Archinect
anchor

Visiting Cincinnati

Living in Gin

Greetings, all...

I'm taking a weekend trip down to Cincy soon to meet a friend, and I was wondering if anybody would be willing to meet up and possibly give me the nickel tour of DAAP? UC is at the top of my list of M.Arch. programs to apply to next year, so I'd love to check it out and get the lowdown from an insider. (I grew up in Cincinnati and have been inside DAAP before, but it's been a very long time.)

I'll be arriving late in the evening on Friday the 21st, and leaving sometime in the afternoon of Sunday the 23rd.

What say you?

Apr 11, 06 2:01 pm
Living in Gin

*bump*

Anybody?

Bueller? Bueller?

Apr 12, 06 7:56 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Woo hoo! I love it when new archinectors come to town. I should've been a professional tour guide. Screw this architecture crap.

I'll be around. The rest of the Justice League would probably show up as well.

Where did you go to undergrad, LIG? And where are you coming from? Weren't you in Chicago?

Apr 12, 06 8:31 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm still in Chicago while I finish my BA at DePaul University's evening adult education program. (I work full-time during the day at a highly-dysfunctional architecture/interior design firm.)

Back in former lives, I began my architectural education at UIC while interning at Perkins + Will, and also took some classes at Drexel University in Philly.

Apr 12, 06 9:04 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

LIG, you sound busy. We'll have a lot to talk about re: dysfunctional architecture/interior design firms. Let me know what day you want your tour of DAAP.....if you also want to swing through the CAC while you're in town, I have a double membership so it's free. I love being the Welcome Wagon.....

Apr 12, 06 11:42 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

...and I can vouch that WonderK is the most, most wonderFUL of welcome wagons.

Apr 12, 06 11:47 am  · 
 · 

she (and superbeatledud and superheavy) kept me out too late and i was all bleary-eyed at the conference i had to attend the next day. ...and that's a good thing.

Apr 12, 06 11:51 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow, I've got people giving testimonials on my behalf now, LOL. Hey, I'm friendly. What can I say. :o)

Apr 12, 06 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

WonderK

werent you a DAAP tour guide??

and best friends with Daniel Friedman?

Apr 12, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'll be fairly pressed for time, so I think I'll stick to the DAAP tour. How does sometime Saturday morning sound?

(I'm actually driving down from Chicago to meet up with a close friend who currently lives in Kansas, but who will be in Cincy for a week-long conference. I'll be spending most of the weekend showing him around my old stomping grounds around Cincy and northern Kentucky, but I also want to check out the UC campus and DAAP while I'm there. I may have my friend with me at the time.)

Apr 12, 06 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Next up, "WonderK the Infomercial". With lots and lots of energetic enthusiastic testimonials. (Sort of a pre-cursor to the archinect film script that is yet to be completed.)

Apr 12, 06 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
A

I'm wishing my upcoming business trip to Ohio was to Cincy.

Apr 12, 06 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

a,
no you dont

Apr 12, 06 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
cmissle

I can't believe Daniel Friedman's name came running across this website. The world is getting too small for sure...

Apr 12, 06 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I was a DAAP tour guide, yes. For 4 years actually. So I'm kind of practiced at it, anyway. I always discover something new though. Like last time when I ventured into Wolfson and found the screenprinting rooms. Sweet.

And no, I was not best friends with Daniel Friedman. Abby still works for him though. She is one of my best friends. But it doesn't translate!!! Humph.

Apr 12, 06 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
A

well mdler, next week I'll first be in Cleveland and then to Columbus. Is that more exciting than Cincinnati?

Never been to Cincy, but I've always wanted a tour of the never finished subway. They still doing those?

Apr 13, 06 8:29 am  · 
 · 
mdler

WonderK
did you know that in the screenprinting rooms in Wolfson, there used to be a 360 degree projection screen system above the dropped ceiling??

Apr 13, 06 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Is the DAAP building open to the public on Saturdays? If so, how about meeting at the cafe inside DAAP at 11 AM?

Apr 13, 06 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

mdler are you lying? If not I will have to try and find this. What is the purpose of it sitting there, above the ceiling?

LIG, that sounds fine. I guess we could email each other about this, but if a bunch of people want to show up that's fine too.

A, they still do those subway tours every once in a while. Once they tried to charge $50 a piece for it. Yo, it's just an unfinished subway tunnel. No lights even. Wasn't even worth the $10 that I paid.

Apr 13, 06 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

If you want to see what the Cincinnati subway looks like, ride the Red Line 'T' in Cambridge, MA. It was designed by the same engineer and to the same specifications.

WonderK: I'll send you an e-mail to confirm plans later next week.

Apr 13, 06 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

*bump*

Well, I just got a call from my friend saying he won't be in Cincy this weekend after all. I still plan on going, but I suddenly find myself with a lot of free time down there and nothing to do.

How about an a Cincy Archinect meet-up sometime on Saturday?

Apr 20, 06 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I got back from Cincinnati a few hours ago, and I want to thank WonderK and SuperBeatledud for giving me the grand tour of DAAP and filling me on all the lowdown at UC. I got a crick in my neck from looking at Eisenman's building for too long, and I've been fighting a losing battle with a severe cold all weekend, but otherwise I had a great time.

Apr 23, 06 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm glad. I'm sorry I couldn't be more of a host. The good news is, however, I now have a big pile of crap in my new apartment that I get to sort through. Isn't moving grand? :o/

Apr 23, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

heh.... Don't remind me. I've got one roommate moving out and another moving in this week.

Apr 23, 06 11:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: