Archinect
anchor

Syracuse or SCI-Arc?

joh

need to decide in like a day or two since i'm already passed the Syracuse deadline...

any inputs? I know both have very different styles...

Apr 4, 06 1:03 am
Marlin

grad or undergrad?

(ima hear it for this)

Undergrad: Syracuse. Test the waters. If it doesn't suit you, bring what you've learned to SCIArc.

Apr 4, 06 1:20 am  · 
 · 
joh

March 1... yeah it it was for Barch it wouldnt be so hard.

Apr 4, 06 1:35 am  · 
 · 
joh

March 1...

Apr 4, 06 1:36 am  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

well as a resource syracuse couldn't hold LA's jock...

Apr 4, 06 1:41 am  · 
 · 
Marlin

...one of the best things about sciarc is that, if a professor is discussing an aspect of theory, an aspect of materiality, construction, design, chances are they're citing an example of something that can be found built in Los Angeles. Peter Cook used to say of SCIArc, "You could come to LA, and what at the AA might just be talked about, at SCIArc you could drive around and see it built." (paraphrasing from memory)
SCIArc exists as a laboratory inside Los Angeles,and as a result, SCIArc is never short on inspiration or the opportunity to directly engage the work of your instructors.
Besides...it's upstate.
"Look outside. It's sunny every day here. It's like manifest destiny."
Except today in LA. It's raining, which is the best time to see the Salk Institute two hours south on the freeway. Wet concrete and rainwater pouring out the scuppers.

(Im a postcard!)

Apr 4, 06 4:53 am  · 
 · 
switters

that is an easy one: don't do syracuse m.arch 1.

Apr 4, 06 6:50 am  · 
 · 
santa monica

Another consideration: where you'd like to work after school. Los Angeles, well, duh. But if you're thinking NYC, Syracuse might be a better bet with a stronger alumni network on the East Coast...

Apr 4, 06 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
rckaflla88

it really depends on what you wanna focus on, syracuse has a new dean in mark robbins, a new buildling in the warehouse, and a new grad chair in mark linder (theorist) so syracuse grad program is headed upward

i jsut decided on syracuse...starting this fall in the march 1..so get at me if you want more info on decision and else

Apr 4, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
joh

big thanx to u all for inputs! much helped. hey, rckaflla88. did you go to the spring reception last fri? email me w/ details. will be much appreciated. [email protected]

Apr 4, 06 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
switters

just curious, yeah there are new people at SU, but where is the grad program going?

Apr 4, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: