Archinect
anchor

lunch & learn

trka

I am organizing this event in my office and would go with innovative and green materials. Any suggestions?

Apr 3, 06 3:52 pm
4arch

icynene and nanogel love to give you free lunches

Apr 3, 06 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

Can't go wrong with a Spinach Salad. Oooh, maybe a nice Spanakopita.

Apr 3, 06 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

TRKA-What city are you in? Your local climate determines what the best sustainable practices are and available materials.

First define the 'green' that your office is asking for. Is your office following USGBC or willing to go further? Check out these sites for a primer:
cmpbs.org Center for Maximum Building Potential
architecture2030.org
mbdc.com Cradle to Cradle
for a more holistic understandings of what we need to do as architects.

Then-
Find local companies to help gain LEED MR5.1 & MR5.2 (i.e. the 500 mile regionally extracted materials) and minimize shipping costs

Then choose betweens learning about systems versus materials.
Materials are more of the architects perogative, systems tend to be the engineers sandbox. In materials, you can go for rapidly renewable resources, recycled, and indoor environmental quality. Remember- that resin encrusted recycled metal shavings doesn't really save the planet. Most resins have toxic chemicals in them, are flammable and can only be down-cycled not recycled.

Or look at innovative structural systems, including: SIPs, ICFs, rammed earth, green walls and 'Green Sandwich'.

Apr 3, 06 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
trka

thanks a lot guys, you are very serious!

Apr 4, 06 10:19 am  · 
 · 
A

Make sure the mayonaise on those sandwiches hasn't turned. Got sick as a dog once after watching some gypsum company hype their latest mold resistant product.

Look into stratica flooring for a lunch & learn that hypes LEED.

Apr 4, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
JAG

I miss lunch & Learns....Now that I'm working for myself, I wonder if I can schedule a Lunch & Learn with suppliers for a studio of one.

Apr 4, 06 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i had a lunch and learn the other day. i ate well and learned a lot!!!

Apr 4, 06 9:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: