Archinect
anchor

Moving to HongKong

juliancalifornia

Hi there,
Currently living in Shangai at the moment, I'm considering moving to HongKong in the next few months. Would you recommend any offices ? Share your working experience there ? If you're living there, please mail me!
Cheers,
Julian

Apr 14, 06 4:58 am
AP

don't know if they have a website, but RAD, headed by Aaron Tan -formerly Rem's partner for OMA Asia - is located in HongKong.

had some friends from school work there, they loved it...one plans on returning in a few months, last I heard...

Apr 14, 06 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
casual

gary chang, bitch!

Apr 14, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe
Hong Kong Institute of Architects
Apr 14, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

i lived there for four years but i'm not an architect. I had a great experience there. have fun!

Apr 15, 06 2:45 am  · 
 · 

RAD has some good work, but is very stressfull. It is a bit understaffed and the office is very very cramped. Alot of people only stay for a few months because of this. Recently someone came to work there from Europe and left after only 2 weeks. I never worked there, but 2 friends of mine have and I hang out with them and the other RAD kids whenever I am in Hong Kong, and thats what I've heard from them. Also (although english is all you need) in Hong Kong they speak cantonese... so if your trying to learn mandarin thats a negative. Plus the sound of it can be agravating by itself haha... theres a reason the mandarin speakers on the mainland side call it Niao Yu, which is bird language. Hong Kong rocks though so youll have a blast if you go. I live on the Shenzhen side and I go to Hong Kong fairly often, so if you have more questions feel free.

Apr 15, 06 4:10 am  · 
 · 
juliancalifornia

does rad office has a website ?
Can't find it...

Apr 15, 06 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

I don't know if they have a website, but this is Ulrich Kirchof's email address: [email protected] he is an associate at RAD, so I am sure he can give you more information / a website address if they have one.

Apr 16, 06 1:16 am  · 
 · 
cs

Are U speak cantonese or Mandarin?

Apr 16, 06 11:49 am  · 
 · 
timeless

I was there last summer and visited a few firms. Gary Chang's firm was pretty nuts more of a night club then an office. Check out ARK, William Liu is the principal. It seemed like a decent smaller firm. URBANUS is in Shenzhen but is definetly worth checking out if it is posible for you to work in Shenzhen.

Apr 16, 06 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: