Archinect
anchor

DUMBO, Brooklyn

Axelle

bonjour-
I am a recent graduate of architecture [domus] looking to move into DUMBO, Brooklyn, where I have received an offer. Perhaps someone may have experience with architecture firms this area or simply the general atmosphere?
thank you.

Apr 12, 06 8:51 pm
Auguste Perret

DUMBO is basically the Brooklyn version of Chelsea. A lot of young professionals - artists, graphic designers and the like - have been moving to DUMBO for some time now. Gentrification is starting to show; high-rises and renovations are all over the place and the cost of living has increased dramatically. One of the reasons (among many) is that it's one stop from lower Manhattan.

Apr 12, 06 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Hmmm, I lived there about eight years ago. From what I hear it's changed considerably, for example, I don't think there were any architecture offices there back then. But I was recently in Williamsburg (close by) and it seemed quite nice actually. Seemed like it was full of young trendy folks and lots of them. I'm sure Dumbo has followed a similar path, my favorite thing about being there actually was going over to Brooklyn Heights or going for a stroll over to Manhattan on the Brooklyn bridge.

Apr 12, 06 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I paid $300 for a share in a huge loft, probably no longer possible huh?

Apr 12, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

$300?!?! Wow! My friend pays $900 with two other people for a loft, maybe 1600 sq ft.

Apr 12, 06 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
liznieve

dumbo, aesthetically, is wonderful. old factories, still gritty, not mallified. although i supposed definitely commercialized. the streets are all belgian block, the old tracks of the street cars are still embedded in the sidewalks. although there is certainly the yuppie presence with expensive design shops, cafes, etc etc

it feels sufficiently industrial to be interesting, but is finished enough to be comfortable.

but on an architect's salary (unless you are realllly being paid well) it would be near impossible to live there. lofts are running close to $2k/mo. for a space that is suitablereally onlyfor one person.

i would look in some closer neighborhoods like cobble hill (charming, still some affordable rents to be found) or park slope. they're about 5 minutes away on the train.

good luck in brooklyn-

Apr 12, 06 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

dammit i hate how once the people that can make a place cool, make a place cool, it is co-opted by people who can only buy into cool, and then the cool people can't afford to live there.

sorry, loose lipped rant.

Apr 12, 06 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Yikes, so it has changed quite a bit then. The only thing that was on my street back then was a Korean mechanic and a failed Bar/ Laundra-mat. $900 is still pretty damn good these days.

I thought $300 was a lot back then, I think I lived on bagels and peanut butter. I'd love to have a $300 place like that now.

Wait, actually i wouldn't. Our freight elevator was a wooden crate on a winch on which someone had scrawled, "Visualize a real freight elevator." The dumpster was also at the bottom of the open shaft so by the end of the collection cycle things the building would get pretty ripe. And the walls between units were very thin and the couple next door was very, *ahem*, passionate. But movies on the roof in the summer were pretty cool.

So that's why the cool people (me? really?) could afford to live there, If I paid $900 I'd want at least a closed elevator shaft.

Apr 13, 06 12:29 am  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

Not sure about Cobble Hill in terms of prices, but I think it's nicer than DUMBO. Park Slope is more affordable and is a little trendy, as liznieve points out. Actually, a lot more restaurants and little boutiques in Park Slope than DUMBO.
NB: there is an elevator in my friends building, but they can't use it for some reason, so they walk up three flights. And their interior "walls" are a mixture of different things: two "bedrooms" are seperated by 6,000 or so magazines stacked with little openings and one bedroom is closed-off from the living space by laminated cardboard designed as a screen. They seem to get along with each other and enjoy the location. If you are living and working there it could be real cool, at least you'll save on the commute.

Apr 13, 06 12:53 am  · 
 · 
standaman

So how much should I expect to pay for a small studio apartment in Park Slope nowadays?

Apr 13, 06 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

Maybe $800-$1100.

Apr 13, 06 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

yeah right...if you're luck. i'd say you'd be looking somewhere in the vicinity of 1000-1400...don't even think about DUMBO these days unless you've got a trust fund or have lived there for 10 years....
even my little place in Cobble Hill is looking like a better and better deal each year. if you're looking for anything that you can afford on a recent architecture grad's salary...you're probably talking about bed-stuy, south slope, or bushwick.
good luck.

Apr 13, 06 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

and the $1000-1400 price in park slope will probably be aroom with enough room for a bed, the kitchen and a box for the rest of your stuff. park slope is crazy expensive these days..unless you head down closer to the gowanus or south slope.

Apr 13, 06 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

You don't think you can find a studio in Park Slope for under $1000? I'm not sure if I agree, but Bed-stuy is an alternative.

Apr 13, 06 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
standaman

Although I've got a couple years of school ahead of me, I can't help but be interested in living altrenatives to Manhattan, assuming I'll find work in the city. Park Slope seems like a nice neighborhood. I wonder how convenient the F train is in terms of commuting. Doesn't seem like it would take any longer than 15 minutes from the 7th Ave stop to the island.

Apr 13, 06 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

having lived in the slope and elsewhere in the greater nyc area, here's my two cents...

The Slope is awesome. And awesome-ly expensive. My wife and I had a ground floor walk-thru garden apt. with one bedroom and a tiny kitchen for which we paid $1900 I believe. That was A) and incredible deal, and B) 5 years ago.

I'd agree with futureboy on the cost of a studio running easily above $1100 or so.

Cobble Hill is super dope, but as mentioned, also getting expensive. You know, Clinton Hill on the other hand, might have a couple of options. Near abouts to Pratt, there would at least be more opportunities for sharing a space maybe with a Pratt grad. student.

Dumbo + Greenpoint = Unfortunately Completely Yuppified.

Bed-Stuy still has street cred.

Don't forget about Queen's. Jackson Square? Jackson Street?

Astoria is overrated IMHO. And far from the island.

Hoboken's an option if you're into the post-college frat-boy thing.

And Standaman...when I lived in the Slope I used to call the 'F' train the 'IF' train, as in, I wonder IF it will arrive tonight.

My stop was 7th street, and 15 min. is a very optimistic trip from the Slope.

Apr 13, 06 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

Alright, not to sound too much like a downer...I did love the area. NYC, no matter how you slice it, is an amazing city to live and work. Just be realistic about what the cost of living is, and also what you get for your money.

400sf studio = $$$$$

Apr 13, 06 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
standaman

great info mightylittle. I guess I failed to consider the time for the train to arrive. "IF Train" haha, that's classic. I guess there are plenty of other options to look at. Your tips will prove helpful in planning this out. thanks again.

Apr 13, 06 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
standaman

BTW, sorry to hijack your thread Axelle.

Apr 13, 06 10:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: