Archinect
anchor

Money Art Project

dkoppich

I am a design student at UCLA and I need your help:

I am designing a new form of currency called "Facing" money. The name comes from the word "deface" minus the prefix. Facing money seeks to add layers of meaning to currency. Scratching, marking, or otherwise defacing currency to the point that it becomes unrecognizable is technically illegal. All writing on notes limits their life.

The goal of this project is to create a system whereby money is altered to its legal limits (or even beyond) and turned into a cult item. It is hoped that through this intervention, its value will be increased both in terms of emotional and economic worth.

Now here is where you come in:
Facing money will ask artists, designers, construction workers, nurses, and others to devise methods to “face” money. Take a dollar bill (or euro, yen, pounds) of any denomination, and mark, scan, pixelate, crease, fold, cut, burn, stamp, bleach, draw, and/or lick the bill. You could even write a poem on it. Use your unique talents, skills, and tools to make it visually interesting and distinct. Your process can be simple, or it can be extremely complex. When you're done, make clear (or unclear), step-by-step instructions for others to duplicate this process.

Send me back your text or visual instructions and I will trade you your "faced" bill for a normal one of equal value. We can do this through mail or paypal. All entries must be received by May 12.

Thanks,
Daniel
www.danielkoppich.com

Apr 24, 06 7:13 pm
mdler

there was a website at on epoint where you could put in the serial number on a dollar bill and it would tell you where the bill had been

I am also doing an art project involving money. Send me a dollar bill and I will call it art

Apr 24, 06 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: