Archinect
anchor

I'm super ANGRY! About some EGGS!

collartim

It's not typical of me to fire off angry rants like this, but I have to say that I feel VERY disappointed and also VERY deceived about something I recently read in this forum! I'm referring to a recent post which PURPORTS to explain the best method of preparing hard-boiled eggs. Everything, EVERYTHING, went terribly wrong.
I have to say, when I first happened upon the post I felt grateful. Easter was coming up and I had planned on coloring eggs with the children. I've tried different ways of preparing hard-boileds before but never settled on one exact method. The post seemed to present a clear method and was from the “Georgia Egg Association.” That sounded pretty official and trustworthy to me. Now, let me tell you: those people are either FRAUDS or HUCKSTERS or some angry damn TEENAGERS just trying to have a cheap laugh at some nice family's expense! Because that method is CRAP. Let me say why!
Now, what's the ideal hard-boiled egg situation? It's this: when you go to peel that thing, the shell comes off almost in one whole piece. Crack, shell off, done. Right? What's the worst that can happen? The worst is what happened to me! The damn shell STICKS to the white part of the egg and pulls off pieces of the egg with the shell! Also, the shell comes off in these little pieces, even when you use just the gentle side of your thumb to peel. When I finished peeling those, the sink looked like it had been loaded up with confetti, that's how small the shell bits were. AND, the soft part of the egg was torn down to almost nothing! How the hell am I supposed to present a bunch of pock-marked, scarred-up, chewed-up, ass-y looking eggs to children, friends and family? How?! Not to mention DEVILED eggs, should I care to devil them. I'm so damn mad about this!
Don't even start to say stuff like, “Well, maybe you didn't follow the directions properly,” because I damn well DID. Down to the exact timing and everything. So don't give me that CRAP.
Listen: next time you what to do something nice with your family, here's my advice: don't trust ANYTHING you read on the damn internet. Because they'll bugger you. Especially if you need to make some great H-Boileds. Don't trust any of the so-called “egg”-sperts. They'll screw you over, friend. And you'll be the dumb bunny left holding the friggin' wicker basket!

Apr 16, 06 10:22 pm
bigness

uh?
it's 3 am, i;m now officially an insomniac, but this does not make much sense now, does it?

Apr 16, 06 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hardboiled shamus philip marlowe and the lady with the fine gams phone the hardboiled egg hotline to get the proper instructions for easter festivities...

Apr 16, 06 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I wise person once said, "Don't cry over split milk."

Apr 16, 06 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

i think you overboiled your eggs

Apr 17, 06 12:19 am  · 
 · 
wood_

fresh eggs might have also caused the probelm

Apr 17, 06 12:25 am  · 
 · 
surface

"How the hell am I supposed to present a bunch of pock-marked, scarred-up, chewed-up, ass-y looking eggs to children, friends and family?"

I am really concerned that you associate the descriptions pock-marked, scarred-up, chewed-up, with the ass. It does not speak well about the state of either your buttocks or your livestock.

Apr 17, 06 12:48 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

lol ... this is funny

Apr 17, 06 2:06 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

i prefer sunny side up ..

Apr 17, 06 2:07 am  · 
 · 

liberty. you gots some 'splainin' to dooooo.

Apr 17, 06 7:22 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

oh so .. it was LB, was it ? .. hahahaha

Apr 17, 06 8:01 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

where did you get your eggs from ? :)

Apr 17, 06 8:04 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I had a lovely suburban Sunday morning - got together with three other families for an Easter egg hunt (kids) and mimosas (adults) plus the added bonus of a bottle of Widmer Hefeweizen from the former-Oregonian neighbors who know it was my favorite beer back in PDX (note: it really has to be draft though - the bottle just isn't right, but a very sweet effort on their part).

So of the eggs my boy brought home in his basket: the ones made by me peeled in one clean sheet. The eggs prepared by neighbors didn't peel and resulted in pock-marked eggs as described above.

My eggs were prepared according to the Georgia Egg Board reccommendations (also endorsed by the kitchen goddess Julia Child, BTW). I don't know who the "Georgia Egg Association" that you mention above is, collartim, but obviously they don't know what they're talking about. Must be some evil sister organization, fooling innocents into screwing up their kid's holidays. Better luck next time.

Apr 17, 06 9:04 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

PS Susan once again rocks with the funniest comment on this thread. ;-)

Apr 17, 06 9:05 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

lol .... good morning LB .. monday blues?

Apr 17, 06 9:17 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Thanks for asking sporadic! My partner is currently sitting 10' away from me loudly swearing at his TurboTax program.

I need a repeat of yesterday's 9AM mimosas.

Apr 17, 06 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

Not sure about how long to boil them for but to add natural colour just, add the dry outer skin of an onion to the boiling water. You can get violet or brown egg shells

Apr 17, 06 9:32 am  · 
 · 

thing is that water, humidity, air pressure...all these local things can conspire to ruin the perceived universality of your egg recipe.

Apr 17, 06 9:35 am  · 
 · 
AP

^ a call for contextually specific Easter egg recipes...

Apr 17, 06 9:53 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

haha ,,, this is quite the funny thread ..

Apr 17, 06 10:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: