Archinect
anchor

Moved to Shanghai

Gotan

Hi,
I posted a few questions here about going and landing a job in Shanghai..
well, here I am...did it.

So here is my update....

I spent the last 2 months backpacking in mellow, laid-back South-East Asia, so Shanghai was at first a bit unsettling.

The rumours say that for expats to settle and land a job here you should expect it to take 1 month.

Well it's been barely 3 weeks, I got a new job as a project designer, a new flat, new mobile, new wardrobe (shopping paradise here) and I am already on a business trip to Guanzhou and Hong kong....so the change is quite unsettling.

Wages can be bad to very good, depending on your work experience. I don't recommend the place to recent graduates without work experience. I think to enjoy the ride here, you need some experience...because there is not much time to show you around and pencil-pushers are plentiful and cheap-labour.

Projects tend to be big and based on a Masterplan previously done by an architect firm's. Other architects firms join in to get some pieces of the cake. Since Construction drawings are made by Licensed chinese institute, foreign firms do mostly design development. Institute are like dealing with that engineer or contractor back home with all the hassle it involve...but you get less workload on details and more time for design...well time is quite relative. Because in one week of job, I got introduced to 5-6 projects. Enough to feel a bit uneasy at the end of my first week and thinking wtf am I got myself into. Sometimes I feel it is almost good I don't speak chinese; so I can actually work in my head during endless meeting chatters...

But since a masterplan has already been set, and construction sometimes is already started in some ways...project designing is more on the aesthetic aspects or superficial in some ways than starting a project from scratch.

Yes, meeting are looooong here. First time I was here, I spent 6 hours discussing brick colors scheme with a room filled with 10 of the client's assistant.

But, something is going on in China. Even though the wave is passing, there is still a lot to be done and it is great to be part of this moment in construction history.

Let me know if any archinecter are in Shanghai? Could go get a beer at the ARCH!

Apr 4, 06 12:24 pm
mimo

congrats on the job and new life! just curious, do you speak chinese as well??

Apr 4, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Gotan

not at all...
I will try to learn some,
I just learned that you can download Mandarin classes as Podcasts on the ipod...nice!

Apr 4, 06 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
joe

shit yeah. inspirational stuff. hopefully at some point I'll be doing something along those lines. good luck with the job

Apr 4, 06 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
AP

best of luck. keep us posted.

Apr 5, 06 10:13 am  · 
 · 
aesculanus

how good is "very good" pay?

Apr 5, 06 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
tempo01

Hey, how's going now in shanghai ? if you like, drop me a line, working here too as Urban Planner .... whats about the ARCH-Thing ? meetings with other architects ?

Apr 5, 06 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Wow. I remember you heading there. Good luck, sounds like you are in for an awesome experience.

Apr 5, 06 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
Gotan

Cheers! I will keep you updated...will try to upload some pics once I get my laptop...

It's seems the architect's place for a drink in Shanghai is HuaiHuai's on wednesday

Apr 6, 06 4:47 am  · 
 · 
murray

hey, I'm working in shanghai too. Just started a new job at BAU. Where are you working Gotan? I came here after graduation over a year ago with nothing more than a bachelors degree and ended up doing lame concrete victorian villas and spanish style apartments. Where is HuaiHuai's? I'll have to come check it out next week. ARCH is great, but have you been to A Future Perfect?

Apr 6, 06 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

i'm now coming to shanghai in june- so maybe an archinects gathering is in order?

I saw last week that they had ripped down the flower market in the old dog racing sadium? It changes so fast- are there still more incredible new things opening up?
or is it getting a bit stale?

and good luck with the job...sounds like so much fun

Apr 14, 06 11:16 am  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

What about the health insurance plan you guys have?

Apr 14, 06 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Gotan

Well let me know! Would be effectively nice to do a gatherings. Just went to Bar Rouge for the first time yesterday. The roof terrace in front of the River is quite amazing with a great view of the Big Syringue (Pearl Oriental Tower) and the Jinmao Tower (formely known as tallest tower in the world)

see ya!

Apr 14, 06 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
prism

i am a kenyan architect practicing n kenys-www.prismarchitects.8k.com.Are there many employment opportunities?

Apr 15, 06 5:26 am  · 
 · 
zink

dude show us pictures of your flat!! and are you working for an international firm?

Apr 15, 06 6:16 am  · 
 · 
Cassiel

It's YY's! As in Yin and Yang. :)

I'll send you a mail soon, would be fun to get together.

Apr 25, 06 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

I'm going to be there in about a week, so if anyone fancies an archinect party
please post here.....

May 28, 06 5:36 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

jlxarchitect - it is so american to inquire about 'health insurance'. It is really not that important in all parts of the world, as the doctors are not a bunch of bloodsucking agents of the insurance companies like in america...

May 28, 06 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

you should be the one to know, doc

May 28, 06 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

good one, ckl!!!

May 28, 06 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
chingale

Gotan,

You still out there? Would love to here an update on your Shanghai adventure.

I just got back from a couple weeks in China (Shanghai, Suzhou, Don Guan, Shenzen, etc.) on a biz trip (non-arch related, I'm an M.Arch 2007 applicant) and left thinking that I would defintely try to do a study abroad studio in either Shanghai or HK to increase my chances of landing an internship or 1st job outta school there.

How is the Mandarin going? I'm taking beg. Mandarin thru work now and I loving it.

-chingale

Mar 24, 07 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
Gotan

hehe...yeah, it`s a one year old thread now.

I have been here for a year, and looking forward to stay at least one more year...time enough to see those projects rise from the ground.

update:

after getting more used to the culture and learned some mandarin enough to handle my daily needs... Shanghai still seems a fast paced city, like on a liquid foundations, i.e. things go down, things go up, like a drawing that keeps being erased and redrawn.

The city wants so much to access the ``International`` city scene, that it put all the infrastructure in place but sometimes it`s citizens are not even ready for it...like the world largest skatepark

http://www.bmxonline.com/bmx/features/article/0,15737,1125204,00.html

where skaters actually have to be flown in!

but as well,

Shanghai is still a laid back city, still too chaotic and messy to be a power-money-business with suits walking everywhere.

Mar 25, 07 1:15 am  · 
 · 
MacRoen

Gotan, I have been here in Shanghai for a year as well... Are you still around? May I ask you for what firm you are working?

Take care.

Mar 25, 07 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: