donated a significant amount of time and money to in the hopes that it will provide marketing and possible future work for my firm. I'll be drinking and chatting with the upper echelons of Indy society, while simultaneously trying to keep them from knocking over the lamps and spilling drinks on the Starck sofa.

Such oppositions we deal with: "intellectual stimulation, or a paycheck?!?"

Apr 26, 06 8:45 am  · 
 · 

just realized that i'm totally misrepresenting the weekend anyway. my office is hosting its derby party back in our warehouse on sat. (our office is lovingly known as the mullet: business in the front, party in the back.) local band lost cat reward will be playing, movies/video will be running on the big screen, spider bikes will be ridden, frisbees thrown, and beer consumed.

lost cat reward used to be known for their medley of 'out of the blue' and a certain rolling stones song. they called it 'sympathy for debbie'. but their female singer quit. they still do a mean version of goldfinger and kung fu fighting. their originals include a great song called 'bad art brad'. brad was real and he really did collect bad art.

Apr 26, 06 9:17 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yeah, Steven, anyway, I really owe a large enough psychic debt to my mother in law that I can't justify running down to Louisville to get away from her, though the mullet party sounds like a blast.

I also now, thanks to switters, realize that I have broken all 3 of my new years resolutions: I'm still 5 pounds overweight, I'm still not keeping close enough track of my billable hours, and I'm still highjacking threads constantly to talk about the boring details of my own life.

Please, anyone in Cincy who actually does attend the lecture, report back here so that this thread isn't a complete loss. It really does sound like an interesting event, and I really would go if I could. Thank you.

Apr 26, 06 11:14 am  · 
 · 

"lost cat reward" sounds like a great crazy band.

Apr 26, 06 11:34 am  · 
 · 

liberty - i, on the other hand, have thought that the coasts need to hear more about the goings-on in the midwest. maybe we need a running feature on archinect, like in the book 'the quality of life report'.

Apr 26, 06 11:58 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm just bumping this to see if we can irritate switters some more. :oP

Also, "lost cat reward" is one of the best names for a band I've heard in a while....sympathy for debbie was good but that is definitely better.

I'm going to try to go to the lecture. I've got a political meet and greet to attend after that but I'll report back when I can....

Apr 27, 06 12:39 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

is Wigley the same guy who lectured with Phillip Johnson in the 80s on the validity of Postmodern architecture?

Apr 27, 06 12:44 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ok, so I attended the first half of the lecture this afternoon, only because I had to run off to meet a local political candidate after Tschumi was finished. So I missed Wigley. But Tschumi had some interesting things to say, from what I could tell.....problem was that between his accent and his soft-spoken voice, I could only make out about 75% of what he was saying.

He talked about Parc de la Villette (one of my all-time favorite projects) and a few competitions he entered, including one on an elliptical island in Dubai, which was interesting. He concluded with a discussion on his new building for UC, which I affectionately refer to as "the kidney bean", and he joked that the entire facade was like one big truss, which was great because he didn't have to design it. The one thing he mentioned which I found really clever was the debate between "conceptualizing context vs. contextualizing concept" in his projects, and which one was he doing with a particular design, etc. All part of his discussion of the city fabric.

All in all, I would say it was pretty good but doesn't hold a candle to the best architecture lecture I ever saw, given by none other than Thom Mayne. I saw a really inspiring talk given by a Canadian green developer about a year ago that blew my mind, but we'll save that for another thread.

Apr 28, 06 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

102 fever vs. architectural lecture...possible thread topic

Apr 29, 06 9:39 am  · 
 · 
whitllam

Darn, I was just hoping that getting Tschumi and Wigley in the same room would lead to a nasty fist-fight...

Apr 29, 06 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: