Archinect
anchor

computer guys - how'd i do?

MArch n' unemployed

im looking to get a laptop and this is what i've configured, i haven't ordered anything yet, im sure i could get an even better deal if i called [this was from online]
but could you guys take a look and let me know if there things you wouldn't get, or if there are things i should add?

Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2400 (1.83GHz/667MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
17 inch UltraSharpâ„¢ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife
1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory
100GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
4Yr Ltd Warranty, At-Home Svc, and HW Warranty Supt
Dell On Call, 30day, Getting started Assistance, unlimited incidents

TOTAL:$1,761.00

Apr 15, 06 1:14 am
MArch n' unemployed

oh i should add, programs i'll have on it and use regularly:

aCAD
rhino
illus CS2
p-shop CS

and i have maya 7, but don't really know how to really use it, but i could eventually.

Apr 15, 06 1:16 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

this laptop is going to be pretty weighty though...for this price and a little bit more you can have 2 desktops-one at home one at the studio which will outperform the laptop...and during crunch submission times, you can get both the desktops side by side, modeling in one, rendering in one...

anyway, dont listen to me, this is a good laptop too, just see if you can max the RAM to 2 gigs, now or later....

Apr 15, 06 1:37 am  · 
 · 
waxwings

i've got a similar set up with a 15" wide screen. i'm very frustrated with the uxga (1200x1920) it's great with programs but awful on the web and i haven't found a scaling solution that i'm happy with -don't even try 120dpi.

if i did it again, i'd go middle of the road on the resolution. actually, id get an asus.

media center is ok. if you get the remote package, you'll get a big clunky ir receiver to plug into you laptop.

also, i'd go with the 9 cell battery and drop the warranty to 2 years -your computer will be obsolete by then.

Apr 15, 06 1:39 am  · 
 · 
waxwings

yeah, price seems kinda high for a dell
what kind of coupons are you using?

Apr 15, 06 1:43 am  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

i had the $750 off coupon. i agree that money would be better spent on a desktop, i have one already, i just think i'd be more interested in taking my computer home at night, assuming i go home. i don't think i want to leave my computer there. it may be a bitch to carry, but im not worried about that.

i do agree about the battery, also about the support, what do you guys think about the screen and video card? i upgraded both of them.

Apr 15, 06 2:16 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Personally, I'd keep the warranty. I always say they'll be outdated and I'll just keep buying new ones, but I dont'. I've got a workstation and reg pc with no warranty now. One thing goes, and I'll dump them simply because it's too much of a headache trying to fix it myself, then with no warranty even once it's fixed.

That's my advice. Nice if you can update your machine every year or so (and I do), but that's not to say you are going to throw the other away.

Screen should be good, video card adequate. If you were going to upgrade, I'd go to the 2.0 processor and get a faster drive. That ones is pretty slow.

Apr 15, 06 9:33 am  · 
 · 
jitter12

I second the drive speed notion. Spend the extra money to upgrade to a 7200 rpm drive at least. It will help with the large files. Also, make sure the memory is in such a way that it is easily upgraded. If you find that you would like to up it to 2gb in a few months, and you have 2 512 mb sticks rather than 1 -1 gb stick, it will cost you more to upgrade.

Apr 15, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Are you going to Penn? I forget. #1 Check with the school's computing services about XP Media Center. I think most prefer Pro for security reasons. #2 if you are going home late at night, chances are you AREN'T going to want to carry a heavy computer home. You're tired. #3 I know of more laptops being stolen enroute to school than from studio. I.e lock it up, no one is going to take it, carry it, and you might get mugged. I never carry my laptop home alone at night. If you do, don't get a laptop bag, get a back pack that can hold a laptop unless you want to advertise that you are a rich student with a sweet laptop.

Apr 15, 06 11:04 am  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

good points hasselhoff...but no im not going to penn. berkeley likely

Apr 15, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: