Archinect
anchor

AIA honorary member

What is an AIA honorary member and what does one person have to do to become one?

Apr 21, 06 5:18 pm
snooker

PRAY TO THE AIA GOD.....DOES IT EVERY TIME.

Apr 21, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

I will try that.

Do you know any good AIA prayers?

Something like:
Our AIA, who governs all of US architecture....

Apr 21, 06 6:01 pm  · 
 · 

If you dont get the joke "our father, who art in heaven....."

Apr 21, 06 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

MASSER OF ARCHITECTURE....WE ARE NOT WORTHY....

start with that....

Apr 21, 06 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

i think the other, more secular, option is to own a paint co, a window co, or a roofing co and to give a lot of money to the aia in order to sponsor their programs.

Apr 22, 06 8:09 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Steven you mean people pay just to get into the AIA....

Apr 22, 06 8:38 am  · 
 · 
quizzical
"The tenets of the AIA highlight the importance of communication and collaboration with allied professions and clients throughout the building and construction industry. Granting Honorary AIA status demonstrates the Institute's gratitude toward those who support and uplift architects and the profession by acknowledging them as part of the AIA family. Their contributions range from recording architectural treasures through photography to building industry alliances; from providing a strong, clear voice for the Institute to faithfully serving and promoting AIA chapter members. "

Procedure: Nominating an Individual for Honorary Membership

Apr 22, 06 11:46 am  · 
 · 

Awesome, thank you.

Apr 22, 06 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Sounds Like Brad Pitt is well on his way for an Honorary Membership....

Apr 22, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

Ok one more, what are the benefits for becoming an AIA Honorary Member?

Apr 22, 06 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

Anyone?

Apr 22, 06 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

To the individual who receives Honorary Membership -- it's simply a public recognition of that non-architect's contribution to AIA, AIA's members and architecture over a period of years.

Beyond that recognition, I don't think there are any other "concrete" benefits ... it's an "honor" pure and simple !

Apr 22, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 

Ok thank you for your response.

Apr 22, 06 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

I'm just curious ... why are you so interested in this topic ?

Apr 22, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

I dont know, I am just curious.

I didnt know they even had a honorary membership.

Apr 22, 06 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

how did Brian MacKay-Lyons become an Hon.Fellow of the AIA in 2001?

Apr 23, 06 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

While Honoray Fellowship is not the same as Honorary Membership, apparently somebody submitted Mr. MacKay-Lyons' credentials for Hon. FAIA and, after reviewing the submittal, the jury agreed that he was qualified ... this was published on the subject at the time:

"Honorary Fellowship for Mackay-Lyons.

Halifax architect Brian MacKay-Lyons has been named an Honorary Fellow of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) College of Fellows. The honour is granted to distinguished architects who are not American citizens. The AIA recognized MacKay-Lyons for "creative buildings characterized by their honesty, elegance, innovation and propriety, inspired by the vernacular structures of his native Nova Scotia" in a ceremony last month at the 2001 AIA National Convention and Expo in Denver, Colorado."

The AIA publishes this about Honorary Fellowship:

"Honorary Fellowship is bestowed on architects of esteemed character and distinguished achievements who are neither U.S. citizens nor U.S. residents, and who do not primarily practice architecture within the domain of the Institute."

Apr 23, 06 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

thank you, quizzical, for going to all the trouble of explaining this

Apr 24, 06 1:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: