Archinect
anchor

who is filing your tax?

jlxarchitect

Are u guys going to do by yourself or use a professional? For me, I own a house, kid and car, do you think I need to goto the Professional company for better tax return?

Apr 7, 06 2:14 pm
A Center for Ants?

turbotax baby.

Apr 7, 06 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

i second turbotax, but i've heard taxcut is cheaper actually...

Apr 7, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Anybody else do the free thing online? I'm eligible and I didn't actually move last year so I was going to try it.....

Apr 7, 06 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

my dad does it. he's an accountant.

Apr 7, 06 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Accountant. Own a business, moved across country for a job, bought a house, sold a house, bought and sold stock, got public grant funding money for art installation (husband), have freelance income, have a kid, lease a car, bought a car, bought computers for my business, employed as an employee in one state for part of the year, employed as contract worker across state lines for another job, bought fabric and furniture for a client, husband employed on three separate states by three separate entities, etc. We're complex. It's worth it to me to hand it to someone who knows what they're doing and say "Figure out how I can pay you a little instead of the government a lot."

My accountant in Philly was awesome! and only charged about $250 to do out taxes (much simpler than this year). One year he saved us over $1,500, so it's worth it. Plus I have these memories as a kid of my parents spreading tax stuff across the dining room table and screaming at one another for a weekend in April. The lack of stress is worth the cost of an accountant, to me.

Apr 7, 06 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

turbo tax. took me an hour, thats with having all my writeoffs and everything ready and organized.
you mail it in online when your done. pretty easy.

Apr 7, 06 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

i second lb's response...once your financial situation hits a certain complexity level (i.e. running your own business on the side or being in a position to make sizable deductions) it becomes worth it to pay a little in order to get a lot more in return. unless your spouse has tax accounting training that is... ;)

Apr 7, 06 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
e

i'm with lb too. own a home and run a business out of it too. the first year i used my accountant , he asked to see my previous year's tax forms that i did though turbo tax. he found an additional $1200 to write off. getting an accountant was the best thing i could of done.

Apr 7, 06 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yup, me too. Own a loft and run a business, it's just not worth risking a penny to unknowns. My accountant is great. Has a 15 person firm, and yet replies to all my phone calls with naive questions, etc.

I thought I was going to owe several thousand this year (I try to pay quarterly, or at least twice a year) - I am getting $2300 back!!

Easily worth the $260 I paid him.

Apr 7, 06 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

that said, if you're single with no dependents, renting, little to no investments or other complicated income/deduction elements, it's 1040EZ all the way!

Apr 7, 06 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

MY PARENT'S ACCOUNTANT

Apr 7, 06 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

Thanks for responding, guys.

Normally, if you want to have an account, where you will find one willing to do a small tax job? With my knowledge and salary going up every year, I am worried I might lost some refunds which I didn't know.

Is there any tax cut specifically for architects? I know there is a one for architecture firm.

Apr 7, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

My accountant makes magic happen. :-)

Apr 7, 06 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
etimm

ended up taking standard deduction even though I have a mortgage. so much for that supposed benefit of home ownership!

Apr 7, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

mixture of ms money and my investment account reports.
i do it all myself.
i get to see where my money goes that way.

Apr 7, 06 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i already got my return back months ago. bought some whiskey and a copy of mayakovsky's "talkin to the taxman about cheerleaders"

Apr 7, 06 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
AP

the one in Hazelhoofen's schoolblog is still my favorite.

Apr 7, 06 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
AP

oh....I used turbotax, but my return was pretty straightforward...

Apr 7, 06 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

#1. It's Hasselhoff
#2. Mine were so easy I just counted on my fingers.

Apr 7, 06 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
NSJ

Been using Turbotax for the past few years. Married, child, home business (wife), etc... It's really easy and seems to come out pretty decently for us though maybe we should take lb's advice and use an accountant who may do even better. Wouldn't even consider doing it manually ourselves.

Apr 8, 06 1:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: