Archinect
anchor

OSX BOOT CAMP

JohnProlly

be like BAM

Apr 5, 06 10:18 am
JohnProlly

I think this is great. I'ma prolly get a G5 this summer now!

Apr 5, 06 10:39 am  · 
 · 

Hot damn!

Apr 5, 06 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Cameron
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4880022.stm

yup. I'm happy. Was about to go over to the dark side but this will keep me using the mac for a couple more years...

Apr 5, 06 10:52 am  · 
 · 
freebornman

hot damn! a legal way to run autocad on my mac. its about damn time.

Apr 5, 06 10:56 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

a cracked form z on my mac is more like it. and 3ds - time to get catia!

Apr 5, 06 11:10 am  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

oh shit.... that's nice... real nice....
I was about to cop a PC for school in sept... maybe i'll be purchasing one O' them MacBookPro's or whatever's newest now....

Apr 5, 06 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
jualn

very exciting... but only works with the intel-based macs (not G5's, etc.) so don't go running out to buy a current power-pc based mac hoping to dual boot...

Apr 5, 06 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
mimo

Whens the next release of the intel macs, anyone know? Anyone experience any gliches with the first round of intel macs?

Apr 5, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

No, but Apple must be happy with that hacker that figured it out a month ago (there was a reward out for the first person that could get xp to boot on the new macs). This will certainly increase their sales by at least 5-10% if not more if they can get the word out. The problem though is they won't offer support, so it won't be an official selling point that their sales reps will make (although I'm sure they'll still use it as leverage to convince people to buy who may be leaning towards the PC).

Ultimately, this is HUGE because it offers a true competition to windows XP which it has lacked for the last 15+ years (sorry Linux and Unix usuers). It will ultimately lead to third party computer manufactuers using MAC OS, once the first OSX gets booted on a PC. We're looking at a compelling change in consumer technology people.

Apr 5, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

i'm not so sure about your second paragraph SB...only because apple's still primarily in the hardware business and making OSX bootable on a PC will obviate the need for anyone to pay the price premium for apple's hardware. i think it's going to be a one-way street (XP on mac vice OSX on PC) for quite some time to come...at least until apple can figure out how to make it financially advantageous.

Apr 5, 06 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I really need to stop predicting what apple will do...

looks like they had this up their sleave for a while....funny how it gets released shortly after a programmer wins $12,000 for figuring it out without apples help. they probably felt that releaseing an easier way was better for them then trying to provide support to all the people who messed up their computers by screwing up the hack.

while I don't doubt that someone will figure out how to hack OSX onto a regular PC, apple's dual-boot scenario will probably remain easier and involve less hassle. That's the appeal of this.

Apr 5, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

gotta love this quote from apple...

EFI and BIOS
Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.

Apr 5, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Jrocc

I'll be happier when someone gets Mac os to run on an intel PC and you can make a system that outpreforms an apple for half the price.

I don't thnk either will turn the OS "war" as I imagine you'll still need a copy of windowss to boot up. And no software makes have stated plans to support different OS's ie autodesk. Now if Mac OS could run windows apps natively that would be a whole new ball game.

Apr 5, 06 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
myriam
making OSX bootable on a PC will obviate the need for anyone to pay the price premium for apple's hardware.

I disagree--apple's strongest selling point (outside of cult users) is its hardware quality and design, not the operating system, which is solid but suffering from design inattention lately. Letting people boot OSX on their PC will not be a deterrant to those thinking of switching over, because no one switches over for the software (even though they SHOULD... but in reality it doesn't work that way. Some dude that has used windows all his life is going to see software as a barrier, not an incentive, to switch over. He will switch because he's tired of shitty, poorly designed computers that frequently fail due to outsourced innards that aren't quality controlled, etc.). My feeling, at least.

Apr 5, 06 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

"outperforms an apple for half the price" -- yeah Jrocc, that's the gyst of my comment above...i think that's what the entire customer base wants, but probably the last thing apple wants to enable! and i agree, it'd be great to run windows apps natively in osx, but i'm not sure that slick billy g would be too hip to the idea of windows taking a ding in the market share however.

Apr 5, 06 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

good points myriam. that's ultimately why i switched 3 years ago.

unfortunately, most will likely still find the hardware price point a bit too much to bear and, as you said, won't bother with osx at all since most third party software that runs on osx runs on xp also. that said, i think the software that would really appeal to pc users are the iLife programs like garageband, iphoto, idvd, et al

Apr 5, 06 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

myriam: whoa...settle.

Would it wreck your world to find out that apple's production is outsourced to the same companies that make the shitty, poorly designed computers you speak of?

For all intensive purposes, mac hardware failure rates are the same as dell's, and macs are actually more prone to systemic design issues (there have already been two revisions of the macbook pro due to design problems)

Apr 5, 06 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Honestly I would be surprised if you could back that mac hardware failure rate up. And I'm always interested in learning, so go for it.

As far as I've always understood, and been told by PC-loving techies as well as mac-heads, the thing with Apple is that they pay attention to their quality control. Hence booting motorola, etc. Even besides the innards, things like a titanium case, instead of crappy black plastic, better trackpads, better keypads, and amazingly better lcd screens (universally acknowledged) all make the argument for a better built product.

Apr 5, 06 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

But now that Macs are like 95% PC parts does it really matter outside of the case? I mean, you are stuck with a limited array of factory selected parts. Now that Macs are coming closer to PCs, there seems to be almost no benefit. I dunno.

Apr 5, 06 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
gvg

Ok, first person with any experience running Autocad, Rhino, 3dMax, etc. on the Intel Mac please share with the group.

Apr 5, 06 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
gvg

Ok, first person with any experience running Autocad, Rhino, 3dMax, etc. on the Intel Mac please share with the group.

Apr 5, 06 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

the party line over the years was that apple had a tighter, more-optimized integration between the hardware, firmware, and the os. this allowed for mac systems with "slower" processors to compete performance-wise with "faster" rated intel or amd chips (e.g a 1.5GHz mac could easily keep up with a 2GHz pc).

being a dual user, i've personally found this to be the case, but i'm only one example and i'm not comparing the new Intel-based mac.

basically, i would only question your "95% pc parts" statement...i don't know that that's accurate since it's the processor that's changed. there are still a ton of other chipsets and doo-dads in the mac that haven't changed.

not 100% on this, so someone please educate me if i'm wrong...

Apr 5, 06 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
freebornman

i second the autocad rhino 3DS experience...plus revit, catia etc.

Apr 5, 06 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

here's the latest on the macbook pro.

There's a reason that even mac die-hards stay away from the first gen of a new product.

you can also google the busting caps on early iMAC G5s, or the heat isssues with the early G5 quads.

the rest - somewhat, somewhat not.

Apple offers a range of build and design quality, as do many PC manufactures...you can't compare a $2500 macbook pro to a $500 black friday sale PC, just like you wouldn't compare an ibook to a lenovo IBM txxp - they're just aimed different markets.

but compare within the same market, and alot of the stuff you mention is either personal preference or highly debateable. again withing markets, quality control is about even across the whole industry.

I wouldn't say the better LCD screens thing in universally acknowledged, either - again apple doesn't make them, they're LG or samsung panels (which dell and others also use in their equivalent displays).

the computer hardware world is a rather incestuous bunch, apple included. Apple outsources production of their computers to a couple east asian conglomerates. quanta is the big one, and they also produce computers for dell, HP, gateway, compaq... In realitiy there are only about 3-4 companies that acutally produce laptops..

it's more or less marketing much past that, and apple is very good at that...

Apr 5, 06 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

broccolijet: that's been the reason for the claim of fewer hardware incompatibilities, but the whole Ghz/faster thing is a different animal.

apple was able to keep up in some areas because the architecture of the cpu is very different. we're seeing the same thing now with intel, a 2Ghz core duo is faster in most cases than a 3Ghz Pentium D simply because it's a different architecture that does more per clock cycle.

and the guts of the intel macs are more or less stock intel reference designs, hardware/chipset wise

Apr 5, 06 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

ah...cool. thanks for clearing that up manamana. funny thing that whole marketing/perception/misconception thing huh?

Apr 5, 06 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I guess what I'm refering to is the switch from SCSI to SATA, now Intel, also using regular ole' NVidia cards etc. I guess the chipset thing is a difference, but will that make much of a difference? Are the Intel Core Duos still RISC as opposed to SISC?

Apr 5, 06 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

shit Hasselhoff, ya got me...i'm outta my depth. manamana?

Apr 5, 06 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

there is going to be a pc-burning party in hyde park this summer, you are all invited

Apr 5, 06 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I mean, I just speced out a G5 (obviously won't run Windows) that is comperable to my PC and it cost $500 more now than my PC cost 1.5 years ago.

Apr 5, 06 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

any modern CPU uses RISC on some level...the intels just go through x86 to get there.

...but that's kinda not what I think hasselhoff meant to get at....

apple is using Intel chipsets.

hasselhoff: include the price of the OS and even out the warranties and you're probably a bit closer.

All this said, I'm going to be upgrading my home workstation before the end of the year. if there's a woodcrest-based "powermac" out at that time, it'll certainly be in the running. I'd love to dual boot without any hassle.

Apr 5, 06 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

yeah i think the intels use a RISC type architecture.

i'm going to wait until official drivers are released for the hardware. as soon as that happens i'm gettin' me a macbook pro. might consider a mini as a rendering station

Apr 5, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

Its incredible- any piece of software can be run pretty close to full on from one machine....

And what is interesting about this is that it gives apple the upper hand again.

Whilst they were already in a unique position, creating hardware with a custom designed operating environment, they are still in that position, but with no downside- now windows and linux can be run properly all on the same machine -any software- anywhere. Incredible.

Price accoring to this discussion would be the only downside. And on system architecture Apple is without a doubt better designed and therefore at the outset perhaps costlier.

BUT The early xp on mac hack was benchmarked for running photoshop under xp faster than any pc laptop - that is to say it ran faster on a macbook pro! again incredible.

And in money terms the benefits far outweigh the risk. I agree that there have clearly been teething problems with the intel transition- as you would expect- but they are working to instantly sort this out with pretty good levels of support. The bonuses with macs often overlooked are the added extras- where is the isight in a dell laptop? what about the ilife bits? not useful for everyone- but included nonetheless.

And no I dont work for apple- but then who wouldnt want a machine that can do everything?

Apr 5, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

the base camp includes the drivers for a windows install.

Apr 5, 06 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I love this.

However, my initial thoughts are that price alone will keep this from ever being mainstream. This is almost a marketing stunt, but a good one.

So let's see:

Apple:

Adv - great design, not a PC

Disadv - design not so unique anymore, no/limited support (having to send a laptop in for repair is a very large liability, in my mind)
COST - what does the average comparable Apple laptop cost? $300-400 more than a PC, I believe, and $333 (XP Pro at Taret). That's at least $600 more than a PC

Dell:

Adv - superior service (next day, onsite repair, up to 4 years), designs are getting better, better graphics card

Disadv - pretty boring

So it'll come down to approx. a 30% or more cost increase, with no support. Hmmm. That's pretty discouraging now that I think about it.

Dell's new M90 workstation has an option for a 512mb Quadro card. not that I honestly care too much, but even the standard 256 Quadro will trump the Geforce cards. Looks are the best Dell has, imho.

Can someone prove me wrong? I'd love to have a reason to seriously consider this beyond it being sexy.

Apr 5, 06 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Apr 5, 06 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

how about it looks good with an ipod then? having the ability to boot either
xp or osx is killer, add that option to some amazing designs and they have a
real winner here...stock will soar,more.

Apr 5, 06 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Boot camp is still the best thing since sliced bread...No more frustrated attempts to run virtual PC, a really shoody piece of work that is.

Apple design is still sooo much better...Isn't it just a pleasure to use such a simple and elegant machine as a Mac? Its like heaven! Satan's been controlling wars, plagues, prostitution, and G.W. Bush all these years on a beige (black, these days) PC.

Apr 5, 06 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

my laptop pc is white.

if you squint it almost looks like a mac.

Apr 5, 06 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

For all those people that have mentioned purchasing a G5, it won't work with a powerpc mac, you want an intel mac (macbook pro, imac, mac mini). Also running windows xp on a mac will allow users to try out the many viruses that has been all the rage with pc users. Why would you want a dell their products are shit (keep falling apart), and look awe...ful. I'm looking forward to consumers emailing software companies (autodesk, mcneel, bentley) and saying they are running their software on a mac. I'd like them to sit up and listen to their customers (current and potential ones) and port their software to os x. It's not difficult companies like luxology can do it why can't they?

Apr 5, 06 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

some of us dont' like OS X. I like the hardware designs, but OS X was an ugly nightmare for the brief time I used it. I dont' like Windows, either, but I know it.

Dell's might not as well built as an Apple, but I can have a tech support the next day, with part in hand, and repaired in minutes.

Correct me if I am wrong, but with Apple you have package up the laptop and send it out? That's a huge loss of productivity.

Apr 5, 06 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

yes -- the repair thing puts you out of commission for about 4 days (speaking from experience)...but i have to admit the whole process was actually really easy and not a hassle at all. if i had to rely on that computer for my paycheck and had to sit through 4 days of downtime it'd be another story though.

frem001 -- agree the virus thing is a HUGE deal!

Apr 5, 06 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Yeah, I don't get what AutoDesk's hangup is on not making a Mac compatiable version of autocad. I guess the Apple marketshare is not large enough to warrant the money and effort needed to make a compatiable program. Apple only commands 3.3% of PC's sold.

Trace, when did you use OS X? When I first switched, with 10.1, I hated it SO much...I used the classic environment all the time. Now, I have 10.4 and it just rocks my socks. It always works, and is just so easy to use.

Apr 5, 06 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I used it about a year and a half ago on a dual G5

I have other dislikes, like the one button deal, the ugly icons (actually, that's a big deal to me)

broccolijet (man, that name just brings up some ugly images!) - yeah, the laptop I am starting to look for again will be a money machine, and I don't have my own dedicated tech guy, so down time is HUGE dollars, not to mention possibly jeopardizing deadlines and contacts.

4 days is too long. That will pretty much decide things for me. 24 hours is painful enough.

I agree viruses are scary. I actually keep my workstations offline, just to make sure there is no chance of them getting anything.

Apr 5, 06 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I should add, though, that if there was some way around this, I would seriously consider one. I would pay a little more (probably not 30%, not when the PCs are so close in looks) for good design.

Apr 5, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

lol i love mac's icons. and mac has gone two buttons now with the new mighty mouse. any 2 button mouse, however, has always worked with mac.

i think its an interesting move on apples part. i converted to mac when i started college, and will never go back to windows. when i must use autocad, i work on the pcs at school (dell) updated every 2 years or so. when using it i tend to try to use the hot corners i have set on my mac for expose, they make life so much easier than a taskbar....

it will be nice to have windows boot on a mac, to me the only benefit of it however is that i could play computer games that are windows only (as most are).

Apr 6, 06 12:37 am  · 
 · 
::sg::

Looks I am going to have to buy a mb-pro now. I will be sad to give up my Dell 700m - the best laptop I ever owwned. I was going to buy a mini for school just so I can learn Mac while am in school. But if I can get a top of the line mac and pc in box, why the hell not.

Apr 6, 06 12:37 am  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

and now this!

link

Apr 6, 06 8:59 am  · 
 · 
rayray

now what chairman?

Apr 6, 06 10:29 am  · 
 · 
mimo

I think Chairman is referring to this :

http://www.macrumors.com

Apr 6, 06 10:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: