Archinect
anchor

tool

upside

i hate waiting for things, i think im going to put myself in a self induced coma until the new tool album comes out.

any idea how i can knock myself out to the end of the month? without lasting damage?

Apr 9, 06 10:22 pm
Hasselhoff

I preordered it so that I will come right to me. WEEHEE

Apr 9, 06 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

wait a minute....there's a new tool record coming out?

Apr 10, 06 1:09 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

may 2

Apr 10, 06 1:16 am  · 
 · 
khmay

until then, get the latest 'the number twelve looks like you'

Apr 10, 06 2:13 am  · 
 · 
upside

first single 'vicarius' is due out on the 17th apparently

Apr 10, 06 2:26 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

So the new Tool album is out. Anyone else massively dissappointed? The packaging is cool, with the 3D effect, but their graphics remind me of some hippy's dorm room. The stupid rainbow colored eyes and stuff. The songs all sound like a bunch of 11 minute intros and never start kicking ass like on the old albums. It's not that I don't like subtlety, these new tracks just don't have it like on the older albums. I found myself fast forwarding and skipping with hopes that it was gonna start rocking again. I didn't even finish listening to it. Vicarious is a cool track, but the rest of the album is boring. It sounds like Coldplay trying to be Tool or something.

May 5, 06 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

I have had it for since april 15th [when it leaked] and I really like it.

May 5, 06 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
nicomachean

what do you think of Lateralus, Hasselhoff?

or the version of Pushit on Salival?

the slow parts of Third Eye?

May 5, 06 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I love everything else that they've done. A lot. I was so excited for the new album and I was just totally disappointed when I finally got to listen to the whole thing. I'll definately give it another go around, but yeah. It's just boring.

May 5, 06 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
nicomachean

haven't heard it yet but will buy it this week. i'm curious about the progression from Lateralus, lyrics and musical complexity.

May 6, 06 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

ditto ~ I'm abolutely salivating for the new tool... reminds me of my u-grad days and all-nighters and pudding thick coffee in the studio and lateralus and toxicity wonderfully crafted albums...

I hope I'm not dissapointed... H U G E shoes to fill after Lateralus... if it sucks I'll be royally pissed!

May 6, 06 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Maybe it's just me. Seems like most people are pumped about it. I just think the riffs are weaker and derivative of Tool, as though they can't think of anything else. And I don't think the lyrics are not very good/well crafted. Like on Vicarious when he says "I need to watch things die, from a good safe distance." I understand the point of the song, but the lyrics are kind of bumbling compared to Maynard's usual skill. And that song "The Pot," man is that lame "stick your head in your ass"? "You musta been HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH!"?

May 6, 06 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

I am totally pumped 'bout it but just aprehensive at the idea of a Lateralus follow-up. That album remains one of my all time favorites and I'm just expecting a lot from this new piece...

FWIW: Meats Meier is the guy that did the 3d art for the new album... dunno yet if it's as good as the last... although not quite as "archinectie" as a mogwai chipboard cover

May 6, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
nicomachean

bought it Saturday, have listened straight through 4 times since - made my weekend.

i loved Lateralus although i thought it was notably different than previous albums. 10,000 Days seems to somewhat bridge the gap musically - heavier, harder, more raw, terrestrial lyrics.

Tool is known for oddball, uncomfortable lyrical segments (Opiate, Die Eier Von Satan, L.A.M.C., Faaip de Oiad, etc...) interspersed among much more emotional, deadly profound poetics. i think both of these aspects are amplified in this album. "Wings pt. 2" & "Right in Two" give me chills.

the vocals are treated just like any other instrument, not always pushed to the front, so you'll pick up more lyrics with each listen.

in my opinion, incredible music and spiritual lyrics. wish i had time to have a look at their libraries.

May 8, 06 12:09 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I tried listening to it several times this weekend. Man, I can't do it. The more I listen to it, the less I like it. It's totally bumming me out haha. I love their other stuff so much and this just makes me want to throw it in the trash. I don't even know how to explain it. The riffs are all recycled (literally you can hear entire riffs ripped off from Lateralus) and watered down. It sounds like they are trying too hard to be all intense or something. The other albums were so natural. 10000 days sounds very forced to me. I still hold that I think it is by far, their weakest work. It just seems to me to be a bunch of 11 minute, repetative fills. Maybe that's the angle they were going for, I dunno. I don't get the cool moods that were on the other albums.

I know bands change between albums and it was expected for this. I thought Aenema was vastly different than Undertow. And of course Lateralus was very different (although not that different from Aenema).

Contrary to you Nico, I think the music is bland and uninspiring and the lyrics are silly, cheesy, high school angst, which sucks because I think their other music is orgasmic and the lyrics haunting and/or kickass.

SO I guess this is my last post on the subject. Easily the biggest disappointment I've ever had when purchasing a new album. More disappointing than "World Coming Down" by Type O. Even the case, while cool in some respect, seems hokey as though 311 would use those graphics for a zing factor. I've seen stereoscopic photos 1000 times in the geology lab. They've been doing it for decades.

May 8, 06 1:17 am  · 
 · 
m

went to vegas to see them on friday night. they tore it up. well worth the 300 bucks I spent on the ticket.

May 8, 06 1:48 am  · 
 · 
upside

kinda agree hoff, it never really kicks in, the song lateralus did it perfectly, the end was always worth the build up, this time it never really kicks into gear.

the lyrics thing is why nin piss me off too, reznor allways had a bit of the high school angst but 'with teeth' is so dam childish, like nickelback with synthesisers.

May 8, 06 2:15 am  · 
 · 
nicomachean

Hasselhoff you mystify me...i would normally just chalk it up to us having different tastes....or different hangups...but when someone knocks something so clearly excellent (while praising everything done by the artist previous to it)...something smells...are you sure you bought the actual album, and didn't just download fake mp3s?

May 8, 06 2:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: