Archinect
anchor

portfolio critique

cubicfeet

I've completed a draft of my portfolio, and would really appreciate constructive criticism and advice from the archinect community on cleaning it up.Thanks so much.

http://issuu.com/frangipani13/docs/portfolio

Feb 10, 12 1:26 am

I really really thought the talk scape was interesting. The bike camp looks intriguing as well.

Feb 12, 12 12:07 am  · 
 · 
snail

General comments:

- Throughout the portfolio there are drawings that you could scan, and model shots that would benefit from being rephotographed and/or having the backgrounds removed.

- Rethink the order of your projects - right now some of your strongest projects are in the middle, while your weakest one is at the end. Give your portfolio a more interesting finale.

- How would it look if you got rid of the purple background on some of your text blocks? White space can be your friend!

- Your projects are generally strong. There are some moments that would benefit from improved presentation, but you also have some other especially good moments.

Specific pages:

2-3
The image on the left is a great dramatic opener

6-7 Your renderings here aren't that great - especially not the two on the left. For the ones on the left, you could get rid of the grassy background and just given them a white background. Or (this is a better idea) give them context - an urban context would be interesting.

I feel like your first project is too drawn out. Try combining 4-5 and 6-7 into one spread.

8-9 The change in the 2020-2035 drawings isn't very legible. On the right your color choices are clunky.

16-17 Sections are clunky - could have more varied line weights.

19-21 Have the houseboat project start on its own spread. You could get rid of some of the views and sections on the last page.

Feb 12, 12 1:25 am  · 
 · 
cubicfeet

@snail: thank you for those detailed/insightful comments! i will work on all those things.

@aaron: thanks for the encouragement!

Feb 12, 12 2:05 am  · 
 · 

i agree with the poster above about getting rid of the purplish/blueish boxes that your text sits in. I dont really think its helping having that color tone around. 

Feb 12, 12 11:19 am  · 
 · 
cubicfeet

@snail: just one question. i put the houseboat project last because it wasn't a studio project, but something i worked on in an office. so i wasn't sure if it would really fit anywhere else. i didn't really think it would go well in the middle...suggestions?

Feb 14, 12 10:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: