Archinect
anchor

Architecture that heals?

peagreenpigs

My topic for thesis has been an age old concept of effects of architecture on psyche. Does this effect on the mind be therapeutic? Can architecture heal? Can it cure? Can it train a child with a developmental disorder? Can architecture have a profound influence on such a child so that he could eventually be a part of a workable society? Please help me by suggesting works/books i could read up on to widen my opinion and knowledge. Please tell me where i fall short and what I need to study in order to come up the right way to design? Any suggestions/ advice is looked forward to. Thanks! :D

Feb 10, 12 4:53 am

There is a lot of research to do with the architecture of schools and the relationship between the students progress and their surrounding environment. 

There is also more and more empirical data supporting the hypothesis that connection to nature (view of nature, daylight etc) does in fact contribute to faster healing times in hospitals. The original study was undertaken by R.S. Ulrich and the paper was called "View through a window may influence recover from surgery" in the journal Science  from 1984. There have since been more scientific studies done. The general theory of biophilia is also worth looking into as it addresses a lot of the physical and psychological benefits of incorporating nature into a design.

As for helping a child with a developmental disorder I don;t know. It seems the issues associated with developmental disorders can not necessarily be 'corrected' as they potentially can be with anxiety or other psychological issues.

good luck.

Feb 10, 12 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

You should look at the flip side of this as well. If there is such thing as Architecture that heals, then surely you will also have Architecture that scars. And if so, what is it? What makes a designed environment detrimental to human psyche? Can you compile a list of architectural elements that can be deemed as largely negative? 

It may be worth your time to do a mini study on things to avoid. Is there such a thing as the most evil building in the world?

My vote is for the clown asylum in downtown Tokyo. But the Japanese may see it differently.

Feb 10, 12 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
marisco

I'm not sure of a specific healing piece, but if you want to look at one that was intended to heal that instead drove people insane I would look at Eastern State Penitentiary, it is definitely a very interesting place.

Feb 13, 12 8:15 pm  · 
 · 

Just an observation I've made in the past several years....I have known many former clients and apprentices of FLW. I have noticed that many clients lived well into their 80's and 90's...a few into their 100's. A former apprentice friend of mine who had a long career of his own, has clients living in the homes he designed that are well into their 90's. I realize people are living longer these days...but there could be something to the power of living in a great house you love, and longevity....Exercise, eat well, and live in a cool kick ass house?

Feb 14, 12 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: