Archinect
anchor

i loooove LA

MArch n' unemployed

so im taking the trash out, i have to wheel the trash can through my back yard, through a gate to the alley behind our place. i notice a red glow before i get out there and think to myself that some asshole has parked in front of our garage again. so i walk out to see a brand new caddy with a fat guy at the wheel, about 65 years old. he sees me then all of a sudden i see some skank slowly pulling her head out of his lap.

wonderful

Apr 14, 06 2:11 pm
A Center for Ants?

nice one.

i was buying a taco at my fav taco truck the other day. a guy walks up to me and asks me for change so he can buy one too. i say maybe. he starts talking to me saying he's from "MHC" and it's his hood. MHC stands for "money, clothes, and hoes" says i'm cool. asks me if i live around here. and i tell him no, i live on the westside. he says this is the westside. (i'm at la brea & olympic). i get my burrito, give him the 50 cents change. he's happy and waves a little 4 oz. bag of green at me. which looked a little more oregano than otherwise. i go home.

Apr 14, 06 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

that's good too. i should say my apartment is in west hollywood, but 10 feet and im in bev hills. not what i expected.

Apr 14, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

speaking of taco trucks, i snapped this pic while visiting LA last week - can't vouch for the quality. it was near glendale or eagle rock, as i recall.

Apr 14, 06 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

its raining in LA

sunny california, my ass

Apr 14, 06 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Similar story to MArch06:
My old landlord kept an old caddy he was planning on fixing up one of these years parked out in front of the building. One night coming home from studio I drive past and see what looks like a Harpo Marx style wig in the back seat. I park my car and I have to walk past the caddy again and this time there are a pair of legs in the air, I peer in and indeed there are two people in flagrante delicto. Neither one of them is the landlord. I go into the building call the landlord and the cops and wait. When the cops arrive they are still going at it and hauled out of the car, since they didn't have to break anything to get into the car the cops let them go. A couple months later when the cops came by to ask about the dead body that was found outside the building I decided it was time to get out of that hood.

I just moved away recently (I lived in LA for a few more years after leaving Downtown for Silverlake and Echo Park) on my drive to the airport to leave LA for good it looked like I had just missed a fatal hit and run, there was a body lying in the street. The firetrucks pulled up right behind me, but still a pretty chilling reminder of why I was leaving.

I miss the food though, LA has the best fast food in the country , gimme a double double animal style and I would be a happy man.

Apr 14, 06 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

oooh...animal style.

kind of funny those things happened to you while you were leaving LA. i decided to take the trash out when i did so i could give my brain a rest. i had spent the whole night trying to decide if i wanted to leave LA for SF [UCLA vs. berkeley].
guess that was my sign

Apr 14, 06 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

my old hood (cincinnati) is more of a ghetto than my new one (LA)

Apr 14, 06 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

double double from in&out?
man, i still remember those places, absolutely amazing...my grandad brought me tghere while i was visiting him in cali...that and jack in the box milkshakes.

Apr 14, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

it's raining today
but i love LA tho, can't wait for the sunshine..

Apr 14, 06 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Oh no, not Jack in the Box, get a Neapolitan shake from In & Out, definitely the way to go.

Yup, its funny how the small things can help you make up your mind.

Apr 14, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

um at least you don't have people giving each other golden-showers like in London. A group of co-workers and I decided to go watch a movie after a bite to eat and we were walking past the back part of the Astoria, and there was a woman pissing in a guys face. My co-workers are quite rowdy and they where screaming "OMG" and that couple just carried on doing what they were doing.

Apr 14, 06 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

yeah, you gotta love london too, it's full of crazee people. loads of em. never seen so many crazy people like here.
the shoeless beggar in leicester square tube station?
the preacher on oxford circus?

Apr 14, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

stock lumber in mar vista was serving free all you can eat in n out cheeseburgers the other day...they had Trex and other companies dealing with decking material showcasing their stuff...the event was called Deck Daze and it happens annually

Apr 14, 06 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
polyhedraldesign

yeah my fav has to be the sinner not winner guy

Apr 14, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
flyoverstate

hey MArch06, just for the record there are In-N-Out's in the Bay Area too... granted the closest one to Berkeley is in Pinole (about 20 minutes North of Berks), but that's what friends with cars are for!

Apr 14, 06 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
huh

here's my LA story... i'm at autozone, swapping out my car battery, and this loud, excitable hispanic guy stops and asks me what the problem is. after giving him the lowdown he grabs some tools and starts helping me out. cool. well, it turns out that his car has no brakes, the store is closing, and he needs to wait for his ride. so i offer to let him wait at my place since it's a block away and he just helped me out. we have a few beers, talk shop (he installs windows) and finally his ride shows up after a couple of hours. as he's leaving he thanks me for my generosity and gives me one of those secret handshakes used during drug deals. i look at this small black baggy in my hand and ask what he just gave me.

crystal meth. his parting words were, "smoke it, don't snort it".

Apr 14, 06 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

lock your doors from now on...you got electronics in there...be careful

Apr 14, 06 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

kusteroo-
quite aware of the in-n-out locations, that has not gone overlooked. and i will have a car. ;)

huh-
that beats a cracked out hooker giving a 65 yr old in suspenders a bj any day of the week.

Apr 14, 06 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

1-800-786-1000

In-N-Out phone number...they will give you the nearest store location

in my cel phone

Apr 14, 06 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

you guys are killing me, i keep thinking i can smell the sweet aroma of onions cooking in hamburger fat.

Apr 14, 06 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
sssimon

there is autombilic sexy time on traction ave outside sciarc ALL THE TIME man. stumbling home from all nighter daze early morning is way more surreal with the addition of public sex.

the difficulty is in the length of the stare required for verification of those movements which you suspect may be dirty ones. that same gaze required, liable get you stabbed.

check it out

Apr 15, 06 2:59 am  · 
 · 
grid

LA = fun

Apr 15, 06 6:38 am  · 
 · 
boooyaka

my LA story...

just moved to Venice and got a share off craigslist with some retarded girl. On night I am laying in bed reading and someone starts kicking the apartment door. My roommate goes and looks out the peeo hole... the kicking persists... it is in my nature not to give a crap so I continued reading... until my roommate started screaming her head off and yelling I am going to call the police... turns out the guy below us (with a few mental problems) was trying to kick down out door and was holding a butcher knife... good times good times. LAPD arrives and the whole building is out in the courtyard saying what the fuck is going on... through the sliding door we can see the guy sitting in a recliner holding a butchers knife and watching tv... which by the way was turned off.

I LOVE LA! Especially Venice!

Apr 18, 06 11:09 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

stereotypical but the lady in front of me in traffic the other day was reading a script while driving.

Apr 18, 06 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

don't get me started on LA drivers. im all for diversity, but when all these cultures come here, having learned to drive in other countries, it makes for an absolute mess!

Apr 18, 06 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

or filling for taxes while driving

Apr 18, 06 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

mdler
i had 7 in-n-out cheese burgers in 4 days while out west.....they need to open up shop in NYC

this has nothing to do with LA.........

Apr 18, 06 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

wow. doin 65 on the 405 while doing your 1040.

Apr 18, 06 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

65? is that at like 3am? ;)

Apr 18, 06 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

What I love are the people who think it's perfectly acceptable to make left turns into a full lane, and so end up hanging out in the intersection after the light is red, making sure that NOBODY can move until they've made their left turn.

That and people who make right turns directly in front of you, when you are going full speed and you're barely able to miss hitting them.

Oh, and the people who decide that there's no need to wait their turn in the proper lane, but that THEY deserve to zoom up to the front of the lane, stop, pop on their turn signal, and demand that somebody let them in, honking and swearing if you don't, all the while holding up traffic behind them.

Yeah, don't get me started on driving here...

Apr 18, 06 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
job job

there's this guy here in London who I see every once in a while, late at night. Dresses up like keith richards from the 'start me up' video, and plays a guitar just like him, gestures and everything - clerkenwell and Grey's inn road.

guitar's got no strings

he's my hero

don't get me started on driving here - especially those idjits trained in forin countries

Apr 18, 06 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

i love driving in LA... mostly becuase I love honking my horn and running red lights. Here in the midwest it is definitely not acceptable for four cars to run the red light... however n LA people honk if you don't! LOVE IT

Apr 18, 06 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
friendofafriend

the guy at the parking meter with the paper clip...

you pull up, he sticks the paper clip in the meter, jiggels it around, puts an hour on the meter, you give him some change

Apr 22, 06 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

I'm having big problems with Los Angeles today. Big problems. The Armenian gangs have been driving around my neighborhood, going in circles around the block. They are going really fast and are slamming their brakes and hinking their horns. The cars are full of men hanging out the windows with Armenian flags waving. I don't know what they intend to do, but I know it isn't safe to go outside today. I'm freaked out yes I am, and I don't know why the police haven't put a stop to this gang activity.

Apr 22, 06 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

haruki

it could be because it is Armenian day today????

Apr 24, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

and live in glendale...

Apr 24, 06 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

armenian day.......yummmmm.....zankou chicken.....

Apr 24, 06 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

el jeffe

you know about the Zankou family drama??

Apr 24, 06 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

el jeffe

you know about the Zankou family drama??

Apr 24, 06 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i wish the police would put a stop to the gangs of green tea mochi eating japaneese girls in little tokyo

Apr 24, 06 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

mdler - no i don't - fill me (us) in!

Apr 24, 06 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

heck no mdler.....I say bring on those green tea, mochii eating japanese girls from little tokyo ON!! They are so fricken cute!

Apr 24, 06 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
http://forum.armenianclub.com/showthread.php?t=3

they say gun...i think the weapon was a gyro sword

Apr 24, 06 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

hung-over, stuck in traffic behind a taco truck

Apr 24, 06 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

you never have your thomas guide with you whenever you get lost. ever notice that?

Apr 24, 06 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

if you had your Thomas Guide with you, wouldn't not be lost?

Apr 24, 06 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

who knew a skeezy hooker would cause so much commotion?

Apr 24, 06 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i did, from experience

Apr 24, 06 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite
My old apartment

A friend saw this on the news and emailed the link to me. So yeah, I'm really glad I left LA.

May 5, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
That's Chicago

Crime is a fact of life in urban America... If it freaks you out, you should leave. However, you're more likely to die in the suburbs in a car accident than you are to be shot in the worst neighborhood!

May 6, 06 11:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: