Archinect
anchor

OMA proposal for rotating tower.

cypress

Does anyone have any images or info about the tower OMA is proposing for Dubai?

Apparently the whole thing spins ... as if it were sitting on a record player.

Apr 21, 06 5:07 pm
Becker

Sounds like another sad chapter in the story of OMA's demise. did anyone see their museum plaza proposal? WTF? there is a video of it somewhere on the net and it basically shows their design process. eg. make blocks of programs, chuck them together, lift them, connect them, make "WOW" factor video = Architecture.

Sorry to all those who like them.
i'm a fan of Rem's writings, but he is not an architect.

Apr 21, 06 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
Sebastian

Finally!! at last someone else that doesnt like OMA's work, im so glad...
still... i do think Rem is an architect, and a good theorist.

Apr 22, 06 12:43 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I am a fan of OMA, but i do have a sneaking suspicion they may be on a downslope, I'm just waiting to see how CCTV comes out, if it hasn't been cancelled already.

Apr 22, 06 1:40 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

whenever i hear of some stupid project by OMA now, all i think feel like doing is 'burrrrrrp'!

Apr 22, 06 2:27 am  · 
 · 
siggers

lol sameold...

watch this space I guess...

Apr 22, 06 7:45 am  · 
 · 
softcell

tell me an alternative to OMA and why.....

Apr 22, 06 10:56 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

I can't say I agree with what OMA does.. but I can never wait for their next building! Provocative..

Apr 22, 06 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
The Thriller in Manila

OMA: overrated!!

Apr 22, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

well, to be fair I think they have been pretty brave in what they've done, and achieved some really significant works, of course as in everything there is an element of hyping, and they do take it too far sometimes, ignoring certain critical aspects, so I would have to say...OMA are OK ;-)

And the Educatorium is the most fun I´ve ever had in a building I think.

Apr 22, 06 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
vinatieri

basically, I think everything sucks right now, but I have seen images of the Dubai entry and it is seriously fucking great.

Apr 22, 06 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
softcell

can you post the link to teh images?

Apr 22, 06 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

I would like to see as well.

Apr 22, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
6nuew

Yes, images please.

Apr 22, 06 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

really ?? ... i never heard of that ... i gotta do some digging now ...

Apr 24, 06 3:28 am  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

The Educatorium is kick ass. It's shame there is water damage on the sloping glass facade (cafeteria section, nice/cheap food for a uni).

Apr 24, 06 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

I attended Rem's lecture at the National Building Museum in DC last night (4/25/06) and he showed us images of this project towards the end of his presentation. It is sited on an inlet, 900 ft tall, 600 ft wide, and 60 feet across. He described it as a giant white concrete slab, I guess to exist in opposition to all the blossoming skyscrapers going up in Dubai now. The only deviation from the rectangular shape is a small spherical bumpout about 3/4 of the way up, not sure why they put this in. But it is on a big rotating pad, so the whole thing rotates. The most interesting part of his lecture I thought was some of the work that AMO, or his "think-tank" company has come up with. That's a whole other thread though.

Apr 25, 06 8:24 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

I still cant find any images ... nor anything on the net that even mentions this project !!! ...

junkie .. tell us about the works of his "think tank"

Apr 25, 06 8:31 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

MOAR INFO REQD

Apr 25, 06 9:14 am  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

"think tank" was the term he used to describe AMO. He described it as a company to investigate different ideas and idealogies without the need for a physical/architectural/built results. Basically his big research lab with no need for results, other than to publish everything in a few books I'm guessing. (he showed photos of 2 books (labelled Vol. 1 and 2) not sure if these are published yet or what.
Some AMO projects he touched on:
-A new european flag that consists of tons of solid vertical color bands (looks like a barcode), signifying unity and diversity, he showed photos of a tent exhibit setup with a cartoonish like history of europe on the walls inside. Had funny images, one of the backside of a guy with the barcode/flag tattooed on his neck.
-Rem mentioned how there was a split at Harvard about living on the north side or south side of the river, and their proposal to rectify or eliminate the "wrong side of the river" was to dig out a new path and completely divert the river, so everyone lived on the north side, and build condos in the former riverbed

My overall impression of Rem is that he's a terribly intelligent man, and his mind is constantly all over the place. I noticed he would skip 2,3 or 4 slides ahead quickly and come back, to remind himself as to what topic or direction to steer his lecture. Often he'd spend less than 1 or 2 seconds on a slide at all.
The acoustics in the buiding were horrible, many people sitting in the middle of the group couldnt hear because of the echoes, at one point someone stood up and shouted to Rem that they couldn't understand him, his quick response was "do you have a solution?"

Other than that he covered the Seattle Library, the Embassy in Berlin, the CCTV project, and the Casa de Musica in Portugal.

Apr 25, 06 10:39 am  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

supernova-
i'm guessing you can't find anything on that becaue they haven't put anything out on it.
its just a vertical white concrete slab with a little pimple-like bump really. the whole thing sits on a circular stand that rotates.
I don't think it is finalized enough to put out to press.

Apr 25, 06 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Gravitas

I was at the NBM lecture last night too, and I felt like the Dubai project was basically an evolution of modernist principles, particulalry the Seagram building. They are reacting to the ridiculous, overly ornate skyscrapers popping up all around the with a stark rectilinear simplification of the form. And in relation to the set back Seagram plaza, he reorients the siting and approach to his building by setting it within a lake surrounded by a dense building fabric and then making it rotate. The best part of the whole presentation was the image from 2001: A Space Odyssey he used as a diagram for the Dubai project.

Apr 25, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

OMA sucks

Apr 25, 06 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
zoroaster
the European Union flag proposal

Apr 25, 06 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
AP

rotate vs. twist?

Apr 25, 06 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

is that a flag or a beach towel??? and do those colors run??? cuz these don't...

Apr 25, 06 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

rotating buildings....this could be one reason we are so dependent on oil?

Apr 25, 06 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
AP

meta, spinning then, not rotating or twisting.

unlike the calatrava you put above, the OMA project being discussed, from what I understand, is a near typical rectangular tower, spinning on some kind of "record player" -esque base.

so, spinning it is. not running or bleeding, as it were.

Apr 25, 06 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

Thats what i thought too AP, it physically spins. and mdler has a perfect point. is it worth it? or is it just an egotistical statement on a heroic(in this case wasteful) scale?

i bet they will only spin it for the first month or so max. haha. wish them luck, it would be funny to see.

Apr 25, 06 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
sharpie.

has anyone got any online links to any of rem's lectures?

Apr 26, 06 2:10 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

also, could someone explain the need for a "spinning tower". i don't quite understand it.

Apr 26, 06 2:15 am  · 
 · 

maybe it's a great big wind turbine. THAT would be much more impressive than louisville's 'broken chair'.

Apr 26, 06 7:02 am  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

there is no need for a spinning tower. There's also no need for an indoor ski resort in Dubai, but that's been built.
There's a lot of money in the area and they're enjoying their wealth. I'd make some crazy ass huge buildings too if I was worth 5 or 6 Bil.

Apr 26, 06 7:43 am  · 
 · 
//./.

"U.S. Energy Consumption by Sector
A reorganization of existing data--combining the energy required to run residential, commercial, and industrial buildings along with the embodied energy of industry-produced materials like carpet, tile, and hardware--exposes architecture as the hidden polluter."

[url=http://www.metropolismag.com/html/content_1003/glo/]

Apr 26, 06 8:05 am  · 
 · 

I love it that there are other firms making all these "green" attempts at skyscrapering in DUBAI, where energy has got to be about the cheapest in the world, and OMA is just going to say, "yeah, fuck it, we'll use all the normal energy a building takes, and then strip mine some moreso we can make our building spin!"

Apr 26, 06 8:14 am  · 
 · 
Gravitas

Actually I believe the spinning will be camel-powered. You know, just to piss off PETA.

Apr 26, 06 9:29 am  · 
 · 
cypress

The whole "argument" for the spinning building is an ecological or green one. The building spins in relation to the movement of the sun ... constantly rotating it's long face out out of the sun out of the sun's rays.

Pretty fucking cool!!

Apr 26, 06 10:13 am  · 
 · 

Before y'all get so Counter-reformation on OMA, don't forget that Curitiba has a revolving apt building.

Rem probably found the idea on the news.

Apr 26, 06 10:34 am  · 
 · 
see more

of the Brasil rotator.

Apr 26, 06 10:37 am  · 
 · 

oh looky, still available at MSNBC.

Apr 26, 06 10:45 am  · 
 · 
cypress

JA ... every city has a revolving restaurant as well.

But the OMA Dubai project is completely different. The whole building literally sits spins as a whole. The brasil building has a stationary core and structure. In dubai everything rotates. How this is structurally possible I have no idea.

Mussolini's engineer built a home for himself that rotated as a whole ... but noone has ever done what OMA is proposing here.

oh ooohh, scary ... connect the fascist dots

Apr 26, 06 10:55 am  · 
 · 
mdler
Apr 26, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Apr 26, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Apr 26, 06 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
www.wheresneal.com/

images/prague/gyr-ohmy.jpg

damn image wont post

Apr 26, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Apr 26, 06 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

mmmm ... shawerma ....

Apr 27, 06 8:19 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

that looks diseased tho ...

Apr 27, 06 8:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: