Apr 20, 06 1:43 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

"Anything for the doc"

cool, so im gonna get started on my:

Apr 20, 06 2:48 am  · 
 · 
French

What did I say Myriam? So much has happened on this thread since I left I have a hard time seeing where you guys are at now. And I don't understand why you say we didn't want to help you Sheri24?

Apr 20, 06 5:03 am  · 
 · 

haha. french, myriam wasn't blaming something on you.

i think she was pointing out to sheri24 ['impolitesse is not a word'], that impolitesse is a french word.

Apr 20, 06 7:05 am  · 
 · 
bigness

it's a 14 yo kid, please, dont get dragged into arguments with someone who cant even buy her own booze. have some self respect!

Apr 20, 06 7:11 am  · 
 · 
sheri25

LOL

Apr 20, 06 7:25 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

sheri ... really ? ... awww ...

Apr 20, 06 7:37 am  · 
 · 
My presentation went very well, and even though it was impossible to get the floor plan

I GOT IT.

So then it wasn't impossible...

Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE!
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

<sigh>

Apr 20, 06 8:58 am  · 
 · 

lol,

the perfect ending to an odd thread.

Apr 20, 06 9:01 am  · 
 · 
audio

of above mentioned dialogue...

Apr 20, 06 9:07 am  · 
 · 
job job

DPR: you must be very intelligent

Vizz: I'll put it this way - have you ever heard of plato? socrates?

DPR: yes...?

Vizz: morons.

Apr 20, 06 9:12 am  · 
 · 

...You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less famous is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian, when *death* is on the line!"...

Apr 20, 06 9:16 am  · 
 · 
job job

in. mon.: fezzick, jog his memory

Apr 20, 06 9:17 am  · 
 · 

[As Buttercup prepares to commit suicide with a dagger]
Westley: There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours.

Apr 20, 06 9:20 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh my god we're quoting The Princess Bride NOW this thread is getting fun!

But I'm gonna be a girl about it:

"If your love is a grain of sand, mine is an eternity of beaches."

"Wait, Wesley, slow down, I'm still working on this sand idea...."

Apr 20, 06 9:21 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

But when halfway down the slope Fezzik happily burst into flames and started shouting "I AM THE DREAD PIRATE ROBERTS AND THERE WILL BE NO SURVIVORS!!!"....

(sorry guys I'm quoting the book not the movie, but still)

Apr 20, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 

I just finished the book and I must say it is vastly superior to the movie.

Apr 20, 06 9:24 am  · 
 · 
job job

inigo: he's gaining on us!! I wonder if he is using the same wind we are using?

Apr 20, 06 9:24 am  · 
 · 
job job

there's a book? not just the prop that columbo is reading to the wonder years kid?

must....buy...

Apr 20, 06 9:25 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm planning to introduce it to my son when he's a little older: first, I'll just read aloud to him the "good parts", then when he's a teenager I'll clue him in to the overall satire and let him read the book himself.

Apr 20, 06 9:28 am  · 
 · 

Its the story of the story that makes the book so good. I've always been a fan of the movie, and on Easter my sister let me borrow her copy of the book. Finished it in a day flat, with the majority taken care of while sitting around my mother's house. Its definately one of those books that I'm going to get my own copy of for my quasi-library.

Apr 20, 06 9:32 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My sister and I fought over who was going to keep our copy of it after we graduated from college. She won (she always does). Of course it is so dog-eared and yellow it's hardly readable.

Apr 20, 06 9:39 am  · 
 · 
job job

ok found it

last one:

albino-with-cold-sore: you're..in the...pit...of.....DESPAIR!

Apr 20, 06 9:44 am  · 
 · 

The one I read was the 30th anniversary edition and the new forwards and inclusion of the 1st chapter of Buttercup's Baby make it worthwhile. Once again, the story of the story (trying not to give away anything as Liberty Bell is fully aware of).

There, I think I've done my good dead of the day by starting the thread-jacking.

Apr 20, 06 9:53 am  · 
 · 

"The name is the neccesary thing to inspire fear. No one would surrender to the Dread Pirate Wesley."

If you called him and couldn't get it, he's got his reasons honey, and using somebody who knows him wouldn't do any good. Glad you found another way. Still can't believe this was a thesis.

Apr 20, 06 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

My guess is that Miss Sheri has a misunderstanding about what a thesis is.

Apr 20, 06 11:26 am  · 
 · 
e

if only they had this crazy thing called the internet when i was growing up.

Apr 20, 06 11:51 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
you guys didnt help me, why should I help you???

bitch!

Apr 20, 06 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

^^^ok...my bad...i felt bad calling someone a bitch

Apr 20, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
bob_dobbalina

my understanding of a thesis (in general academia) is that it makes an assertion about some existing work and backs it up with a thorough review of existing research or works on the subject.

a dissertation is new work based on new original research or material.

haven't got that far in architecture, anyone care to enlighten me?

Apr 20, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
"...If all of you had just taken off at the end of the semester to get a tan, you'd all be happier people."

No, we'd be dropouts.

IMO, Sheri comes off as a spoiled-rotten teenage princess who tried to get something for free, and then threw a temper tantrum when people questioned her demands. Maybe some day she'll grow up.

Apr 20, 06 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Hey LB--have you ever read the Princess and the Goblin?

Pixel and I were also talking about "The Castle in the Attic" recently. Man, your little one has such GREAT books ahead of him... In fact I think I might start re-reading a lot of these myself...

Apr 20, 06 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Nope, myriam, haven't read that one. As my son gets older I will look for it - he's only 3. I do intend to expose him to all kinds of great books. Of course when I start reading him "Theoretical Anxiety and Design Strategies in the Work of Eight Contemporary Architects" before bed I expect he'll be ready to move out. He'll probably be about 5.

Apr 20, 06 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

Last night I suggested to my older daughter (she'll be 5 next week) that we read A Thousand Years of Nonlinear History. She looked at it and said it was boring.

Apr 20, 06 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I was chuckling at this thread...and then the princess bride references started...

good folks, good work.

and from my experience, in an academic project, if there's anything existing you can't figure out how to draw, just fudge it. no one will know.

Apr 20, 06 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

I'm tellin' you Myriam, it was just a rip-off of Indian in the Cupboard.

However, LB, every young boy (age 10ish) should read My Side of the Mountain. Just be prepared that he's going to try to live in a tree for a bit after that.

Apr 20, 06 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Forgive me if this double posts, it seems to have disappeared:

The Phantom Tollbooth is one I intend to give him, I re-read bits of it myself all the time. Here is an interview with the author, Norton Juster, and architect.

I had forgotten My Side of the Mountain, Pixel, thanks!

Apr 20, 06 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

the Hollow Tree House........

Apr 20, 06 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
bob_dobbalina

a movie as well. about the same era as rooster cogburn . . .

Apr 20, 06 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Did any one ever figure out how she got the plan from professor Ed?

That should have been professor Ed FAIA. I was searching for “residential architect” and found this a very funny funny thread.

Aug 27, 06 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

Pixelwhore, who DOESN'T want to live in a tree? I know I still do!

Aug 27, 06 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

I had forgotten about that book. We were read that book during story time in either fifth or third grade. I am always looking for a tree big enough to move into.

I just placed that book and the audio book since I am going to be driving my kids to school for the next three weeks.

Rationalist,

Did you ever get the chance to have Ed Niles for studio?

Aug 27, 06 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

sheri hows your tan???

Aug 27, 06 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

dsc- nah, he taught I topic studio while I was in thesis, so I missed him. He doesn't teach anywhere near full-time at this point, just a studio here and there. I always thought his lectures were a notch above the rest, though.

Aug 28, 06 1:53 am  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

I had him in the spring of 1990. it was the best class i ever took. Did you know that he played on the football team his freshman year (he is a USC alum)?

A lot of my approach to architecture was molded by his class. Life work ballance, live the CA dream and even the bent toward space architecture. Required reading for his class was the operation’s manual for the space shuttle.

In his speech for tpoic studio was the idea that he will grind us to the bone but you will never feel the pain. It was so true!

Aug 28, 06 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: