Archinect
anchor

Online Crit Blog - good or bad idea?

mrfochs

I am currently working on an idea to develop a blog like website where people (both students and professionals) can post their sketches, renderings, diagrams, etc. and have them juried by their our peers. What are you thoughts on this concept? The goal would be to make the site free and open to anyone that registers (much like any other blog). The projects would be posted for a time period chosen by the designer (anywhere from 24 hours to a week is my initial thought), and then removed from the site to save on server space as well as prevent projects being sampled over and over again by others looking for a “quick precedent.” Also, the postings would be regulated to prevent people from being to overly mean spirited or obnoxious since no one needs more of what they already get in school or work. Instead the site would be a way to get critical and productive responses to design ideas from a larger audience than the person sitting at the next drafting table (or computer station) to your right. Thoughts, ideas, concerns?

Apr 25, 06 11:21 am
Auguste Perret

I like the idea, but how (or why) are you going to regulate negative postings? I don't remember crits in school being regulated as a professor torn up a final model and rearranged it so 'it looked better.'

As an alternative, what if there was an archinect studio? The idea being that there was a project - maybe for the summer - and who ever wanted to participate could do the project and there would be weekly crits, say every Friday, where we would post our designs and progress online and everyone could comment during the week-end, until the projects were complete?

Probably not a good idea, please disregard.

Apr 25, 06 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I kind of like the idea of archinect inspired charrettes or something. Like short little projects that people come up with, get site infor etc and post it online then people who are interested could do the project over a weekend or something (summer obviously) and post it online. That might be cool.

Apr 25, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
mrfochs

The idea was not to remove negative feedback, but rather police the site for comments by people that were uncalled for or exceptionally rude. Just because a professor ripped apart your model in school doesn't mean you leanned anythign from his/her power trip. I was and still am a part of the movement for a better studio culture started in 2002 with the publication of "The Redesign of Studio Culture," which actually was a responce to the debate of architecture studios and crits with help from the report by Ernest Boyer and Lee Mitgang, "Building Community: A New Future for Architecture Eductaion and Practice."

Apr 25, 06 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Listen why would we need to remove feedback , there are no real anyway.

When I challance architects with somthing that make the computer work out of dead-end , they complain it have no scale ; see the critic xpose itself tell how little critics know about computers, how little computers in fact are used, and in what narrow sceme . When I tell how restricting an account are for innovation , they come forwerds and tell how little thay know , --- and what would a removal of critic voices mean in terms of academic overflow, -------- Please suddenly it would be advisable to take the intire vision thru a process of academic politness ; that would Never fit in here !!!

Apr 25, 06 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
S

If I were working on a project and had the opportunity to ask for input from archinectors, I would engage. I probably wouldn't work on an archinect sponsored charette. I have no idea why.

Here is a link to ncarb regarding "Building Community"; I especially like #6........................

Issue 6: The teaching environment must be more humane, fair and conducive to learning.
The task force recommends that:
a. the architecture studio professor should become a learner along with the students.
b. schools publish a written policy and implementation strategy regarding the proper, respectful and civil treatment of students.

Apr 25, 06 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

I can't imagine that many people would take their time to be overly negative on an architecture-based website, BUT I think moderation would definitely be necessary. The difference between a studio and an online studio is that in an online studio critics can be anonymous. And we all know how anonymity can be abused.

...you big bunch of losers. Hah! Just try and find me.

Apr 25, 06 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
S

ANONYMITY F$%KING ROCKS!!

Apr 25, 06 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

I think you're losing something by having things taken down. Part of the beauty of blogs is that after a while you can look back and see the whole progression of things in a way you couldn't while you were living them. It would be nice to see a person's progression, and tendencies, revealed by the timeline of their work. While I understand the need to keep things in a maintainable size, I hope you'll consider this point and lengthen the stay of projects beyond a week.

Apr 25, 06 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I think you should have "Quick Crit" buttons for those of us who don't have time to post thoughtful responses. For instance:

-Turn this building 90 degrees counter-clockwise.
-Take off east wing of model, throw to side flippantly.
-Discuss own built work for 15 minutes.
-Use the phrase "rape tunnel".

Apr 25, 06 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

I really like the idea, but I don't know if it will fly. Professionals are often very busy with several projects at any given moment and they have enough 'crits' with clients, engineers, etc. Also, depending on the project, they may not want to show the general public a project still on the boards for fear it may be 'stolen' - especially for competitions. And many professionals actually invite friends over for an informal crit before they show it to the client.
Students never seem to have time to complete projects for studio and the last thing they seem to want is another crit of their project.

Nevertheless, having an outlet to share design ideas - at any level - and open new potential paths of discourse is something I am in agreement with and I wish your blog much success.

Apr 26, 06 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

^^^ this doesn't have to be for professionals or busy students who are still in school. I'm sure many students are on holidays and its a great way to hone our design skills.

Apr 26, 06 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

who has time to do "other designs" on the side when school is in session?

Apr 27, 06 12:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: