Archinect
anchor

Rasterized image to Illustrator vector

StudioWookie

I have an image (site plan) of black filled squares (building footprints) on a white background in jpeg format in Photoshop. Is there an easy way to exact paths, to be used in Illustrator, from the image in photoshop without having to trace all the squares? Can it be done in Illustrator, without tracing? I am creating a 3d site model...

Or even that, can I dispace the image in 3dMAX, but looking crisp, not subdivided?

Apr 6, 06 11:31 pm
Stewart Hicks

which version of illustrator are you using?

Apr 6, 06 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

illustrator CS...

Apr 6, 06 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

read the illustrator help for "livetrace"

Apr 6, 06 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

there's a tool which creates a closed path based on click on a color. it's like the magic wand tool which instead of selecting similar areas of color creates a solid path

Apr 7, 06 1:36 am  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

Ants?...in photoshop or illustrator? which is the tool named?

Apr 7, 06 1:49 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

called "autotrace" in illustrator. it's to the right of th eyedropper tool, above scissors, and below gradient., be warned, it gives a rounded shape and isn't really suited if you want crisp rectangular objects.

Apr 7, 06 9:22 am  · 
 · 

i beleive you can adjust the tolerance on the autotrace command the same way that you adjust the tolerance on the magic wand in photoshop.

Apr 7, 06 9:28 am  · 
 · 

once you rasterbate the image, it will not give you the choice of saving it as an illustrator file. type in the name ______.ai and save it. If you do this you wont have to go through the hassle of transferring it.

Apr 7, 06 9:28 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

or, in photoshop you can boost the tolerance, select color range, choose the color range you want, make the selection a path, export paths to illustrator and cleanup.

Apr 7, 06 10:04 am  · 
 · 
khmay

get on a machine with CS2 and use livetrace

Apr 7, 06 10:37 am  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

You can save selections in photoshop and save paths to illustrators...thanks fellas

Apr 17, 06 3:08 am  · 
 · 
frozenmusic

There is a program called Adobe Streamline that specializes in tracing 2d images and vectorizing them with a variety of options and it can, of course, export to illustrator & CAD.

Apr 17, 06 7:13 am  · 
 · 
trace™

livetrace, autotrace, cool

Apr 17, 06 8:09 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Supertrace?

Apr 17, 06 11:37 am  · 
 · 
biggz

You could import a jpeg into Flash, and use the Modify>Trace Bitmap command, set the tolerances, and then export as .ai file or .dxf

Apr 17, 06 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

ah yes - I forgot that livetrace used to be called autotrace. apologies

couple things - streamline's functionality has been included (and improved on) in illustrator since v10.

streamline, autotrace and livetrace are actually very powerful tools capable of very exacting results, but the controls aren't very intuitive and can take some time to learn fully. I've seen alot of people get frustrated and give up.

Apr 17, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: