Archinect
anchor

calling all Rice graduate school students...

Hi, I just got accepted to and plan on attending Rice this Fall, but I currently live in China and will not be re-entering the States' atmosphere until August. So I was wondering if any past, present, and future Rice students could offer any info or advice on Houston and/or the school. I also will be looking for a place to live next Fall preferably walkably close to campus, so if any are attending or will be and are also looking for a roomate that would rock.

Apr 14, 06 1:36 am
WonderK

bump

Come on, let's help him out, people. We ruined his other thread. Funny though.

I'm sorry I don't know anything about Rice or Houston. I hear it's a good program though.

Apr 14, 06 9:20 am  · 
 · 
AP
Craigslist.org / Houston

never a bad place to start when looking for housing.

Apr 14, 06 9:58 am  · 
 · 
AP

since you're my homey, sellegr, the first one's free:

Room for Rent walking distanc to Rice...

Apr 14, 06 9:59 am  · 
 · 
AP

*distance

can you access craigslist from behind the Great Fire Wall?

Apr 14, 06 10:00 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

University/Museum area for living near Rice...fairly pricey...bad parking situations...you most likely will want a car, but mass transportation is getting much better in houston. The area is very nice though and there is lots of great art/architecture in the direct vacinity.

I am not a Rice student...I did study at U of H for two years though.

Apr 14, 06 10:02 am  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

The easiest thing to do is the grad apartments for something cheap, close and furnished. It is within walking distance of the school and the museums. There is a lot of other nice cheap housing that is doable, but harder to set up without visiting. Look at Rice's website regarding grad housing. It is kind of nice to have set up before you get here making the move much easier. I would recommend a car for everyday use. It will be very hot and humid with lots of mosquitoes when you come here.

What option are you?

Apr 14, 06 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
AP

our friend sellegr hails from the oh so hot and humid University of Florida, located in Gainesville, inventors of swamp-ass. And, as I recall, homeboy didn't even have a bicycle, let alone a car...

Apr 14, 06 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

Ok thanks for the help everyone. I checked out that Craigslist one AP, seems a bit too far for my choice of transportation. I think I will be looking into the grad apartments the school has, checking out the website now, seems to be ideal for my situation. I am option 2 and yes as AP mentioned I am totally used to hot humid having gone to school at UF. Of course Shenzhen, which is where I live now, makes Gainesville seem pleasant in comparison, so I figure Houston will actually be an improvement from south China.

Apr 14, 06 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

Well, looks like the weather won't be an issue. I went to school at ASU so I was use to the heat, but the humidity sucks. Yeah, the grad housing is a very decent option as I live there now. If you have any other questions, just ask. I will be in Paris for the fall semester so I won't back in Houston until January. A car isn't necessary, a bike would be nice, but in a city of sprawl a car is handy. My classmates get by without it though.

Apr 15, 06 1:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: