Archinect
anchor

talk20 / Philadelphia / Thurs Apr 13

generative_monkey
talk20

/ Philadelphia / Thurs Apr 13
For all you Philly-area archinectors, check out talk20 this Thursday. Second in a series of events organized and hosted by students at Penn.

First one was held at the Inst of Contemporary Art and was packed to the gills! This one promises to be better- check out the list of speakers at talk20

Apr 11, 06 2:01 am
liberty bell

God I miss Philly. In Indy today the AIA is sponsoring a talk by an architect and some marketer or someone talking about the new stadium. Woo.

God I miss Philly.

Apr 11, 06 9:01 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

I bet you miss First Fridays - LB

Thank you for the announcement, Maybe I'll go - Monkey

Apr 11, 06 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

lb, have u checked out club 403 in indy? i heard its okay...

Apr 11, 06 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

lb, have u checked out club 403 in indy? i heard its okay...

Apr 11, 06 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

LB did you hear Silk City closed? A Philadelphia staple dammit.

Apr 12, 06 12:58 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

What?!? I'm shocked. Is the building being torn down or something? And is the diner still open?!?!? I ate there a lot, especially remember the day after I had my wisdom teeth extracted, a lovely meal of mac-n-cheese and mashed potatoes, practically ate them through a straw. And dinner there before the Wilco concert. Man, things are changing.

I actually don't really miss First Friday cuz it was impossible to navigate the sidewalks but I definitely do miss the art scene in Philly: Space 1026, Spector, the Farbic Workshop of course the ICA....god.

Apr 12, 06 9:09 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

the buildings not being torn down but the owner sold it. the guy who bought it might still keep it as a diner but they arent sure yet and it probably wouldnt be called silk city. It was a sad, sad day.

Yeah first friday is overrated, allthough i really shouldnt complain since i set up a table there half the time.

Apr 12, 06 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

What do you display/sell quixotica?

First Fridays are overrated though? Most people I talk to have never been to it... I guess I like those galleries a little too much

But back to topic

Crap. I won't be in town for Talk 20. Sounds interesting.

Apr 12, 06 10:28 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

silk screened t-shirts, hoodies bags, a zine, and a photography book that my business partner and i put together. We are usually down on second street near aka music but we wont be there for the may show, look for us in june!

I guess maybe its not overrated, its just that growing up and going to school in philadelphia, especially a design school, all you ever hear about is first friday. I do agree that they put on some spectacular works and its great for the community, it just sometimes seems like a hipster right of passage.

Apr 12, 06 10:38 am  · 
 · 
archinaut

a small bird has told me that silk city was purchased by another noLibs restaurant owner (N3rd), the diner building will supposedly be saved, the bar will be demo-ed and replaced by something much more swank. the diner is supposed to be tricked out and made expensive (think continental old city).
despite these rumors, it was definately still open this past weekend despite there being an 01 april close date. hmmmm...
i wil miss the bread pudding sorely

Apr 12, 06 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
archinaut

ps. sorry for the thread hi-jack. my stomach and sentiments got the best of me.

Apr 12, 06 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: