Archinect
anchor

How soon is too soon? Post-grad employment applications

LITS4FormZ

With an up-coming career fair, a little early in my opinion, the studio discussion tonight centered around applying to post-grad jobs, assuming we all make it through thesis. Several classmates are taking the summer off to decompress from 6+ consecutive years of academia.

But for someone graduating the second week of May and hoping to take no time off, when is it "appropriate" to begin applying for post-graduate employment?

Feb 5, 12 5:03 am

most students here (i'm in tokyo) would be freaking out if they didn't have a job lined up a year before graduation.  for the rest of the world?  anytime is cool to start looking for a job

Feb 5, 12 5:16 am  · 
 · 

I spent my last spring break flying to new york and london for job interviews. Many of the offices I talked to were talking to many other future graduates doing the same thing. A professor of mine had advised me that all the good positions will likely be had by then. So if I were in your position, I would start sending out your things now. Not all offices will know (in these times) where they will be in just a few months from now, but stable offices that know how to do good business will. They're thinking as much about their future as you are yours. 

Feb 5, 12 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

don't take time off - others won't, and they will get the job - these aren't the times to be taking vacation -

Feb 5, 12 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Dani Zoe

As others are saying, apply now! At some firms, it will take them a month or two to sort through all the applications they receive when they have a job they want to fill, then they schedule interviews, negotiate pay, and then you get hired. It can be a long process so start early!

Feb 5, 12 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

okay so since i'm wondering the same thing... maybe a better question would be "how late is too late if i want a job right after i graduate?"... you know, provided there were jobs i could have.  is march bad?

Feb 5, 12 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

if you wait until march, then you miss out on all the jobs in february.  if you wait until april, you will miss out on all the jobs available in february and march.  since you waited until february, you missed out on all the jobs available in january

I'd line a job up early, with the understanding that you are graduating a few months down the line, if possible, so really the sooner you start, the better.  Plus, you get your name in at places sooner, so even if they have nothing now, they will know you for later if and when they have work available.

Plus, you can get some experience on interviews

Unless you have a reason to wait, I would start now.

I also agree with the time off comments.  Dont take any now, there is no reason to.  Unless you can work your start date to be after your vacation, that would be a stupid reason to delay any of this

Feb 6, 12 8:38 am  · 
 · 

plus why wait? you will want to worry about your university work in april and may. ive always had the feeling that students and recent graduates feel as though they have to be available to start a position right away with an office. Dont worry... the real world doesnt always work like that. some of these things take time and some firms will be slow at responding back and lining up interviews. By starting now, you are ensuring to have a place come graduation time. 

Remember... its you vs everyone. 

Feb 6, 12 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Thank you all for your advice and I have added your insights to the on-going studio discussion. I tend to agree that taking time off right after graduation is a terrible idea in such a competitive market unless you have a flexible employer with a position waiting. 

Feb 7, 12 9:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: