Archinect
anchor

mp3 player/ipod India

Jr.

Okay, I've read all the mp3/I-pod threads, but I'm still not sure what to buy. I'm about to go spend two months in India, so I want something pretty rugged. I can't see that I'm going to get much of a chance to add new music to it once I leave home, so it would be nice if I could find one with enough GB to store two months' worth of music. On the other hand, I'm the kind of person that listens to the same CD 30-40 times before getting around to putting on something new, so maybe I don't have to rip every CD I own. I guess it would be nice if it had an FM tuner in case I just want to listen to...I don't know...All India Radio or something.

The other thing is battery life, I have a feeling it might be a hassle to recharge things all the time. A lot of the players I've been looking at say they will run for 19 or 20 hours--should I believe that?

I guess I also don't want to invest too much money in case it gets lost or stolen or just dies from heat and dust. Any ideas?

Apr 15, 06 12:11 am
sameolddoctor

and ipod will be fine, i took mine on my last trip to india, no probs withstanding the heat etc...
there are some good FM channels in india, but depends on which city you go to. But if this is your first time, you will be experiencing so many new things, music wont be on your list, believe me.

Apr 15, 06 1:40 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

Heat and dust? Which part of India are you going to, the Thar desert? It isn't that bad, man, relax.

Apr 15, 06 6:49 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Ipod's fine man ,, I took mine, on a recent trip to delhi.. no probs at all ...

with regards to the battery life.. ipod sucks ..

I've got a 40gb one.. battery stays on for 8 hours of continuous play max ..
which part of India are you going to ?

p.s. all india radio is the pits ... go for the Mp3 player

Apr 15, 06 8:47 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

If you get the ipod .. get one of them rubber skins with the plastic screenshield ( I use one) .. that should keep it ready for the rough and tough

Apr 15, 06 8:49 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

I always have mine with me in India (and we are in rural areas on the coast). Make sure you've figured how to charge it. If you are going through the UK, Heathrow have the best plug converters ($15) which include a USB to plug adapter. This means you can charge your ipod in any country in the world.

I have a 4th Gen. ipod from a couple of years back and the battery blows. still I never listen to it longer than 2/3 hours.

Apr 15, 06 10:08 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

The IPod's slowly becoming a symbol of conformist consumerism.. I can't wait to get one!

Apr 15, 06 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

ManuG, I was specifically advised to think about protecting my electronic equipment from dust. Anyway, that was just a play on a Ruth Prawer Jhabvala novel. I'm going to be in Rajasthan. What happens if you leave an mp3 player sitting in direct sunlight? Can't be good. I'm more worried about it getting banged up because I have a habit of a) sticking things in my pockets and forgetting about them until they fall out into the stream I'm crossing b) dropping things and c) stepping on things.

Sporadic, I don't actually know that I would be listening to the radio in India, but I do listen to it at home, at the gym, etc. so fm feature would be good.

I don't know, 8 hours of battery life doesn't sound too great for the $$$ it costs to buy an I-pod. I'll have to think about it. 8 hours wouldn't even get me through a plane ride to some parts of the world. Does anyone own an mp3 player that's *not* an ipod?

Apr 15, 06 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
timpdx

I am one of the ucouth who owns a Creative Zen Xtra. I like it, holds a bunch of music, not as pretty, but I also beat on my gear and the Zen came with a sort of ugly but functional and seemingly rugged case. Battery life is great, sound quality is great, works for me, but then again, I'll pick the "wrong" shoes that happen to be more comfortable. (If you get the Zen spare yourself the OEM software, it sucks, but there are 3rd party alternatives like Notmad)

Apr 15, 06 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

snjr,
Are you going to be with Bunker Roy and the Barefoot Architects in Tilonia?

Apr 16, 06 12:16 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

Cameron, no, but wouldn't that be awesome? I'm going over with the American Institute of India Studies to improve my Hindi. Hoping to do some preliminary dissertation research while I'm there. I'm not sure if I'm going through Heathrow or not; I'll keep any eye for that adapter, though, it sounds good.

Tim in Portland, I'll take a look at that. The photos make it look huge, but that might be a bonus. I can never find my cellphone, it's too small.

Apr 16, 06 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

or you could get a cool solar powered charger?

i have an ipod that i use all the time- i have just manually replaced the battery for the second time- a third gen 40gig one- its great having so much music around wih you- but when you get the click buzz of battery out.....

Apr 16, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

snjr ,,... "American Institute of India Studies" .. in gurgaon, near Delhi ?

thats an awsome place.. been there a couple of times to work on a few case studies and refer to their art archives. .. if it is the place that i think you're going to ...

Apr 17, 06 2:17 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

anyway,
if you want the fm feature ... skip the Ipod.. it does have an attachment for fm .. but it's just tooo bulky and simply not worth the trouble

Apr 17, 06 2:17 am  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

for the new iPod the fm radio is a remote (the remote is useful if you don't want to take your player out of your pocket) and cable, not bulky at all. battery life is between 8-14/15 hours, get applecare for the iPod if you are worried about potential battery problems (which all electronic devices have i might add). The iSkin Cases are great for protection. I recommend getting third party headphones the apple ones suck, i like the shure in ear ones.

Apr 17, 06 9:42 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

sporadic, I'm going to be at AIIS in Jaipur (hoping to travel some around Rajasthan, though).

Apr 17, 06 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

snjr, you can just stop by the Barefoot College.

Apr 17, 06 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

you can also buy an external battery for the ipod which slips into the dock connector at the bottom and extends the battery life significantly

Apr 17, 06 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

Thanks, Clemson. As soon as the semester finishes, I'm going to have to do some serious mp3 player shopping. I'm not really cool enough to own an ipod, but it's starting to sound like the easiest thing to do.

Cameron, thanks for the suggestion. I didn't realize how close to Tilonia I'd be, so that's something else to look forward to.

Apr 18, 06 12:13 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

cameron...

sorry ... but what's the barefoot college ?

Apr 18, 06 1:19 am  · 
 · 
Cameron
http://www.barefootcollege.org/

/amazing work.

Apr 18, 06 2:40 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

nice cameron ... I remember seeing the logo, when i was working in New Delhi ...

Apr 18, 06 3:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: