Archinect
anchor

Colored concrete

happyvirus

Hello

Has anyone worked on a color shotcrete facade? I'm looking into using a colored shotcrete facade like BCN forum by Herzog and DeMuron or Neutelings Riedijk's university building in red concrete. I'm searching for the concrete pigments and its methods however all the google search is showing me mostly color decorated floors that have different methods that I have imagined. I'm guessing that one adds the pigment to concrete mixture so that the mix itself is colored rather than applying color coat on top after concrete is cured.

please advise? Thank you very much in advance!

Apr 21, 11 6:03 am

happyvirus, I think in principle your idea is sound. Is the area you are looking to build going to be made from made from one batch? I think the proportion of pigment to concrete mix would have to very consistent for the desired result. You could perhaps add the colour as a skim layer for the final finish

Nonetheless good luck with it

Apr 21, 11 9:09 am  · 
 · 
eyewash

Not sure about a shotcrete application, but I've had better results with integral color concrete than an applied stain after the fact...  check out Davis Colors.  They have pretty good pigment/mix proportions developed to maintain consistency.  Like all concrete, you'll live & die by how good or bad your concrete finishers are.

Apr 21, 11 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Greg Patterson

Shotcrete is colored just like regular concrete.  Consistency is maintained by keeping the cement to pigment ratio consistent as well as making sure the other raw materials are from the same source.  Chaotic Pigments is your best option for this application, thier unique packaging is great for exotic mixes like shotcrete mixes and thier priceing and quality is the best in the industry.  Search for Chaotic Pigments on google and contact them for a color chart and you will be well on your way. 

Apr 21, 11 11:24 am  · 
 · 
happyvirus

thank you so much for your help!  will update on you with the final facade image when the building is finished (of course only if we get the b/d permit to do shotcrete facade in a very historical district....)

Apr 23, 11 3:05 am  · 
 · 
Michael Chusid

I am a consultant to a major producer of pigments for colored concrete. I am currently writing a guide specification for integrally-colored shotcrete. I invite you to contact me directly to discuss your project. +1 818 774 0003 Pacific Standard Time, or michael at chusid dot com.

May 2, 11 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
D Buch

Hello. This is a major application that I am looking into as well. Am based in Muscat, Oman.  Consistent Pigmentation and raw material pallete as Greg Patterson says is imperative.

Happyvirus, please email me your coordinates on [email protected] and I will get someone from my relevant BU to speak to you. We do have something in place and is being pursued vigorously.

May 5, 11 2:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: