Archinect
anchor

Zankou vs In-n-Out

mdler

the great debate

Apr 24, 06 4:32 pm
xtbl

as great as zankou's garlicky white sauce is on that delicious roasted bird, i just don't see myself craving it @ 2 am the way that i crave a double double animal style with animal style fries and a chocolate shake!!!

Apr 24, 06 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

agree w/ cris...

i don't get the cravings for that garlicky chicken as much as i do for a double double. and a double double can be had throughout the southern half of california so it's more accessible.

but i don't feel so bad after downing a whole chicken as i do when i finish a 3x3, fries, and a shake... ooog.

Apr 24, 06 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i wonder what a double-double Zankou style would taste like???

Apr 24, 06 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

not sure why, but i never developed a thing for in-n-out's food. maybe it's because the few times i ate at one, it was the westwood location by kanner....

what if it were Zankou vs. Versailles?

now i remember hearing something about the zankou family when it happened.

Apr 24, 06 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

never had Versailles...

Apr 24, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i'll take zankou over versailles.

Apr 24, 06 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

what's zankou?

i'll admit a predilection for in-n-out's double-double animal style with the "aw yeah" animal style fries.

can't do the shake too though. Call me a wuss. but i stick to the fountain sodas when dining at in&o.

Apr 24, 06 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
caste

Zankou everytime, between that sauce and the schwarma,....hands down

Apr 24, 06 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

Zankou vs. Mike Ditka?

Apr 24, 06 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

yeah, no shakes...not thirst quenching...i get the pink lemonade when at in-n-out...to clear the palette (sp?)

Apr 24, 06 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i get an Arnold Palmer

Apr 24, 06 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

what's zankou???

two words...

rotating meat

Apr 24, 06 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
zero1

That's tough as they are very different. I think I actually crave zankou more than in-n-out, but the the decor inside makes me feel like a homeless person cashing in my daily earnings. What really makes a zanjou is if you have enough pita bread to go with it.

Apr 24, 06 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

hmm ... zankou's garlic sauce a little uneasy on the stomach,
versailles' lomo asado a bit too salty

GIVE ME FATBURGER!!!!

Apr 24, 06 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Also, I think the Zankou in Glendale is much better than the one in Hollywood.

Apr 24, 06 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i do have to give a shout out for the brown salsa at Baja Fresh

Apr 24, 06 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Applepan rules!

Kobe beef, with truffled gorgonzola (yummmm) - ok not at applepan

Anybody know when the Jay Burger shack will re-open?

Apr 24, 06 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
zero1

rubio's or senor fish?

Apr 24, 06 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

applepan? overrated. if we're talking fast-food burgers. in-n-out is the best widely avail. burger. the best is actually the habit, which is only in the valley and santa barabara.

if it's any burger, father's office hands down. life changing burger.

Apr 25, 06 12:06 am  · 
 · 
skeerd

rubio's is shite, applepan does rule, zankou is awesome, garlic chicken and rice at versailles is grand, in n out is an icon, pastrami at the hat or johnnie's is killer... shall we start on sushi?

Apr 25, 06 12:09 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

In-N-Out every time. I always go for the coke spritzer, squeeze a little lemon in there to wash down the 50,000 calorie meal. If I'm hungry I'll get a grilled cheese as a warm up.

Never really got into Zankou. First time I had it a project manager was berating me for never having eaten there, he told me I was a spoiled rich kid cause I had never heard of the place. I guess that's why I didn't last long there, since I wasn't a poor little rich kid I couldn't afford to work for $10/hr. Maybe that's why it always leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Apr 25, 06 12:46 am  · 
 · 
manamana

I've never had any of the food you guys are talking about, but you just made me hungry

Apr 25, 06 12:58 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

ants,
The Habit is great, but now there is one on the westside too, and one in glendale too....great stuff

Apr 25, 06 3:24 am  · 
 · 

zankou is great first 3-4 bites and after that it gets bland...
in n out is good all the way.

i think versailles is a winner when it comes to chicken and atmosphere and variety. but sometimes they have got tired chicken served. no good. rice, fried plantains and black beans are timeless. ofcourse the one on venice blvd is the versailles i am talking about...

Apr 25, 06 3:25 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

sameoldodctor-

where's the one on the westside??? all i see on the website is woodland hills, valencia, glendale, and encino. :-(

are you sure it's not "hamburger habit" on national and sepulveda? cause it's not the same. i tried it.

orhan- spot on w/ versaille. the quality of chicken can be a bit below expectations...

Apr 25, 06 4:09 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Great Benefits
We start all our new Associates at a minimum of $9.00 an hour for one simple reason...you are important to us! And our commitment to a higher starting wage is just one of the ways in which we show it. Another way is through offering excellent benefits like flexible schedules to accommodate school and other activities, paid vacations, free meals, comprehensive training, and a 401k plan. For our full time Associates, we provide a benefits package that also includes medical, dental, vision, life and travel insurance coverage.

Great Opportunities
Our work environment is team-oriented, fast paced and fun. We encourage ALL of our In-N-Out Associates to grow with the company, to become part of our success story. That's why your success is ours!

Most of our managerial staff have started as hourly associates and have been promoted from within.
We support our Associates by providing an ongoing training program.
On average, our Store Managers earn just under $100,000 a year.
Apr 25, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

make more $$$ flipping burgers (or bagging groceries at TJ's) than designing buildings

I love architecture

Apr 25, 06 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

i love chinese food. i can/did eat chinese food everyday for loooong time. my favorite chinese bbq delis are in chinatown, los angeles. i know there are better chinese restaurants in monterey park. i wanna go to china too.

Apr 25, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

LA seriously has some of the best chinese food in the US. and so plentiful. monterey park is a haven for some of the best stuff i've had. it's def. on par w/ some amazing places i've eaten in SF and seattle and there are so MANY. but yes. if you're not east of the 101, you'll be hard pressed to find anything good.

Apr 25, 06 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

mdler just ate at Rick's

Apr 25, 06 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

this zankou place sounds like a dive greek schwarma place i used to love going to in paris near the bastille. decor leaves everything to be desired, but the rotating meat and that sweet-spicy hot sauce.

it's a chain though? any up in the sf area?

terrible on the gut after a night of kronenberg, but oh so delicious.

Apr 25, 06 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

where can i get a good slice of pizza in LA?

Apr 25, 06 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

that pizza place in echo park?

Apr 25, 06 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

skeerd threw out sushi...i vote for u zen on santa monica blvd just east of Bundy...the baked mussels are insane

also gloria's (just east of the versailles on venice) for salvadoran. recommend the pupusas and/or tamales

Apr 25, 06 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Zankou Chicken constituted my last meal in LA as I head out into the night with my former girl. And then, I had a great In n' Out experience last time I drove with Toma from SF to LA. Can't believe I didn't get one of those burgers when I was in Vegas a few weeks ago. Yeah, I would pick IN n Out.

Apr 25, 06 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Hmm, that pizza place in echo park might be Pizza Buono(a?) but I preferred Nicky D's in Silverlake. Vito's on Vermont was the best but they mysteriously closed up for a month long renovation a year or 2 ago.

Abbot's Pizza in Venice and Santa Monica is pretty good but the "bagel crust" turns some people off.

I've heard good things about Casa Bianca in Eagle Rock but never been.

Apr 25, 06 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
skeerd

sushi (imho): sasabune in wla (now on wilshire & centinela), echigo (sm & bundy), nozawa (studio city), sushi sushi (beverly hills) and hide (sawtelle) is the best bang for the buck but they run out of stuff pretty quick

the world's greatest dim sum restaurant is located on rosemead just north of the 10 frwy and is called harbor seafood. prepare for a wait.

Apr 25, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

casa bianca is the best old school italian pie in socal- the wait sucks though....

we got nuttin on bahston, philly, new yawk, or even chi-town... boo hoo. where is the italian neighborhood in socal? San Fran?

Apr 25, 06 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

mdler:
2nd abbot's pizza on abbot kinney and there's on on pico near SMC.
2nd sushi at hide. great sushi at a good price.
pho: try pho 69 and le saigon (multiple and on santa monica in WLA respectively)

Apr 25, 06 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

mitsuwa market boxed lunches for quick style

Apr 25, 06 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

damn skeerd! i forgot about sasabune...good stuff

Apr 25, 06 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
biggz

Jayburger RULES.

Apr 26, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

for pizza, casa bianca in eagle rock is pretty good. then after dinner, go down the street to the chalet for a drink.

Apr 26, 06 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

do you mean Jay's Jayburger ?

Apr 26, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
jbirl

Being from the east coast, I have eaten in each when I was in the san diego area-----I have to go with in and out. I gotta say I was skeptical- its a hamburger and fries?!?!? But it was great!

I would rather have a good ol cheesesteak anyday with a bag a chips and a soda or beer, but that's just me.

Apr 26, 06 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

jbril-

the question is if you like yours with whiz or without.

Apr 27, 06 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
jbirl

yo center-

I like it 'wit' american (not that whiz crap) and fried onions, a lil ketchup. But I did not intend to shift this discussion.

In n out!

Apr 27, 06 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
savvy

Both are good, but the rage nowadays is over Chinese food in the San Gabriel Valley. In the last 10 years, it has become the country's most competitive Chinese restaurant scene. My vote goes to Din Tai Fung.

Apr 28, 06 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

just had #1 @ in n out. tina had #2. looked like a lot of church goers after the service, and garage band kids. we ate in our large car with a venice blvd view. it wasn't very appetising inside with bunch of kids with fresh pimples and some people clearing their throats. last time i was there, quality was better. now it turned into a little cult thing. adios until next crave...

Apr 30, 06 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

the in-and-out in glendale is the best.....

Apr 30, 06 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: